[BoM Spoilers] Spiking Mistwraiths with a Deceased Kandra's Spikes

Elend  Venture

So I am curious, if say, a live mistwraith were spiked with the deceased Paalm's spikes (or those of any other deceased kandra), what does anyone imagine would happen? I would expect nothing at all, however I could not find any information upon the topic and was curious about anyone elses theories. Is there any chance of resurrection of the Kandra in question's soul?

Edited by Chaos

4 hours ago, Elend Venture said:

So I am curious, if say, a live mistwraith were spiked with the deceased Paalm's spikes (or those of any other deceased kandra), what does anyone imagine would happen? I would expect nothing at all, however I could not find any information upon the topic and was curious about anyone elses theories. Is there any chance of resurrection of the Kandra in question's soul?

You would get a Kandra of questionble mental health. MeLaan kept her memories in her leg, not in her spikes.

Any resistance against re-using belssing spikes is "mostly just cultural".   In normal circumstances (or rather with Normal non-trellium Blessing spikes) it creates a new Kandra and is currently the only way the Kandra know to maintain their numbers since they do not know how to manufacture more Blessing Spikes. If a Kandra is without their Spikes for too long, however, their memories will biologically degrade to the point that if enough time has passed before they are replaced, they will essentially be a new person.  

BlackYeti

Kandra, you're not getting any more of those. But they can die, so what's stopping them from creating new kandra out of the mistwraith just by recycling the Blessings?

Brandon Sanderson

That is mostly just cultural.

*paraphrased* In The Bands of Mourning, you might expect to see kandra using other kandra's spikes.

Shadows of Self Edinburgh UK signing (Oct. 21, 2015)

Agate

I can guess two possible options for the kandra.

1. God Sazed endowed the gift of presence on the now mistwraiths.

2. Some of the kandra survived in the cave with the Terrisman and people of the city, along with the small mistwraiths, these are re-born with the spikes they pulled out during the resolution.

I can imagine too that some kandra on assignment may have hidden in the shelters with the rest of humanity.

Brandon Sanderson

The kandra.

Yes, they live. The people were smart enough, eventually, to replace their spikes. (And there were a couple who were on assignment who made it to storage caches.)

However, there will likely never be any more of them, since Hemalurgy is required to make them. They are now some of the few people who can communicate directly with Sazed, who—like Ruin—can whisper to people most easily when they are connected to him via spikes. With some speculation, you can probably guess what kind of roles the kandra will end up playing in future books.

Kaimipono

On a broader level, is Hemalurgy officially dead, then? Or is it still extant in some Ruin-free (but still messy) form? (If it's gone, is there any imbalance since Preservation's magic power is kept and Ruin's isn't?)

Brandon Sanderson

Is Hemalurgy dead? No, not at all. It, like the other two powers, was not created by Ruin or Preservation, but by the natural state of the world and its interaction with the gods who created it. It still requires the same method of creation, but very few people are aware of how it works.

Hero of Ages Q&A - Time Waster's Guide (Oct. 15, 2008)

midwestredditor

How are there kandra and koloss? Kandra especially, since they did their "mass suicide" thing at the end of the original trilogy.

Brandon Sanderson

The nice thing about the kandra for me in the narrative was that, though removing their spikes turns them feral, you can always stick those spikes back in. TenSoon feared that this was the end of his people, and it could have been, if those spikes hadn't gone back in quickly. As it was, there were costs. Time spent without spikes causes a kandra's memories to deteriorate, and some that were left a relatively long time were essentially reborn as new people. But the race survived, even if it is unlikely that their numbers will be added to.

Brandon Sanderson

Did TenSoon survive, then (as the TenSoon who experienced growth under Vin)?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, though he did lose some things.

/r/Fantasy_Bookclub Alloy of Law Q&A (Jan. 20, 2012)

mathota123

When a kandra loses its spikes temporarily and its memories degrade, is that happening because of the spikes decaying, or is something biological actually happening to where it has stored its memories?

Brandon Sanderson

It's biological. Good question!

Stormlight Three Update #6 (Jan. 23, 2017)