WoKs Prime Reactions. Chapter by Chapter First Read.

Karger

Chapter 1

Elhokar is more of an idiot and Dalinar is considerably worse written.

Also Elhokar is a total jerk.  Way stupider as well. 

Chapter 2

What!!!  Amaram is supposed to be smart in this version!???  Jasnah deems him a threat because of it and not because of his stupidity?

Chapter 3

Chapter three needs... Work.  Their interactions don't feel genuine.  Dalinar is less of a person.  Merin sounds cliche.

Edited by Karger

1 hour ago, Karger said:

Chapter 1

Elhokar is more of an idiot

Elhokar is a total jerk.  Way stupider as well.

Heh, nice

1 hour ago, Karger said:

Chapter 2

What!!!  Amaram is supposed to be smart in this version!???  Jasnah deems him a threat because of it and not because of his stupidity?

Eww

Oh man, that map! And the double eye, too. Wow.

I cannot get over the fact that it's spelled Dalenar.

Pg. 4 -- "two living sons"? Did Dalinar Prime have more kids in this version that died when they were young?

Pg. 4 -- "Meridas was of a lowly rank". Dalinar is a lot more pompous in this version. Wait, sorry -- it's Dalenar.

I can't tell if Prime Dalinar is meant to be old or young Dalinar. His voice as a character isn't very distinct.

Pg. 9 -- so Plate is specifically made of steel in this version? Do they even have steel on Roshar?

(I'm just gonna decide right now that putting the word Prime after anything means I'm referring to the WoK Prime version, while leaving it alone defaults to the version of SA we have today. Also, if there's a character in modern SA who has a different name in WoK Prime but is obviously the same person, I'm going to use their name in front of the word Prime interchangeably with their WoK Prime name.)

Pg. 9 -- "Shardplate's Awakened Strength" woah, woah, woah! Are Breaths a magic source in Roshar Prime? You can see here where Warbreaker was meant to be a SA prequel.

Pg. 10 -- "he was nearly as fine as his brother had been". Who's brother? Dalinar's? Aredor's? Did Adolin Prime have an older brother who died (as per my first comment on pg. 4)?

Pg. 11 -- getting used to the way Dalenar is spelled, though it's still jarring when I think about it too hard.

Pg. 12 -- Thoughtgiver? I thought at first maybe the Heralds had different names here, but is it possible that Thoughtgiver is Returned?

Pg. 13 -- can he please stop using the phrase "dampen his frustration"?

Pg. 13/14 -- wow, that was a bad way to write Merin's entrance.

Pg. 14 -- Why does Dalinar Prime refer to Jasnah as Lady Jasnah? She's his niece!

Pg. 23 -- so they did have an older brother. Interesting -- wonder if we'll get a flashback.

All in all, I enjoyed this chapter. I'd give it a 6-7/10.

I'm not entirely sure if I want to read this, tbh. I couldn't get through the Merin PoV chapters when they were released on his site. I'm just leafing through this... huh, so this is where "the man who calls himself Taln" came from.

Chapter 4

Taln!!!!

Chapter 5

Bonding a shardblade used to take 100 days.  I wonder why?

The Oathgates are already active but Urithiru does not seem to be a place.  It was called Ral Eram and they just conquered it.

Renarin either already has magic or has somehow become a CSI

Chapter 6

Shallan is engaged already.  I wonder who the guy is?

Wait what?  Dalinar is betrothed!  To a young woman he hates!  When did that happen?

Jasnah's PoV is actually done quite well.  Amaram is clearly behind the current plot to get Jasnah married off although I can't reconcile his planing with his personality.

Amaram actually reminds me a lot of Littlefinger but his personality is off.  He is way too stupid. 

Chapter 8

Szeth makes his appearance!

Chapter 9

Ick!  The girl Dalinar is supposed to marry is fourteen.  She seems like an interesting character but couldn't you age her at least a tad?  As is this is just sooo wrong even if the marriage was not his idea and will remain unconsumated.

Shallan's thing is singing not drawing.  A bit odd. 

I do think the politics is done considerably better although we have not had a lot of Jasnah PoVs in SA.  Dalinar, Adolin and Kaladin don't care about politics and Shallan is too new.

OK I kind wish Taln's entrance had happened in WoKs or WoR.  It is both ridiculous and amazing.

Chapter 10

So Shallan's family is actually important and Taravangian does not have control over Szeth.  Instead a new character Ahven is in charge of him.

Chapter 11

Ah good.  Shallan's fiance has been fridged.  We never met him and now he is dead. 

Chapter 12

Zahel!  He is just as grumpy as ever.

2 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

maybe because thats not Shallan XD

Brandon didnt invent Shallan until the Canon Way of Kings

She is called Shrini, is excitable, uncertain about her place in life and also happens to be Vaden and Jasnah's ward.

Edited by Karger

10 minutes ago, Karger said:

She is called Shrini, is excitable, uncertain about her place in life and also happens to be Vaden and Jasnah's ward.

:rolleyes:

i admit though, its pretty hard(for me at least) to see her as anyone other than Shallan

Kabsal

Huh. It seems a proto-Shallan did already exist as of this version [Way of Kings Prime]. I thought with the prologue's discussions of House Davar that Shallan would have been a more recent development.

Peter Ahlstrom

Brandon sees Shinri and Shallan as entirely different people who have the same last name and are both Jasnah's ward. However, most of the other characters are the same people as they are in the published novel.

General Reddit 2017 (Sept. 19, 2017)  

Edited by Eternal Khol

2 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

Brandon sees Shinri and Shallan as entirely different people who have the same last name and are both Jasnah's ward. However, most of the other characters are the same people as they are in the published novel.

Hm.

Chapter 13

Lhan!  I hope you are better treated this time around. 

This chapter is perfect!

Chapter 14

Taln reading in a library shocking everyone is hilarious.  Jasnah freaking out about the fact that he can read and does so publicly is a scene I needed.

Chapter 15

Taln I love you.  You are just so perfect.  It really is a missed opportunity to not have had him around during WoR.

OMG.  Taln is into Jasnah?  That makes so much sense and would kind of be perfect.  The Atheist marrying the deity.  They are also perfectly perfect for each other.  I now ship Tasnah!  Someone write a fanfic!

Chapter 17(I missed a few)

Vasher is a beast!  I kind of wish Kaladin trained with him more.

Chapter 18.

Yes more Taln!

Lhan is actually a really good guy.  Who would have thought?

Chapter 19

Szeth is killing more people haza!

Poor Jasnah.  The characterization done on her is excellent though.  I really do hope we get more of her.

Adolin is great!  Getting Kaladin on a date good for you.

Yep he is definitely Littlefinger.

3 hours ago, Karger said:

Ick!  The girl Dalinar is supposed to marry is fourteen.  She seems like an interesting character but couldn't you age her at least a tad?  As is this is just sooo wrong even if the marriage was not his idea and will remain unconsumated.

I find it hilarious how weird you think arranged marriage is and for someone with that much of an age difference. I lived in India for 3 years and marriages like that are very common.

34 minutes ago, FantasyFanatic said:

I find it hilarious how weird you think arranged marriage is and for someone with that much of an age difference. I lived in India for 3 years and marriages like that are very common.

In this case I think there is a pretty good reason for my cultural taboo although of course I am not objective.

Adolin is a really good friend even if he is totally about to die.

Taravangian is way more evil.  Poor Shallan.

Please make Taln do a Thermopylae.

Edited by Karger

On 7/8/2020 at 8:31 AM, Karger said:

The magic system is weird.  Amaram being smart is wrong on so many levels!

Screenshot_20200708_091826.png.546efc48e72866a2fb2d8b46b22a583d.png

This, right? So apparently Soulcasting wasn't a single Surge but available to all the Orders, who weren't merely associated with one of the Ten Essences but could Soulcast said Essence?

Could you go into more detail with the magic system? 

On 7/8/2020 at 8:10 AM, Karger said:

Why?  They are the two greatest kickers of arse on Roshar.

No. Just no.

On 7/8/2020 at 8:31 AM, Karger said:

Elhokar is actually evil.  I hate it.

:)

On 7/8/2020 at 8:54 AM, Karger said:

Adolin is a really good friend even if he is totally about to die.

Oh right, no Adolin PoVs in this one, or rather Aredor

Jasnah's PoV is actually done quite well.  Amaram is clearly behind the current plot to get Jasnah married off although I can't reconcile his planing with his personality.

I do think the politics is done considerably better although we have not had a lot of Jasnah PoVs in SA.  Dalinar, Adolin and Kaladin don't care about politics and Shallan is too new.

Poor Jasnah.  The characterization done on her is excellent though.  I really do hope we get more of her.

Enjoying the huge windfall of Jasnah PoVs?

Edited by R J

Just now, R J said:

Enjoying the huge windfall of Jasnah PoVs?

Yes.  Giving her an arc is one of the things that this book does and SA does not.  I really want more Jasnah!

1 minute ago, R J said:

No. Just no.

You would have to read their interactions but they are kind of amazing.

1 minute ago, Karger said:

You would have to read their interactions but they are kind of amazing.

2 hours ago, Karger said:

Taln reading in a library shocking everyone is hilarious.  Jasnah freaking out about the fact that he can read and does so publicly is a scene I needed.

The idea of the self-proclaimed uber masculine ultra chad soldier Herald partaking in the Vorin feminine art of reading is lolz

1 minute ago, R J said:

The idea of the self-proclaimed uber masculine ultra chad soldier Herald partaking in the Vorin feminine art of reading is lolz

It really is.  It is even better that everyone thinks he is pretending to read because obviously soldiers can't read. 

43 minutes ago, R J said:

So, how is the magic system different here? 

So far it has not been explained.  Certain people can "soulcast" and doing so changes them(they also live longer).  There is some kind of augury also not explained and Kaladin can summon, control and see wind, sometimes when touching a glyphward.

According to Taln.

A Stoneward can feel the rocks, much like a Windrunner can sense movements in the air, or an Onyxseer can see the patterns of time itself.

Edited by Karger