Stormlight Marathon

17 minutes ago, Mistbornwithakitty said:

Honestly?  I'm the same, I skipped Szeth the first time around, and although I'm enjoying his interludes *now*, that's because I know all the goodie good stuff that happens later!

I've been skimming the interludes. I'm just so impatient for the main story line, since it's so so good. 

20 minutes ago, Mistbornwithakitty said:

I think the correct pronunciation is "Ad-a-lin".  I've always said "A-dole-lin".  Either one may be correct, I've heard both.  What do you say?

A'-da-lin. emphasis on the first syllable, but soft A. Rhymes with Madeline. I'm guess that's not the right way, but I don't think I could mentally switch now even if i learned that was wrong.   

23 minutes ago, Mistbornwithakitty said:

I'm a HUGE fan of this twist too, actually!  There are books where it's a scandal for women to read, but never men.  At least, none that I've come across (if you know of one, GIMMIE).  Trope breakers are life! 

Gotta love the Sanderson trope breaking! (Trope Breaker sounds like an order of knights radiant)

26 minutes ago, Mistbornwithakitty said:

We're gonna have a lot of Moash hate going on in these discussions.  I already predict it! 

I can't really remember much of his story line, but I enjoy him a lot in this book, at least so far. I don't "like" him, but I think he adds a nice level of tension. Wildcard!

22 hours ago, PleatherDuster said:

A'-da-lin. emphasis on the first syllable, but soft A. Rhymes with Madeline. I'm guess that's not the right way, but I don't think I could mentally switch now even if i learned that was wrong.   

@Mistbornwithakitty

Two things on the pronunciation of Brandon Sanderson character names. 

1) Brandon absolutely does not care how other people pronounce them. He never corrects fans or anything. However you pronounce it is both correct and cool :).

2) For how Brandon pronounces them. If the first vowel of a character name is A then it's usually a hard A. A-Doe-Lin is how it is pronounced in the audiobooks and how Brandon says it in the audio of these WoBs. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/21/#e4394

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/127/#e5127

Mistborn spoilers:

Spoiler

Say-Zed for Sazed

17 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

@Mistbornwithakitty

Two things on the pronunciation of Brandon Sanderson character names. 

1) Brandon absolutely does not care how other people pronounce them. He never corrects fans or anything. However you pronounce it is both correct and cool :).

2) For how Brandon pronounces them. If the first vowel of a character name is A then it's usually a hard A. A-Doe-Lin is how it is pronounced in the audiobooks and how Brandon says it in the audio of these WoBs. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/21/#e4394

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/127/#e5127

Mistborn spoilers:

Hide contents

Say-Zed for Sazed

Oh!  Yeah, I was pretty sure it was a matter of "potato/potato", but I just didn't know the actual pronunciation that's normally used.  Thank you for that!  So kinda a blend from what I was saying before, I guess. lol.

23 hours ago, PleatherDuster said:

Don't relearn.  In the end, all that matters is that you like that pronunciation!  Trust me, as someone who's tried.  You just end up frustrating yourself by tripping over the name a million times a day. :wacko:  I think your way of pronouncing is super lovely anyway!

10 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

So, how would y'all feel if I just blitz the whole thing starting about five-six weeks before the release?  That'll give me two weeks (ish) for each book.  Or should I just comment on OB when I get there?

Oooh wow!  That sounds like a feat.  If you have a lot of extra time, I'd say go for it!  If not, don't.  You'll burn yourself out dude.  Might loose you to the Shattered Plains!:o 

1 minute ago, Mistbornwithakitty said:

Oh!  Yeah, I was pretty sure it was a matter of "potato/potato", but I just didn't know the actual pronunciation that's normally used.  Thank you for that!  So kinda a blend from what I was saying before, I guess. lol.

Don't relearn.  In the end, all that matters is that you like that pronunciation!  Trust me, as someone who's tried.  You just end up frustrating yourself by tripping over the name a million times a day. :wacko:  I think your way of pronouncing is super lovely anyway!

Oooh wow!  That sounds like a feat.  If you have a lot of extra time, I'd say go for it!  If not, don't.  You'll burn yourself out dude.  Might loose you to the Shattered Plains!:o 

I read really fast, so it probably won't be a problem, I just wasn't sure if people would want to see stuff from WOK whilst they're wrapping up Oathbringer.

29 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

I read really fast, so it probably won't be a problem, I just wasn't sure if people would want to see stuff from WOK whilst they're wrapping up Oathbringer.

I don't think it'll be a problem!  We're all going at roughly our own pace anyway.  I'm going to be late with this week's chapters because I haven't had a lot of time, but I'll make up for it next week.  I can't see any reason why it'd be a problem as long as you're good with it, dude!

Hullo, I'm late with my reading, but I already stated that last post.  My book got caught out in the rain, so after mourning and doing appropriate funeral rights, I'm back on track! 

Here are my thoughts for the week:

--Kabsal, Kabsal. Kabsal, if I needed anymore proof that I have bad taste in men, I loved his character first time round.  Yet, he turned out to be an assassin.  Basically the story of my life. lol.

--Can I just say Jasnah is such a perplexing character?  I'm actually quite enjoying what a trope-breaker she is.  She's strong, yet some could say that she might be *too* strong, in the way that it almost comes across as hard-hearted.  Her vaporizing those thieves is definitely a grey line.  If I had a favorite character of the week, this week would belong completely to Jasnah.

--Shallan about to be caught for stealing that soulcaster.  Yikes.

--Kaladin's always finding a new bottom in this book.  Just when he thinks he's hit, he finds a new one.  Makes me realize how much of a sucker I am for an underdog!  Also, his flashback chapters always have a hint of sadness, because I know where he ends up. 

So yeah, I got a question.  If you had to pick a character of the week, who would you choose?  Curious!  

Otherwise, not much to say this week.  I didn't take proper notes, due to the aforementioned busy/weird schedule.  Besides a waterlogged book, some friends are leaving town.  Will be back to normal this week!    

I'm mad because my brother borrowed Way of Kings. He hasn't started it, so I asked if he could return it and I would give it back to him when I finished, but he didn't bring it, so I won't be able to start for at least another week. :angry:

What a tough string of chapters for Our Heroes. 

Teft, Rock and Gaz all warn Kaladin Side Carry is a bad idea. (Although Gaz then encourages it because he wants them to die)

Cymantics - I think the Dawnsingers were Singers who used the Rhythms to terraform the cities Kabsal is showing Shallan. We see the Listeners can sing in rhythm across a battlefield, it is in part magical. They've long forgotten a more powerful use for their singing. 

Kabsal is so weird. A member of a ruthless power-hungry organization like the Ghostbloods yet he's offended at Jasnah's heresy. He also thinks he and Shallan can be a thing after he murders her teacher.

A Light By Which To See - My first impressions of the Stormfather were very positive because of this chapter. He doesn't say anything, but smiles at Kaladin. It turns out it was one of those situations when you think someone is waving at you across the street, but they are waving at the person next to you. He was smiling at Syl. 

"Syl standing in front of him, her face to the wind, tiny hands forward. As if she were trying to hold back the storm and split the winds" WoK- Ch. 35

Kaladin will actually do this early on in Oathbringer to defend civilians from a highstorm. 

The Lesson - Jasnah is real good at soulcasting. I'm fine with what she did. 

Roshone is unforgivable. Got Moash's grandparents killed out of spite. Got Tien killed out of spite. 

Ch. 46 Child of Tanavast - One of my favorite chapters Brandon has written. The prose here is great, so much worldbuilding described beautifully. The despair Kaladin feels seeing so much war. The foreshadowing.  Stormfather is more forthcoming with  information for Kaladin than he is with the guy he's bonding. 

"CHILD OF TANAVAST. CHILD OF HONOR. CHILD OF ONE LONG SINCE DEPARTED." 

Brandon says there significance to Stormfather calling Kaladin and only Kaladin child of Tanavast.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/390/#e12688

I don't think it's biological. If Tanavast had kids it would have been thousands of years ago. Half of Alethkar could be his distant relations. Does he remind Stormfather of Tanavast? 

Backbreaker Powder - Note to self: never upset Jasnah.

I'm getting started earlier than I thought, but since I'll be interspersing this with library books, this gives me a month or so per book.

Prelude

• Reading this now that I know about Surgebinders and what the Dustbringers do is much more satisfying.

Prologue

• Elhokar speaks with Nale, and the person who people think is Kalak.  I missed that the first time.
  • What is up with that sphere Gavilar gives Szeth?  I've completely forgotten.  It has something to do with Voidlight, right?

Part One

Chapter One

• Squadleader Kaladin!  One of my favorite chapters at first.
  • It's a brilliant idea to have Cenn narrate this part.  He's the perfect character to narrate the chaos of war.

Chapter Two

• Annnd tone change.
  • 'Honor died eight months ago' Kaladin is being a touch dramatic, but he deserves that.  He gets to be dramatic.
  • SYLLLLLLL
  • Gosh, I love Syl.

Chapter Three

• Final 'fundamental chapter', which is what I call the prelude, prologue, and first three chapters, with all the viewpoint shifts.
  • Yalb!
  • I forgot how much I enjoyed Shallan's earliest chapters.  I still prefer Kaladin's, but these early ones are fun.

So there's my thoughts so far!  I'm not sure how often I'll drop in, but occasionally I will.  Have fun reading, everyone!

I finished Part One, and filled three notebook pages, so here's my comments and notes.

Chapter Four

• Kaladin rips up the map, and the sass is strong.
  • Did I mention how much I love Syl?
  • Who is Katarotam?  For some reason, I'm very curious.

Chapter Five

• Poor lefthanded women.  Can't be easy.
  • If the Soulcaster is fake, why does it glow?  Is Jasnah inhaling the Light?

Chapter Six

• There's the one man who talks to Kaladin on his first bridge run.  I like him, though we know nothing about him.
  • Oh, the first run was a nightmare.  I know it'll get better, but it's so bad right now.  My heart is aching.

Chapter Seven

• The Palanaeum!  I'd love to go there.  It sounds so peaceful and cozy.
  • Shallan's drawings are my favorite parts of this chapter, I think.
  • Ah, Kabsal.  So charming with your table jig.

Chapter Eight

• Yalb is my favorite character in Shallan's chapters so far.
  • Bookstore!  I really like this part.
  • I feel bad for the men.  Everyone should be allowed to read.
  • What is the fifth Vorin kingdom?

Chapter Nine

• Oh, Kaladin.
  • I almost never cry.  But it wouldn't take much for me to do so right now.  He's fallen so far, and when Syl leaves... and the boy who reminds him of Tien dies...  Please, someone hug him.  This is so sad.

Chapter Ten

Flashback

• Kal has a stronger stomach than I do.  I can't imagine how awful some of the injuries he's seen were.
  • 'You can't protect by killing'.  Words that Kal will remember for years to come.
  • He's so good at remembering stuff!  I wish I could remember math half as well as Kal remembers medicines.

Chapter Eleven

• Kaladin contemplates life before his suicide attempt.  Unlike the previous chapter, which was really sad and painful, this one is...empty.  Kaladin isn't feeling anything.
  • SYL
  • She brings him blackbane... oh my heart.  She brings him poison, to give him hope.  It's so storming sweet!
  • Kaladin reborn is the only way I can describe this interaction with Gaz.
  • He asks their names...  This is the beginning of Bridge Four taking back their humanity, and I am 100% here for it.

So, I finished Part One.  Hopefully I can get a good bit of the way into Part two by tomorrow afternoon, because once I go to the library, those have to take priority, as there's a deadline on those.

So I read ahead and finished all the books a few times, but something I noticed on a reread of WoR: In the Taln interlude, one guy mentions that Hoid hit himself in the head with a rock several times. Hoid can't hurt himself. How could he hit himself in the head with a rock (several times, no less)? Workarounds: He didn't actually hit himself in the head with a rock, merely pretended to. He doesn't consider hitting himself in the head with a rock to be hurting himself. He genuinely hurt himself by hitting himself in the head with a rock (since his inability to hurt people isn't a complete incapability, it just causes him pain to do so or even think of doing so).

4 hours ago, Gears said:

So I read ahead and finished all the books a few times, but something I noticed on a reread of WoR: In the Taln interlude, one guy mentions that Hoid hit himself in the head with a rock several times. Hoid can't hurt himself. How could he hit himself in the head with a rock (several times, no less)? Workarounds: He didn't actually hit himself in the head with a rock, merely pretended to. He doesn't consider hitting himself in the head with a rock to be hurting himself. He genuinely hurt himself by hitting himself in the head with a rock (since his inability to hurt people isn't a complete incapability, it just causes him pain to do so or even think of doing so).

I think he doesn't consider hitting himself with the rock to be hurting himself.  I mean, I knock my head against the wall all the time.  I've never considered it harmful.  Maybe it's that, or, because he's acting ridiculous on purpose, it's just a comedy thing.  We know that at the end of WOR he poses before Jasnah comes through from Shadesmar, so he's got a touch of the dramatic.

Also, while I'm here, I've got like, five pages full of notes, so I'm gonna write those out.

Interlude One

• The Purelake sounds really nice.
  • Does Ishikk know where Hoid is?  His last line, 'you've got the fool part right', makes me think so.

Interlude Two

• 'Only Balat had escaped unscathed' not true at all.
  • This interlude is rather unsettling overall.  Balat has a really messed up coping mechanism.  One more thing to add to the list of 'Why Roshar needs therapists'.

Interlude Three

• Man, Szeth is in a really bad place here.

Part Two

Chapter Twelve

• And our first meeting with the upper echelon of the war camps.
  • Sadeas spoke, and I had an immediate reaction of distaste.
  • Ah, Adolin and his constant courtship failures.  It's strangely endearing.  He's trying - but he's not... not doing very well.
  • Elhokar has yellow eyes currently.
  • The Alethi system of government...  I'm not sure this is working in their favor.
  • I agree with Adolin's opinions on hunts.
  • Adolin, bro, you don't want the old Dalinar back.
  • WIT!
  • If I knew him, I'd probably want to smack him, but he is really funny on page.

Chapter Thirteen

• First thing I did here was get 'The Blackthorn' from the Kaladin album playing, I need the hype.
  • Elhokar, please listen.
  • All I can say is I will be really sad if I never get to see Dalinar catching that claw in a movie or TV show.

Chapter Fourteen

• Kaladin punches Moash first thing.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel vindicated.
  • Seeing the bridgemen is so weird, knowing how far they'll go.  *Moana 'How far I'll Go' plays in background*
  • I wonder how confused that carpenter was, the one who told Kaladin they would need the plank back.
  • Syl knows what sarcasm is.  Kaladin thinks it's ominous, and I think it's adorable.

Chapter Fifteen

• Hunting cleanup.  I like it when they show the damage done after something like the disaster of the hunt.
  • Sadeas explains his strategy, and I am mad.  Rrgh.
  • Ah, Wit.
  • Angerspren - blood boiling.  Puns are awesome.
  • Dalinar acknowledges the bridgemen.  I like that part.

Chapter Sixteen

Flashback

• Kaladin's already experiencing symptoms of depression.  I don't have depression, but kudos to Sanderson for not making it a product of Kaladin's situation later in life.
  • Tien makes Kaladin happy, and now I'm happy too.
  • Kal is completely oblivious to Laral.
  • Argh, the caste system.  *knocks head against wall* why? do? humans? insist? on? separating? themselves?

Chapter Seventeen

• 'You're in my spot' Kaladin making the choices that could lead to death, but doing it anyway.
  • Saving the wounded, yes!
  • I have a habit of forming attachments to side characters.  In this case Dabbid.  I want to see his character more, even though we probably never will.
  • There's such a fast paced, adrenalin pumping feel to the medical scenes as Kaladin does what he can, as fast as he can.  In a way, it reminds me of Taravangian's interludes in WOR and OB.

Chapter Eighteen

• Every time I read a description of the Kholin uniform, I have a really hard time understanding the military uniforms in Alethkar.  In Chapter One, Amaram's soldiers are wearing leather takamas, which seem to be long out of use elsewhere.  Does anyone know what's going on there?  PLease let me know if you do.
  • Renarin... you are not useless.  Not at all.
  • I agree with Dalinar about the informalness.
  • Elhokar's eyes are blue now.

This was longer than I thought it would be.  Anyway, I'm up to Chapter Nineteen.  A clearchip I work all the way through my notebook, anyone?

Edited by Spren of Kindness

Warning!!  Big Long Post ahead!

I'm late again.  We're going for on time next week. I promise!  lol. :rolleyes:

Eventful chapters this week!  Read most of it on my breaks at work.  Nothing like chilling with a huge Stormlight Archive novel on your lap as you eat in 90 degree weather.

--Navani and Dalinar start courting!  Just...ugh *chef's kiss*.  It's harder to write about middle-age romance and this was done so perfectly.  Not completely like a young adult/first love story, but with maturity and notes of playfulness.  Also that it's a "forbidden" thing kinda tickles me.  That particular trope is usually exclusively for young adults/teens.  A refreshing take, as always!

--Kaladin's beginning to notice that maybe it's not all just luck.  Maybe he's survived for a reason??  They're all about to save Dalinar.  Can't wait for next week!!  Seeing him as a bridgeman and knowing where he goes is a TRIP.  Especially reading the new RoW chapters.  Major character adjustment/growth. 

--Shallan is now an outcast dun dun dunnnnnn.  Re-reading, I actually think it was just punishment.      

---Sades is trash.  Need I say more?    

On 8/7/2020 at 10:39 PM, Spren of Kindness said:

Chapter Two

• Annnd tone change.
  • 'Honor died eight months ago' Kaladin is being a touch dramatic, but he deserves that.  He gets to be dramatic.
  • SYLLLLLLL
  • Gosh, I love Syl.

THIS!  Syl is a constant mood at first.  Kaladin does deserve to be as emo as he likes.

On 8/10/2020 at 1:13 AM, Gears said:

Doesn't Hoid have a lot of magic powers we probably don't know about?  I have a feeling that could heal him from hitting himself on the head.  He also mentions that "I'm going away, probably will be back eventually.  I may die, will probably come back anyway." Something like that?  He's a mystery man.  Nobody knows!  But a rock probably isn't going to do much (lol watch stones be his ONE weakness).

23 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Chapter Twelve

• And our first meeting with the upper echelon of the war camps.
  • Sadeas spoke, and I had an immediate reaction of distaste.
  • Ah, Adolin and his constant courtship failures.  It's strangely endearing.  He's trying - but he's not... not doing very well.
  • Elhokar has yellow eyes currently.
  • The Alethi system of government...  I'm not sure this is working in their favor.
  • I agree with Adolin's opinions on hunts.
  • Adolin, bro, you don't want the old Dalinar back.
  • WIT!
  • If I knew him, I'd probably want to smack him, but he is really funny on page.

Does Elhokar's eyes ever change?  And yes, Adolin/Wit are always best boiz.  Keep working through your notebook!  I love hearing your thoughts.:lol:

5 minutes ago, Mistbornwithakitty said:

THIS!  Syl is a constant mood at first.  Kaladin does deserve to be as emo as he likes.

Does Elhokar's eyes ever change?  And yes, Adolin/Wit are always best boiz.  Keep working through your notebook!  I love hearing your thoughts.:lol:

That's the word, emo.  I don't know if I would use that to describe Kaladin, though.

Yeah, Elhokar's eyes didn't stay one color.  One of the casualties of 1000+ pages.

Sas Nahn - Amaram can't understand why Kaladin wouldn't want the shards. Inconceivable to him that someone would reject greater power. 

Interludes -  Introduction to Shallash destroying art and a primer on how the Old Magic works.

"Who are you?" ... "Death"  I think Dalinar and Kaladin have a similar exchange regarding what Szeth is in WoR. 

Ch. 52 A lot of shardblades and plate abandoned here and this isn't nearly all of them. Only a small fraction are still being used in modern times. Who is keeping those? 

Ch. 54 "Adonalsium" ... "pull him apart emotion by emotion" 

Ch. 55 Rock, revealing he was trained as a soldier as a 4th son, insists he's 3rd son and a cook. Apart from Rock lying here, it's a weird caste system they have. Birth order assigning jobs so specifically. But, Horneaters are descended, in part, from Singers who can switch forms to suite a task.  Singers of old may have been like "you take workform, you take warform,  you take scholar form" etc. to their offspring. If one died, one of the others would take a different form to step in to perform whatever task was needed.

Ch. 65 What a terrible thing to do!  "Roshar had been united, once. Had that included the Parsheni?" it's going  to need to in order to thwart Odium!

Ch. 66 Dalinar's internal farewell to Renarin when he thinks he won't see him again is touching.

Warning: this is going to be very long.

Chapter Nineteen

• Taffa says Three Gods - Honor, Cultivation, and Odium, I bet.

Chapter Twenty

Flashback

• I forgot how sad this one was (the girl he couldn't save).  Poor Kal.

Chapter Twenty One

• 'Kaladin didn't want to open his eyes.  If he opened his eyes, he'd be awake.' Mood, Kaladin.
  • How do Rosharan seasons work.  Someone, please tell me.
  • I love Kaladin and Syl's conversations.
  • 'Kaladin looked up at him', Rock must be really, really tall.

Chapter Twenty Two

• Wit is having so much fun insulting everyone.
  • Navani's here!
  • Navani is very right, Elhokar's not a very good king.

Chapter Twenty Three

• Syl is beautiful and articulate.
  • Teft, Rock, and Kaladin walking through the war camp at night makes me think of spy movies.  *Mission Impossible theme plays as they peek out from behind a wagon*
  • 'You worry like a worrier.' Great description, Syl.  I should use that...
  • Knowing Teft's relatives... yeah.  Not a good idea.

Chapter Twenty Four

• The Sunmaker's war philosophy is, quite frankly, garbage.
  • What happens if you break an infused gem?
  • Don't trust Sadeas, Dalinar.

Chapter Twenty Five

Flashback

• Is Nanha the Alethi darkeye version of Missus or Goodwife?
  • 'Tien's not my friend, Mother.  He's my brother.'  Kaladin knows the sibling code.
  • I'm a little surprised Kal was so oblivious about Laral.
  • Ah, the wonderful Brightlord Roshone.

Chapter Twenty Six

• Purple ink - nice.  #aesthetic
  • What if Sadeas needs his plate while a new ornament is being welded on?  What does he do then?
  • Dalinar's existential crisis continues.

Chapter Twenty Seven

• Gaz thinks he's made life worse for the bridgemen, but in a few chapters...
  • The chasms almost sound like a dreamscape, they're so alien.
  • Dunny!  Another one of those side characters I really like.
  • Oh, this is the chasm kata!
  • This might be my favorite scene of Part Two.
  • Listen to 'Chasm Kata' from the Kaladin album while reading this scene.  You will not regret it.  Gave me chills.
  • Singing and stew!  It's so - storming - wholesome!  *screeches*

Chapter Twenty Eight

• I love how Dalinar's solution to being in a confusing situation is to hit rocks with an overpowered sledgehammer and magic power armor.
  • 'His actions could very well lead to the deaths of Adolin, Renarin, and Elhokar.  He would risk his own life for his ideals, but could he risk the lives of his sons?'  Methinks Dalinar thinks of all three as his sons.  I am 200% here for 'accidental/unconscious adoption'.
  • I can imagine the look on Dalinar's face when he realizes he forgot his appointment with Navani, and it's hilarious.
  • And he's abdicating.  This is a bad idea.  A really bad idea.

Interlude Four

• 'It was dirty stuff.'  Dirt usually is...
  • I like the Shin method of trading.  It says a lot about their society.

Interlude Five

• I still don't understand how it's possible to cast a shadow towards the sun.  That's not how light works!
  • What even is Cusicesh?  I'm very interested.
  • Axies is cheerful to the point that I am mildly bewildered, but impressed, by his optimisim.

Interlude Six

• Oof, Szeth.  Finally being used to assassinate major political players instead of doing menial tasks.  Poor guy.

Part Three

Chapter Twenty Nine

• And we're back to Shallan!
  • I like Jasnah.  I don't agree with some of her choices, and she'd make me feel like an idiot if I ever met her, but she's a very interesting person.
  • *claps aggressively*  Taravangian says Jasnah makes her points about theology clear, but he doesn't accept them - Jasnah doesn't try to make people stop believing.  This is how conversations about any faith or lack of should go.  No name calling, but a statement of belief and mutual respect.
  • 'she tended to avoid thinking about things that made her uncomfortable.'  No kidding...

Chapter Thirty

• Gaz's viewpoint is interesting.  Adds a bit of humanity.
  • 'He's a lighteyes.'  A few chapters back, I noticed that Kaladin said 'he'd been burned too often to trust the flame.'  He uses his mistrust and hatred of lighteyes as a defense mechanism, making sure he always expects betrayal so it's not a surprise when it comes.  Not a healthy way to live.  *casts glance at my 'Reasons Roshar needs therapists' list*
  • Gaz, why did you have to point out how tall Kaladin is?  Now I feel shorter than usual!
  • Oh no.  The side carry.  Nooooooo.  I can feel the secondhand embarrassment coming.

Chapter Thirty One

Flashback

• Tien's rocks.  I love that he's got this one thing that he loves and uses to help others see beauty.

Chapter Thirty Two

• Lopen's here!
  • Nooooooooooooooooo

Chapter Thirty Three

• I really wish the Palanaeum were real.
  • There's an ardent who passes Shallan, and Shallan thinks she almost looks like a Herald, thanks to the lighting.  Isn't there a suspicion that there's a Herald in Kharbranth? 
  • I agree with Shallan on personalities and all that.
  • Cymatics!  I'd love to see that in action.

Chapter Thirty Four

• 'Please don't be hurt anymore.' Syl, we share interests.  I also don't want Kaladin to be hurt.
  • And the chapter ends there.  Thank goodness it doesn't cut to Shallan.

Chapter Thirty Five

• That is some masterful writing.  I felt like I was experiencing the storm right alongside Kaladin.
  • And here we see Teft realize that there's more going on than he thought.

Chapter Thirty Six

• Philosophy time.
  • Does Jasnah make good points?  Yes.  However, I don't condone killing.

Chapter Thirty Seven

Flashback

• If I recall correctly, this is where Lirin and Kal's relationship changes, as Kal now knows Lirin stole the spheres.

Chapter Thirty Eight

• Teft knows now.  Things are speeding up just a bit.

Chapter Thirty Nine

• If Luesh was with the ghostbloods, I wonder if he actually would have shown them how to use how to use the Soulcaster.  Or would he just return it to the Ghostbloods?

Chapter Forty

• Kaladin makes the choice not to run the bridge.  My respect has gone up a few more notches - knowing when you can't do something and listening is a good thing.
  • I kind of want to hug Kaladin now.  I think he needs it.

Chapter Forty One

Flashback

• There's a bit of foreshadowing there for WOR.  'some people... just needed to be removed.'

Chapter Forty Two

• And a Cryptic speaks!

Chapter Forty Three

• So now they're assigned to chasm duty permanently... little do they know.
  • Someone storming hug Kaladin, please.
  • Honestly, the idea of Bridge Four going into the hills would be really interesting.  How would that change the story?

Chapter Forty Four

Flashback

• There are a lot more flashbacks in this part of the book.
  • Tien is such a sweetheart.  I love him.  He's my son now.
  • Amaram - 
  • That was an alarmingly violent emotion on my part.
  • Nooooooo.  I hate this.
  • 'I volunteer,' as tribute.

Chapter Forty Five

• The Cryptics are following.  *spooky music*
  • Our first look at Shadesmar, too.  
  • Shallan, you just got yourself in a lot of trouble.

Chapter Forty Six

• Adolin: *shows up*

Kaladin: Congratulations!  I hate you.

Chapter Forty Seven

Flashback

• Syl's already hanging around, I see.
  • I forgot Amaram broke his leg.  That's part of the reason it'll take him so long to get to the Shattered Plains, I bet.
  • Good on you Kaladin.  (Even though that won't go very well.)

Chapter Forty Eight

• I wish there was more about the Book of Endless Pages.
  • Oh, it gets better.  

Chapter Forty Nine

• The first training chapter!
  • Syl helping them find salvage.  I'd love to see Syl and Lopen interact.

Chapter Fifty

• This is the hardest Shallan chapter for me because of the secondhand embarrassment.

Chapter Fifty One

Flashback

• I 
  • Hate
  • Amaram
  • The first time I read this book, I got suckered.  I don't know how, but I thought Amaram might be good.  Never again.
  • Last summer, I accidentally burned my thumb on a metal marshmallow skewer.  It hurt like nobody's business.  The idea of purposefully branding someone is a disgusting, horrible, repulsive thing.  It is something no one, not even a fictional character, should ever have to go through.
  • Someone storming hug Kaladin.
  • If this comes off as aggressive, good.

Interlude Seven

• Baxil's mistress is Shalash.  I used to think all the Heralds had almost white eyes because of her.

Interlude Eight

• Spren science!  I'm still not sure what my opinion is, but it's interesting.

Interlude Nine

• Oh, Szeth.  This is not good for his mental health.

Part Four

Chapter Fifty Two

• It's the Recreance!
  • Was that all the Radiants, or only a few of the orders?  Definitely Windrunners and Skybreakers, and I think Stonewards.
  • They be makin' a team, and bringing Navani on board!

Chapter Fifty Three

• Dunny, no!
  • They're going to help the other crews!  Yes, I am here for this!
  • Teft, get to the point.  Kaladin isn't gonna notice on his own.

Like I said, this is very long.  Anyway, there's my thoughts up to Chapter Fifty Three, and my next post will probably bring me all the way up to WOR!

These take so long to format.  My own fault, choosing to do bulletpoints, but still.

Edited by Spren of Kindness

Storm it. I wasn't posting because I'm so behind now it's unbelievable but, I don't really care. I just hope to catch up before November.

Fun fact. Part of the reason I didn't recover when I was only three chapters behind is because I was about to binge a few chapters and catch up when Kaladin started talking about being productive. Then I glanced at my floor which very clearly needed some attention. And there was a pile of dishes on my desk. And I really needed a shower. So I spent the rest of the evening being productive and next day was Monday, so.

Anyway, let's see. I like how Moash seems to worship Kaladin whenever he's being awesome. Then if he stops being awesome for two seconds he's a big jerk. Then the moment he starts being awesome again it's back to worship. Then again, all the bridgemen are more or less like that, but Moash really likes to voice it. Nothing really weird there, but I'm trying to find stuff in his behavior that points to his later life choices. He's basically dark Kaladin after all.

I really like Navani. And she's smart. Treating Adolin like a son I see. Good plan, good plan.

Darn, Brandon really played me here. I was actually thinking the whole time that the visions spoke to Dalinar directly. Like, let's be real, who would have predicted that ancient Roshar's gods had access to VR movies.

Gosh darn it, Dunny! I thought you survived.

I think I was kind of fascinated and terrified by cryptics on my first read. Those scenes with Shallan read like horror for a bit and I love it. Horror and fantasy should mix way more often.

On that note, it's funny to think that Shallan's arc from here on was triggered by a bad jam jar. Were it not for that she would just be soulcasting stuff in her father's states, which would probably still end with her joining the Ghostbloods. Huh.

Okay, confession time, guys: I totally binged all three audio books during the past two weeks. 

Sorry, not sorry. That being said, I'm still going to hang around for the discussion. 

So, I have decided that I really like how Adolin's personality develops throughout WoK. I completely understand his concern for Dalinar because, I'll be honest, I'd start freaking out if my father started hallucinating and saying he was talking to God in his dreams. I also really like his relationship with Renarin and that he's not the stereotypical first son, obsessed with inheriting as much power as he can. 

I still don't love Shallan (I do love her in WoR, but in Wok she gets on my nerves). I sympathize with her and her desire to save her family. I like her snarkiness and her humor. But she's still not someone I'd want to hang out with on a day to day basis. Although, that may be because Kabsal isn't too far behind and he's just smarmy. 

I still love Kaladin. My heart just breaks for him in every single chapter. And I hate knowing what happens with Moash because I know that Kaladin cares about him just like he cares about the rest of Bridge 4.

And, I want to be Navani when I grow up. She's awesome. Jasnah is, too, but she lacks the empathy that Navani has.  

So bad news, oof.  I ordered my copy of WOR only to find that it won't be delivered till the 2nd of September because they're suddenly out of stock at my local bookstore chain?  In the desperate attempt not to loose money, I'm going to be beeehiinnnndddd.  

But not to worry!  I'm still going to be commenting on y'alls posts!  

On top of that, I misplaced my WOK book for most of the week, so I'm on the last chapters now.  Update to come in a day or two!

___

On 8/12/2020 at 2:59 PM, Child of Hodor said:

Ch. 55 Rock, revealing he was trained as a soldier as a 4th son, insists he's 3rd son and a cook. Apart from Rock lying here, it's a weird caste system they have. Birth order assigning jobs so specifically. But, Horneaters are descended, in part, from Singers who can switch forms to suite a task.  Singers of old may have been like "you take workform, you take warform,  you take scholar form" etc. to their offspring. If one died, one of the others would take a different form to step in to perform whatever task was needed.

That's so interesting!  I didn't know Horneaters were descended from Singers...maybe that's why Rock can see Syl?

On 8/12/2020 at 6:48 PM, Spren of Kindness said:

Chapter Forty Six

• Adolin: *shows up*

Kaladin: Congratulations!  I hate you.

Congratulations!  I love your commentary!:lol:  There's too much to comment on everything, but this quote made me laugh out loud.  And you can change from bullet points and just go to whatever is easiest!  Do what is most fun.

On 8/13/2020 at 5:54 AM, Eluvianii said:

I think I was kind of fascinated and terrified by cryptics on my first read. Those scenes with Shallan read like horror for a bit and I love it. Horror and fantasy should mix way more often.

YES!!  I agree with you.  The first time I read about the cryptics it took me completely by surprise.  I remember actually being physically shook.  It comes out of nowhere, but in the best way.

On 8/13/2020 at 9:25 PM, book.spren said:

I still love Kaladin. My heart just breaks for him in every single chapter. And I hate knowing what happens with Moash because I know that Kaladin cares about him just like he cares about the rest of Bridge 4.

And, I want to be Navani when I grow up. She's awesome. Jasnah is, too, but she lacks the empathy that Navani has.  

Kaladin is best boi, always.  Moash is worst boi, always.

We should all want to be Navani when we grow up!  To me, she holds the essence of a strong woman.  Strong, while still having normal human emotions.

@Mistbornwithakitty, I'm going to keep going with my bulletpoints, but hopefully not have to type out that many of them.  After my next massive one anyway.  I loaned WOK to a friend who's reading it for the first time, so I figure if it comes down to it, I'll just skip ahead to Oathbringer, which is the one that I don't really remember much of because I read it in seven hours.  But I don't have it, so...  I'll be doing a lot of reading when I get it back.  And yeah, I love inserting little quotes and kind of dry, sarcastic comments into my notes.

• 3 weeks later...

So, not much I can say right now. I have a new job and the only times I'm reading is when school permits it and in my two 20-minute breaks at work. Meaning things advance slowly as Braize. I need to figure something out to speed things up. 

So, for now, I haven't finished WoK, but I do have one or two tidbits to say. 

First things first, Elhokar. Gosh, the memories. I remember on my first read I got all excited when he described the shadows following him. I was like "He's the same as Shallan!" and then forgot all about it during WoR because they stopped mentioning it. Kelek's breath, it's so tragic.

And Sadeas, why did he have to be like that? I liked the guy, he seemed genuinely concerned about Dalinar, maybe he was. I guess it wasn't enough. 

You know, I know Kaladin has a lot to deal with, but I think that shouldn't stop him from having fun from time to time. That childish side of him that made him storming try to walk on a wall just because should emerge more often. 

Can I say just how cute the relationship between Dalinar and Navani is? It's such a breath of fresh air from your typical youthful romance. And don't get me wrong, I'll never get tired of typical youthful romance, romance in general is something I enjoy greatly stories, but Dalinar and Navani really broadened my horizons. 

Ah yes, Wandersail. Great story. What in the name of the Iridiscent Tones happened to that flute? 

First difference in opinions between Kal and Moash. When Dalinar saves the bridgemen and salutes them, Kaladin stops to consider that Dalinar may have done something truly honorable, while Moash jumps to the conclusion that I don't care because lighteyes = bad. Not that Kaladin really believes something honorable just happened but it's a first step. 

Closing note, Lopen is great. 

Edited by Eluvianii