Stormlight Marathon

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

You know Kaladin might call it 'the wretch' but I've felt something similar and I have another name for it, apathy

I see your point, and this may seem really nitpick-y, but I think I would argue that Kaladin had less apathy--the inability to feel--and more anhedonia--the inability to feel pleasure. I say this because even when he was in the caravan with Tvlakv and all the way up until the night at the Honor chasm, he felt things; he felt guilt, anger, worthlessness, despair, etc. I would say that he definitely tried to be apathetic but he just couldn't, which is part of why he made the decisions he did to save the bridgemen. 

4 hours ago, Mistbornwithakitty said:
9 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

I can agree about the new perspective. It's like the first time you barely have any idea what the book is about, constantly making up new theories only for them to be crushed five pages later. Now everything is so clear.

I also love WoR but there's a scene there I'm dreading. 

Out of curiosity....which scene?

Oooh, I'm curious, too! Which one?

3 minutes ago, book.spren said:

I see your point, and this may seem really nitpick-y, but I think I would argue that Kaladin had less apathy--the inability to feel--and more anhedonia--the inability to feel pleasure. I say this because even when he was in the caravan with Tvlakv and all the way up until the night at the Honor chasm, he felt things; he felt guilt, anger, worthlessness, despair, etc. I would say that he definitely tried to be apathetic but he just couldn't, which is part of why he made the decisions he did to save the bridgemen. 

It's not so much the inability to feel, it's the inability to care, at least for me.

The duel scene. Or actually, that scene is amazing but the end of that scene is kinda, you know.

Sad scenes are one thing, but at least we know the characters reach some happiness (well, with Shallan that is currently debatable). The cringe on the other hand, nothing's gonna stop it.

@Mistbornwithakitty @book.spren

23 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

The duel scene. Or actually, that scene is amazing but the end of that scene is kinda, you know.

Sad scenes are one thing, but at least we know the characters reach some happiness (well, with Shallan that is currently debatable). The cringe on the other hand, nothing's gonna stop it.

Oooooooohhhh.....yeah I remember physically groaning during my first reading of that scene.  So much secondhand embarrassment.  Yikes.  

I almost forgot!  There's a WoK soundtrack!  I do believe you can find it on Youtube, if any of you are interested.  Old news, I know, but I just thought I'd put it out there in case anyone forgot about it. :lol:

I very much want to join in on this Stormlight marathon. I did re-reads of WoK and WoR before Oathbreaker came out, which doesn't seem all that long ago....but I remember NOTHING!  But I can't find my WoK paperback (...may have fell apart...), so I'm gonna try to snag an ebook. I've got some catching up to do! What chapter are you on? 

5 hours ago, PleatherDuster said:

I very much want to join in on this Stormlight marathon. I did re-reads of WoK and WoR before Oathbreaker came out, which doesn't seem all that long ago....but I remember NOTHING!  But I can't find my WoK paperback (...may have fell apart...), so I'm gonna try to snag an ebook. I've got some catching up to do! What chapter are you on? 

Welcome!!  We're happy to have you!  We've only done one week and are currently on Week 2 (chapters 16 through 31 this week, I believe).  Whenever you're finished with the current week, you can put your thoughts!  Week 3 starts on Monday etc (you can find our schedule on the 1st page of this discussion).:D  If you're a bit slow to catch up, read at your own pace!  Same goes if you want to read ahead.  There's no pressure here. ^_^ 

On 7/22/2020 at 11:50 AM, Eluvianii said:

Haha. Yeah, I think I skipped over the end of that scene the last time I reread. This may only make sense if you've seen "I Think You Should Leave" on Netflix

download.jpg.9f86d2ab0393e349d9b74d5541bbc23c.jpg

Scene can be found here: about 1 minute mark

On 7/23/2020 at 7:23 AM, Bearer of all agonies said:

Wow. You finished OB in three hours.  :ph34r: it usually takes me about 6-7 hours to read a Stormlight book. 

Holy cow. It usually takes me weeks to finish one. (Though I usually have to balance it with school). But altogether I’m just a slow reader. 

6 minutes ago, Mistbornwithakitty said:

Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but what is that?:huh:

Brandon released his original draft of the way of kings (it isn’t canonical). It’s way different, characters names are different, the plot is different, things like that.

Im not reading it yet but I probably will sometime when I’m starved for Brandon content. 

Week 2: Complete!  Here are my rambles:

--This is a LOT of reading for me.  I didn’t realize how little I was reading before now…I’m feeling so refreshed!  My vocabulary has replenished!  My imagination given fuel!  In other words, this is great.

--Adolin and his women…I forgot how much of a womanizer he was.  I would hate that about a character normally, but he does it in such a way that…I don’t hate him?  Probably the emotionally clutzy nature he seems to have.

--Wit making fun of everyone at the feast, but Dalinar has me cackling.  I wonder why he didn’t go for Dalinar though.  Respect?  That doesn’t seem right.

--Navani!!  I gotta say, I kind of forgot about her till she showed up.  She’s actually one of my favorite characters of all time, I think.  Strong, inventive, and absolutely fearless!  I also think that the thing between her and Dalinar is adorable.  It’s quite unique to have a “ship” that involves two older people.  I appreciate the difference in their flirting/courtship than say, someone like Shallan/Adolin.

--Dalinar’s visions begin!  Am I the only one who kinda cringes when he has one?  I always think “Wow, that’s kinda embarrassing to have this amazing thing happening inside your head but makes you sound like an utter lunatic when you try to justify rolling around on the barracks floor.  I can’t imagine I’d have the same dignity in Dalinar’s situation.

--That fight between Adolin and Dalinar though....yikes.  Going back to negatives of having super-awesome-dream-visions.

--Kaladin’s getting the gang togettheerrr.  I love seeing the construction of the Bridgemen we all love so dearly!   

I can't wait to hear y'all's thoughts!  

On 7/25/2020 at 6:20 PM, Mistbornwithakitty said:

--Kaladin’s getting the gang togettheerrr.  I love seeing the construction of the Bridgemen we all love so dearly!   

Yes! Although, and it has to be said, I hate Moash. From the very first time I read WoK, I knew there was something off about him and I just never liked him. Teft, on the other hand, is probably my favorite of the bridgemen. 

Wit is hilarious. I fully believe he is the embodiment of everyone's internal voice that wants to say things but knows they shouldn't.

5 hours ago, book.spren said:

Wit is hilarious. I fully believe he is the embodiment of everyone's internal voice that wants to say things but knows they shouldn't.

Well, that's literally in his job description.

So I'm three chapters behind this week but I wanted to post.

First of all, I love the apothecary. Can we see that guy more often? He's great.

I see quite a few names in Bridge 4 I don't recognize. They're gonna die, aren't they?

You know, Dalinar's identity crisis is really strange to see. Like "I don't enjoy killing, what is happening to me?!". Especially when we consider every other country sees the Alethi as bloodthirsty savages, it's curious how unnatural it seems to them.

Ah yes, and the first mentions of Evi. This particularly breaks my heart a bit because he was so sure he had been head over heels for her, and I was too. It feels really sad reading that now.

Oh, and the first Rysn interlude. She is my favorite interlude character, can't wait for Dawnshard.

Oh, I find interesting that Dalinar, the one Alethi with power that could change so much on his own that he becomes a Bondsmith, fully respects Jasnah's heresy. It's like, even when he was a bloodthirsty warlord with unshakeable faith In the Almighty, he had that open mind needed to eventually make that change.

Ohhh and the kata scene. I don't remember enjoying that so much the first time. It was amazing.

There are probably a lot more things I wanted to talk about but I don't remember right now. Maybe I should start taking notes as I read.

2 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

I see quite a few names in Bridge 4 I don't recognize. They're gonna die, aren't they?

Yes, absolutely. :(

My Week 2 reading observations:

Ch. 16: Laral is always more mature than Kaladin. She is here in the flashback and she seems that way when we see her much later. 

That "Kaladin was good at fighting because he was going to be good later in life and all time is one in the spiritual realm" crem didn't help him against Jest, did it? Take that, spiritual mumbo-jumbo! https://wob.coppermind.net/events/324/#e9280

Ch 17: I too enjoy the apothecary and Syl's reaction to him "He's old."  The debut of Rock's casual bigotry "airsick lowlander". It's hard to hold it against him though. 

Brandon highlights people passing the buck with similar phrasing "Gaz won't stand for this thing" from Rock; "Brightlord Lamaril won't stand for it" from Gaz on the very next page. 

Ch. 18 Adolin is an inconsiderate date. "you can't let your passion for just retribution blind you" from Dalinar. Laying on the themes and the shards influencing the story early and often. 

Ch. 19  Love this chapter. I'm instantly invested in the safety of this family. Salas the violet moon is out during this attack. No causal connection, but fitting since it is Odium's core color. "Three Gods, Heb" putting it right out there. 

"A woman Shardbearer" Get used to it, man. One's gonna beat you up later.

Ch. 21 "If he'd open his eyes he'd be awake. And if he were awake that pain ... It would be real. And it would be his."  Don't give it away.

Ch. 22 I like Navani! Great introduction, having her smackdown Wit and plainly judge her son as a weak king establishes her well. Putting her chair adjacent to, but not quite *at* the men's table is hilarious. 

Ch. 23 Bridge 4 chapters work so well! I'm totally into this scheme. I love the image of them working by the moonlight and the spheres. 

Ch. 26 The in-world Way of Kings passage about the candles is great. It works as a metaphor for leadership, but the prose is touching on it's face. I can see why this book endured for thousands of years!

Ch. 27 Can't go wrong with bridge 4 getting to know each other. Moash has always been a jerk.

Ch. 28 "The very first question they asked?" ... "They wanted to see our maps." Of course Eshonai did. Poor Eshonai :(

Shinovar is weird. They worship farmers and treat warriors as near slaves. Cultivation influence, but also maybe the impact of their history?  

The Axies interlude blew me away with the world building. This blue guy who can alter his body at will! Gold skinned people. The many-faced spren that drains people. Who are those faces of?? 

Ch. 29 Errorgance (ugh) - All time great cutting comment from Jasnah "you often seem to say the first passably clever thing to enter your mind".  Love Jasnah. 

Ch. 30 We get Gaz's POV which humanizes him a bit, then it ends with him hoping all of Bridge 4 dies in the next run. 

Edited by Child of Hodor

Well, I'm nearly caught up. I'm at Szeth's second interlude. His interlude chapters have been a struggle for me. He is just such a pitiful character. And of all Sanderson characters, I find him to be one of the hardest for me to believe. In this book anyways. 

I'm a big Adolin fan (how do y'all pronounce his name, anyway? ). I really love any interaction between him and Dalinar. Ado is just so darn earnest and good, and loves his daddy and brother. His POV is just wonderful to read. But, man, he is so stupid (except when it comes to soldiering). Like anytime Dalinar mentions wanting to make the world better for common people, his brain just can't handle the idea. Also, I'm typically not a big fan of fight scenes, but I find any part with him and a sword to be riveting. 

Kaladin's storyline is so amazing in this book. I had forgotten so much that happens, so that some parts are like reading for the first time. I'm loving his relationship with Syl more that I remembered (maybe because I know where it's going). When he's at his lowest, and she is his only companion, there are some really emotionally powerful scenes. I love the scene where he save 3 members of bridge four, even though everyone else is reigned to letting them die. 

I enjoy how we get to see the contrasting Father-Son relationships of Dalinar/Adolin as well as Lirin/Kaladin. 

Random comments:

Men can't read!!! I forgot that. It's SO ridiculous, but makes for some great plot twists (like Szeth writing words with Galivar's blood, Dalinar being shock that his brother could read/write). 

They really want to keep men and women very separate on Roshar. I wonder if we'll get more insight into that, and how women have to cover their safe hand. 

I love Teft and Rock so much!

Oh how I hate Sadeas!

On 7/6/2020 at 5:08 AM, Mistbornwithakitty said:

Hey you guys!

So I noticed that the Rhythm of War is coming out in a few months and I had an idea....

I'm usually super slow at re-reading books (because I know the plot, so it's not as exciting although I still enjoy it), but I wanted to re-read Stormlight books 1-3 before this next one comes out.  I think we'd have about a month and a half to read each book (probably more like a month and a week)?  I thought it would be extremely fun to find others that might want to do that with me!  We could split up the chapters so we could get it done in time, encourage each other, and just generally discuss any interesting Shard-y things we find!  Also, new friends!  I'm a huge nerd and I also love organizing, so as long as you have the books, I think it's possible.

Are you up for it?     

I AM TOTALLY DOING THE SAME THING!!!! I AM ALREADY A 1/3 OF THE WAY IN FOR WoR!!

On 7/29/2020 at 3:21 AM, Windshaper#51125 said:

I AM TOTALLY DOING THE SAME THING!!!! I AM ALREADY A 1/3 OF THE WAY IN FOR WoR!!

Yayy!!  Welcome!  We're currently on Week 3, but we'll be onto WoR soon.  Feel free to chip into discussion.:lol:

On 7/29/2020 at 3:12 AM, PleatherDuster said:

Well, I'm nearly caught up. I'm at Szeth's second interlude. His interlude chapters have been a struggle for me. He is just such a pitiful character. And of all Sanderson characters, I find him to be one of the hardest for me to believe. In this book anyways. 

Honestly?  I'm the same, I skipped Szeth the first time around, and although I'm enjoying his interludes *now*, that's because I know all the goodie good stuff that happens later!

I'm a big Adolin fan (how do y'all pronounce his name, anyway? ). I really love any interaction between him and Dalinar. Ado is just so darn earnest and good, and loves his daddy and brother. His POV is just wonderful to read. But, man, he is so stupid (except when it comes to soldiering). Like anytime Dalinar mentions wanting to make the world better for common people, his brain just can't handle the idea. Also, I'm typically not a big fan of fight scenes, but I find any part with him and a sword to be riveting. 

I think the correct pronunciation is "Ad-a-lin".  I've always said "A-dole-lin".  Either one may be correct, I've heard both.  What do you say?

Men can't read!!! I forgot that. It's SO ridiculous, but makes for some great plot twists (like Szeth writing words with Galivar's blood, Dalinar being shock that his brother could read/write). 

I'm a HUGE fan of this twist too, actually!  There are books where it's a scandal for women to read, but never men.  At least, none that I've come across (if you know of one, GIMMIE).  Trope breakers are life! 

On 7/28/2020 at 1:38 AM, Child of Hodor said:

Ch. 18 Adolin is an inconsiderate date. 

Lol.  Yeah, that poor prince is addicted to the chance.  Not in love with the realities of relationships. 

On 7/28/2020 at 1:38 AM, Child of Hodor said:

Ch. 27 Can't go wrong with bridge 4 getting to know each other. Moash has always been a jerk.

Yep.  We're gonna have a lot of Moash hate going on in these discussions.  I already predict it!