Stormlight Marathon

Hey you guys!

So I noticed that the Rhythm of War is coming out in a few months and I had an idea....

I'm usually super slow at re-reading books (because I know the plot, so it's not as exciting although I still enjoy it), but I wanted to re-read Stormlight books 1-3 before this next one comes out.  I think we'd have about a month and a half to read each book (probably more like a month and a week)?  I thought it would be extremely fun to find others that might want to do that with me!  We could split up the chapters so we could get it done in time, encourage each other, and just generally discuss any interesting Shard-y things we find!  Also, new friends!  I'm a huge nerd and I also love organizing, so as long as you have the books, I think it's possible.

Are you up for it?     

I’d love to!

43 minutes ago, Gears said:

I would love to engage in this activity. Warning, I read incredibly quickly [for context, I read Oathbringer in 3 hours].

That is... incredible. I... how?  The audio book is  like 50 hours :blink:. If only I had your reading skill. 
it took me weeks to read it (though admittedly I got a tad discouraged in the middle the first time I read it) 

Edited by Hentient

Just now, Hentient said:

That is... incredible. I... how?  The audio book is  like 50 hours :blink:. If only I had your reading skill. 
it took me weeks to read it (though admittedly I got a tad discouraged in the middle the first time I read it) 

My brother said that my eyes move really fast. I replied that watching my eyes while I was reading was creepy. Also, it helps when you can process words without sounding them out.

52 minutes ago, Gears said:

I would love to engage in this activity. Warning, I read incredibly quickly [for context, I read Oathbringer in 3 hours].

Ummm that's amazing. :blink:  I'd love to have that talent!  Maybe you could just join in on the discussion then?  Then you won't have to be bored by our relative slow-pace (although this is going to be speed-reading at this point for me lol).  

So I just did the math, and this whole thing will be about 19 chapters a week (which some weeks will be lighter than others depending on chapter size).  That includes interludes, because I counted them as chapters.  Is that good with everyone?

Starting on Monday, I'll post my thoughts and whatever stood out and maybe a few fun questions!  Anybody else have any thoughts on things/discussions/challenges we could do weekly?   I love hearing all the ideas!   :lol:  

2 hours ago, Mistbornwithakitty said:

Ummm that's amazing. :blink:  I'd love to have that talent!  Maybe you could just join in on the discussion then?  Then you won't have to be bored by our relative slow-pace (although this is going to be speed-reading at this point for me lol).  

So I just did the math, and this whole thing will be about 19 chapters a week (which some weeks will be lighter than others depending on chapter size).  That includes interludes, because I counted them as chapters.  Is that good with everyone?

Starting on Monday, I'll post my thoughts and whatever stood out and maybe a few fun questions!  Anybody else have any thoughts on things/discussions/challenges we could do weekly?   I love hearing all the ideas!   :lol:  

If I'm following you correctly then the system is:

• Week 01: tWoK: Prelude to 15: The Decoys (treating Prelude and Prologue as one chapter due to Prelude's short length)
  • Week 02: tWoK: 16. Cocoons to 31. Beneath the Skin
  • Week 03: tWoK: 32. Side Carry to 50. Backbreaker Powder
  • Week 04: tWoK: 51. Sas Nahn to 66. Codes
  • Week 05: tWoK: 67. Words to Epilogue: Of Most Worth, and WoR: Prologue: To Question to 8. Knives in the Back - Soldiers in the Field
  • Week 06: WoR: 9. Walking the Grave to 23. Assassins
  • Week 07: WoR: 24. Tyn to 38. The Silent Storm
  • Week 08: WoR: 39. Heterochromatic to 57. To Kill the Wind
  • Week 09: WoR: 58. Never Again to 73. A Thousand Scurrying Creatures
  • Week 10: WoR: 74. Striding the Storm to 89. The Four, and then one more for Epilogue: Art and Expectation
  • Week 11: if we include Edgedancer then the total 20 chapters of Edgedancer so as not to divide reading into 19 and 1. Otherwise shift week 12 to here, 13 to 12, etc.
    • we also might want to re-read Warbreaker as well, preferably before Words of Radiance but if we do re-read it we should definitely do so before Oathbringer
  • Week 12: OB: Prologue: To Weep to 18. Double Vision
  • Week 13: OB: 19. The Subtle Art of Diplomacy to 34. Resistance
  • Week 14: OB: 35. First into the Sky to 53. Such a Twisted Cut
  • Week 15: OB: 54. An Ancient Singer's Name to 69. Free Meal, No Strings
  • Week 16: OB: 70. Highmarshal Azure to Interlude I-7: Envoy
  • Week 17: OB: Interlude I-8: Mem to 102: Celebrant
  • Week 18: OB: 103. Hypocrite to 118. The Weight of it All
  • Week 19: OB: 119. Unity to Epilogue: Great Art

So this pattern would you say?

Of course if someone wants to check I have gotten this list correct I would appreciate that :-P Also if anyone can think of more appropriate break points, or days to stretch it a bit further, etc., or if Edgedancer and Warbreaker should or shouldn't be in the list.

7 hours ago, Gears said:

And I thought I was fast with 10 hours.
Also is sounding out words something normal readers do?  

Edited by Illwei

4 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

If I'm following you correctly then the system is:

• Week 01: tWoK: Prelude to 15: The Decoys (treating Prelude and Prologue as one chapter due to Prelude's short length)
  • Week 02: tWoK: 16. Cocoons to 31. Beneath the Skin
  • Week 03: tWoK: 32. Side Carry to 50. Backbreaker Powder
  • Week 04: tWoK: 51. Sas Nahn to 66. Codes
  • Week 05: tWoK: 67. Words to Epilogue: Of Most Worth, and WoR: Prologue: To Question to 8. Knives in the Back - Soldiers in the Field
  • Week 06: WoR: 9. Walking the Grave to 23. Assassins
  • Week 07: WoR: 24. Tyn to 38. The Silent Storm
  • Week 08: WoR: 39. Heterochromatic to 57. To Kill the Wind
  • Week 09: WoR: 58. Never Again to 73. A Thousand Scurrying Creatures
  • Week 10: WoR: 74. Striding the Storm to 89. The Four, and then one more for Epilogue: Art and Expectation
  • Week 11: if we include Edgedancer then the total 20 chapters of Edgedancer so as not to divide reading into 19 and 1. Otherwise shift week 12 to here, 13 to 12, etc.
    • we also might want to re-read Warbreaker as well, preferably before Words of Radiance but if we do re-read it we should definitely do so before Oathbringer
  • Week 12: OB: Prologue: To Weep to 18. Double Vision
  • Week 13: OB: 19. The Subtle Art of Diplomacy to 34. Resistance
  • Week 14: OB: 35. First into the Sky to 53. Such a Twisted Cut
  • Week 15: OB: 54. An Ancient Singer's Name to 69. Free Meal, No Strings
  • Week 16: OB: 70. Highmarshal Azure to Interlude I-7: Envoy
  • Week 17: OB: Interlude I-8: Mem to 102: Celebrant
  • Week 18: OB: 103. Hypocrite to 118. The Weight of it All
  • Week 19: OB: 119. Unity to Epilogue: Great Art

So this pattern would you say?

Of course if someone wants to check I have gotten this list correct I would appreciate that :-P Also if anyone can think of more appropriate break points, or days to stretch it a bit further, etc., or if Edgedancer and Warbreaker should or shouldn't be in the list.

That is an AMAZING schedule.  Yeah, you've got it 100% correct.  I double checked!  

I think this will just be a re-reading of the main three books, BUT if those of you who are super-speed-readers wanna go for Edgedancer/Warbreaker than go straight ahead!  You're free to discuss it here.  Otherwise, it looks like we'll need that week, because the book comes out on the 17th of November. Thank you @Ixthos so much for this!  

So as it stands, our dates will be: 

July 13th-19th: Week 1

July 20th-26th: Week 2

July 27th-August 2nd: Week 3

August 3rd-9th: Week 4

August 10th-16th: Week 5

August 17th-23rd: Week 6

August 24th-30th: Week 7

August 31st-September 6th: Week 8

September 7th-13th: Week 9

September 14th-20th: Week 10

September 21st-27th: Week 11 

September 28th-October 4th: Week 12

October 5th-11th: Week 13

October 12th-18th: Week 14

October 19th-25th: Week 15

October 26th-November 1st: Week 16

November 2nd-8th: Week 17

November 9th-15th: Week 18

November 17th: RHYTHM OF WAAARR!

Anyone is allowed to join or leave at anytime.  If you can't read all the chapters in one week, just make it up when you can (same goes for reading ahead, we're all gonna be different paces)!  Yayyy!  I'm so excited! :lol:

Lol, @Gears, you're twice the speed reader I am! My record for OB is about 7 hours total, broken up around work and graduate courses.  Overall, I can do books 1-3 in 4 or 5 days.  Your eyes must not just move fast, they must move at LUDICROUS SPEED!! [bonus points if you get that reference]. A 3 hour reading is somewhere between incredibly impressive and slightly frightening!

1 hour ago, Illwei said:

And I thought I was fast with 10 hours.
Also is sounding out words something normal readers do?  

@Illwei As a former teacher, I can confirm that many American teens and adults of all professions move their lips while reading.  This is normal for lots of people and if someone does there is nothing to worry about.

Other trends, however.... [remembers the writing abilities of the average 11th grader and mimes clawing out own eyes in horrible-grammar-induced-apoplexy].

Edited by SteelShaper

2 hours ago, Ixthos said:

AAAAALLLL Right ladies and gentlemen (and Sleepless and Singers and Spren of all ages)! Books at the ready!

Hope everyone has a great time reading! :-)

Yayy!!  I'm gonna be a nerd and compile a bunch of notes on my thoughts during the reading that I'll post at the end of the week.  Y'all can join me, or just breeze over my gushing and rambling.  

I actually cheated and started yesterday at work.  ;)

On 7/6/2020 at 7:36 AM, Gears said:

How much of that did you comprehend?

Because I'm a fast reader I can do like three 200 page books in a day but it took me about three days to do Oathbringer. I was on vacation at the time but still.

29 minutes ago, Frustration said:

How much of that did you comprehend?

Because I'm a fast reader I can do like three 200 page books in a day but it took me about three days to do Oathbringer. I was on vacation at the time but still.

I believe I comprehended most of it.