How are you getting Dark One?

Karger

Dark One is not yet available in my normal e-library so I am going to have to purchase it.  I was wondering where people are getting their copies as I would like to examine pricing/compatibility vs wait times for it to be more available.

As far as I can tell, the MAINSTREAM print release isn't until the 17th of November (source: amazon, bookdepository, local book stores, check those for prices in your currency).  I'd assume they'll do a mainstream electronic release around the same date.

If you want it sooner, I think the Vault Comics store is your only option.  Print is shipping from August 17th ($30USD), electronic available now ($20USD).

(I don't have $20 so I'll probably put it on my Christmas list)

Edited by Snorkel

I bought the hardcover + ebook bundle from Vault Comics, as @Snorkel said, it seems to be the only way for now.

A few remarks on the quality of the ebook though:

• The epub file seems kind of half-cooked: the title is "DARK ONE Epub Build", there is no author etc. I was able to correct this in Calibre
  • The epub file is rather big (~500 MB) and it might be the reason why I couldn't upload it to Google and use it in Google Play Books ("file rejected by server" error). It applies to both the original and corrected epub
  • I ended up reading Dark One in PDF format on Chrome (once again, the big size made other programs very slow and unresponsive). Not super convenient, but you can get used to it

On 07/07/2020 at 0:24 AM, KandraAllomancer said:

The epub file seems kind of half-cooked: the title is "DARK ONE Epub Build", there is no author etc. I was able to correct this in Calibre

Edit: doesn't work :<

Edited by Snorkel

1 hour ago, Snorkel said:

Epub files are essentially .zip files, so something you could try is renaming (a copy of) the original epub to .zip extension, find and extract the images, put them in a new zip/rar file, rename that file to cbz/cbr and use a comic reader to read it.

Thanks, I haven't tried that :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought the book.  Nope, my above suggestion doesn't work because the epub uses two layers of images for each page.  I have never seen THAT before in an epub.  The pdf seems the more readable version.

Not sure what the files in the Mac OS folder of the ZIP file are supposed to be.  Edit: oh it's a MAC OS file organising thing. How annoying.

Edited by Snorkel