Trying to read Edgedancer

Clarity-Art

Hey there, everyone! 

I'm currently trying to read Edgedancer, but I feel like the biggest impediment to my progress is that I didn't read it when I should've. I went straight from Words of Radiance to Oathbringer. Now, when reading Edgedancer, I'm just frustrated because it's basically WoR Lift and her craziness all over again. I know that Edgedancer is supposed to follow her personal journey after her interlude in WoR, and I know that Lift is supposed to be immature and everything, but Edgedancer just feels like a pain to read. Should I keep trying to read it and get to the end, or just take a break and come back later?

This novella is magnificent on a level that rivals The Emperor's Soul. If you do not read it, you will regret it. However, if you find yourself unable to slog through the pages no matter what, there is a succinct summary on the Coppermind.

I had issues when reading Edgedancer as well. Guess WoR Lift is not my favorite person. But I am happy to have finished it as it provides depth to Lift and to Nale as well. Though I wouldn't place it at the same level as Emperor's Soul and I will not reread it as often as the other Stormlight books, I encourage you to read on. :D

1 hour ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Yeah, keep reading, it has one of my favorite characters in one of the best scenes in all of Stormlight IMO. I won't say anymore, I don't want to spoil it, but it's amazing.

Is it when

Spoiler

Lift summons Wyndle as a shardfork?

I loved that scene too.

The best moment in Edgedancer, in my opinion, is

her using all the Stormlight she got from eating pancakes to heal all wounded people in the hospital and leaving the city hungry, when she originally pretended to have come there to eat. (Of course, she actually went there to save an unknown Radiant from someone who was actually after her as well and far more powerful than her.)

Lift is one of the most heroic characters in the cosmere, the fandom just hasn't caught up on it yet.

Edited by Elegy

Edgedancer is a shorter story (relatively speaking) but the resolution is really important for understanding everything else that happens in the story. Lift is an unreliable narrator *of her own motivations* and I think this is why some people dislike her so strongly. It wasn't until I read Edgedancer a second time that I picked up on all of the clues Brandon left. Until I made that connection, I think I was fundamentally misreading her sections of the novels.

I really enjoyed edgedancer and i read it after OB....right after OB. I found it to be a great way to float down from stormlight. Much the opposite of the novels; short, super tight and zany. But radiant through and through. Lift is like a robert anton wilson character being radiant, its great.