Hamilton on Disney Plus

I loved it! It was the first time I’d seen it, and I was not expecting it to be funny. Thomas Jefferson was my favorite (or just Daveed diggs in general). 
But I agree, King George was awesome! His little sassy "I'm better then you" walk was the best.

Edited by Hentient

19 minutes ago, Jaywalk said:

Watched it last night, and it was fantastic! It had such a great rhythm, and it was really well paced.

I also can’t stop listening to Yorktown. Please help.

Hey, I can't stop listening to Ten Duel Commandments, so uh... I don't know how much help I'd be.

Fun Fact: listening to Hamilton while walking up stairs/down a hall while wearing a nearly knee length cardigan?  Best feeling ever.

1 hour ago, Jaywalk said:

Watched it last night, and it was fantastic! It had such a great rhythm, and it was really well paced.

I also can’t stop listening to Yorktown. Please help.

I cant stop listening to... all of it.

My Proud Moment Of The Day: I finally got all the lyrics to My shot right. *Hair flip*

4 hours ago, Hentient said:

Thomas Jefferson was my favorite (or just Daveed diggs in general). 

The first time he shows up on stage, and we find out who he is, I turned to my wife and said, "Thomas Jefferson is a pimp?" But he ended up being my favorite part of the show as well. He was terrific!

On 7/4/2020 at 1:10 PM, Spren of Kindness said:

Who watched Hamilton on Disney Plus?  It was the first time I'd seen it, and wow, it's so good.  The music, the acting, all of it.  Especially King George.

My little sister and I both watched it yesterday for the first time! We were really obsessed with the musical when it first hit the scene a few years ago, and we know the majority of the soundtrack by heart. But we never got the opportunity to see it in real life because the tickets were super expensive. Being able to watch it on Disney+ was an absolute blast. 

I think my favorite King George moment was when he pranced right into the middle of "The Reynolds Pamphlet" sequence and started throwing the papers around with the rest of the cast. Jonathan Groff absolutely slayed the "You'll Be Back" and "I Know Him" vocals, but his mannerisms and accent gave his performance as King George some extra flair. 

On 7/4/2020 at 4:16 PM, Hentient said:

Thomas Jefferson was my favorite (or just Daveed diggs in general). 

One of my favorite parts was in "The Election of 1800" when Hamilton says "Jefferson has my vote" and Jefferson does a little happy dance and Burr's face falls.

20 hours ago, Shard of Reading said:

Please don't kill me, but I don't think I need to watch Hamilton again. I enjoyed it, and I really like some parts (King George) but, I like other musicals better.

I agree that other musicals are better, but given that Hamilton is pretty much the only musical that can be (legally) watched from home (aside from Shrek, Newsies, 21 Chump Street, and maybe a few others), I might rewatch it a couple times. Totally get why you wouldn't want to rewatch the entire three hours though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 4:03 PM, revelryintheart said:

I agree that other musicals are better, but given that Hamilton is pretty much the only musical that can be (legally) watched from home (aside from Shrek, Newsies, 21 Chump Street, and maybe a few others), I might rewatch it a couple times. Totally get why you wouldn't want to rewatch the entire three hours though.

If you can, check out Broadway HD!!!
Yes, it costs money, but it's like Disney+ or Netflix, but Broadway. (Some off-Broadway musicals/plays, as well.) There is a pretty wide variety of options, though none of them are super recent shows.

On 7/8/2020 at 7:28 PM, Shard of Reading said:

Please don't kill me, but I don't think I need to watch Hamilton again. I enjoyed it, and I really like some parts (King George) but, I like other musicals better.

I agree. It's a good show, but if you ask me, it's overrated. Yes, it's a great, fun show, and I love that it's gotten more people into musicals, but I've never been interested in history or rap or hip hop, so it's definitely not my style of show.

On 7/7/2020 at 8:44 AM, Spren of Kindness said:

Also, 'Dear Theodosia' has turned me into a gushy mess.  It's just so sweet.

I will agree on this. I love this song, and Helpless is great, too!

4 hours ago, Dean said:

I watched Hamilton recently and absolutely loved it... was wondering if any of Sanderson's stories can be turned into a play/musical...

I couldn't imagine musicals or plays for any of them honestly, they're too...Idk. but honestly I can't get the idea of a Stormlight Archive/WoK ballet out of my head...

Edit: I could see a parody musical along the lines of Ani or A Very Potter Musical by Starkid happening, but nothing serious.

Edit Edit: Please someone tell me I'm not the only one who has thought of a WoK ballet? like the scene with Hoid and the Flute? Idk other things that won't fully form as ideas in my mind.  

Edited by Illwei
I had more thoughts

2 minutes ago, Illwei said:

I couldn't imagine musicals or plays for any of them honestly, they're too...Idk. but honestly I can't get the idea of a Stormlight Archive/WoK ballet out of my head...

Edit: I could see a parody musical along the lines of Ani or A Very Potter Musical by Starkid happening, but nothing serious.

Yeah, I agree with you. I only posed the question... cause it'd be pretty funny to hear Kaladin sing. But Hoid did give him a flute...

I think SA is pretty hard to adapt in any form. It needs dedicated minds to pull it off.

The story itself is so complex and the magical system is intertwined into it. Maybe a TV series on the scale of Game of Thrones.

But it'd be cool to watch though.

18 minutes ago, Dean said:

Yeah, I agree with you. I only posed the question... cause it'd be pretty funny to hear Kaladin sing. But Hoid did give him a flute...

I think SA is pretty hard to adapt in any form. It needs dedicated minds to pull it off.

The story itself is so complex and the magical system is intertwined into it. Maybe a TV series on the scale of Game of Thrones.

But it'd be cool to watch though.

They have some form of a script written already for a film adaptation (which scares me because so much goes on that i wonder how it would split up) definitely hoping more for a TV show but at the same time there's so much there that I can't begin to imagine how it would transfer without the PoV characters' thoughts there for you to just read. How someone could explain all of that without talking? anyways that leads me to my ballet theory : ) 

Idk the Idea of a WoK ballet sounds interesting to me. Idk how it would work, because SA is so complex, but I just feel like if you can't say everything the viewer needs to be able to hear then saying nothing is a close second. or maybe a far away second. Yeah...A far away second, but still a second nonetheless. Also there's so much fighting that could work in there somehow. and Syl.

If someone were to try and adapt any Sanderson book to a musical, I think...wow...what do I think? um...The Reckoners probably seem the least complex, but at the same time I can't imagine it being anything but a comical adaptation. Maybe Edgedancer, honestly. or Mistborn.

ON THE MATTER OF PLAYS THOUGH sorry I just wanted to make sure that if you didn't read the above, you read this (you in the general sense of anyone reading) because I just had ideas. I could definitely see Shadows of Silence in the Forests of Hell or Sixth of Dusk done as little black box performances. In fact, I really want to see that now. The idea of it kind of gives me The Sandbox vibes for no reason I can explain. Really no reason I can explain, because The Sandbox is...I can't explain it. Just the vibe i get from thinking about it.

anyways-

Edited by Illwei

3 minutes ago, Illwei said:

They have some form of a script written already for a film adaptation (which scares me because so much goes on that i wonder how it would split up) definitely hoping more for a TV show but at the same time there's so much there that I can't begin to imagine how it would transfer without the PoV characters' thoughts there for you to just read. How someone could explain all of that without talking? anyways that leads me to my ballet theory : ) 

Idk the Idea of a WoK ballet sounds interesting to me. Idk how it would work, because SA is so complex, but I just feel like if you can't say everything the viewer needs to be able to hear then saying nothing is a close second. or maybe a far away second. Yeah...A far away second, but still a second nonetheless. Also there's so much fighting that could work in there somehow. and Syl.

If someone were to try and adapt any Sanderson book to a musical, I think...wow...what do I think? um...The Reckoners probably seem the least complex, but at the same time I can't imagine it being anything but a comical adaptation. Maybe Edgedancer, honestly. or Mistborn.

ON THE MATTER OF PLAYS THOUGH sorry I just wanted to make sure that if you didn't read the above, you read this (you in the general sense of anyone reading) because I just had ideas. I could definitely see Shadows of Silence in the Forests of Hell or Sixth of Dusk done as little black box performances. In fact, I really want to see that now. The idea of it kind of gives me The Sandbox vibes for no reason I can explain. Really no reason I can explain, because The Sandbox is...I can't explain it. Just the vibe i get from thinking about it.

Turning SA into a movie... I don't know. How long does it have to be? I know, many things will be deleted... but still. It'd be like LOTR extended editions... only in SA's case, it will be the theatrical edition. I think if it does get made into a movie, the first movie will be the key. I think Mistborn will give us an idea of what we can expect.

I can do nothing but hope.

Just now, Dean said:

Turning SA into a movie... I don't know. How long does it have to be? I know, many things will be deleted... but still. It'd be like LOTR extended editions... only in SA's case, it will be the theatrical edition. I think if it does get made into a movie, the first movie will be the key. I think Mistborn will give us an idea of what we can expect.

I can do nothing but hope.

I- mistborn scares me. Changing characters? the idea of a Movie-Tv show-Movie format? terrifying.

Just now, Illwei said:

I- mistborn scares me. Changing characters? the idea of a Movie-Tv show-Movie format? terrifying.

Changing characters? Oh no, I can't imagine that happening to SA, to any work. It scares me too...

6 minutes ago, Dean said:

Changing characters? Oh no, I can't imagine that happening to SA, to any work. It scares me too...

I mean, he already confirmed that in his Mistborn screenplay he is making major (okay technically minor) changes to the story and characters. So even though i respect the decision, I hope that Mistborn isn't something to go off of for SA lol

Edited by Illwei
eek i said mostborn and not mistborn