White Sand Excitement?

Jofwu

This is really more of a White Sand thing, but I'm putting it here on the off chance people want to reference something specific and spoilery from Dark One...

I thought the quality of this graphic novel was SOOO much better than White Sand. I never felt like the art and dialog were sending mixed signals and didn't spot any blatant errors or contradictions. Well, okay, that's a pretty low bar to clear... Beyond that, it did a MUCH better job letting the artwork communicate information about the world and characters. Marvelous. You could TELL that it was written as a graphic novel and not some jumbled attempt to translate a prose novel.

So, while I'm really excited to read Dark One Volume 2...

I also can't help but be super optimistic about the future of White Sand graphic novels! Anyone else right there with me?

Ask me again after I read Volume's 2 & 3! ...I'll probably end up waiting for the Omnibus...

But overall, yeah, I'm excited too. White Sand had some steep learning curves, and Dark One clearly benefited from that. I'm sure future White Sand volumes will benefit form what Dark One has taught Sanderson about graphic novels. 

Yeah I'm with you on that. Brandon and Isaac also brought this up during the preorder Q&A, how they learned a lot from the issues of White Sand in how they can use the medium better and how they can better work with the people creating the graphic novel. Also sounds like we'll get a tiny bit more White Sand material before volume 2, because the omnibus will have a few more pages, so maybe we can already see the improvements then!

I wonder how many of the improvements are from Dragonsteel now having more experience, or more from Vault suiting them more than Dynamite.

So - if they stay with Dynamite for further White Sand graphic novels (which they might be contractually obliged to do), how much this gained experience will actually help.

Edit: I also just finished reading the Dresden Files comics yesterday, also by Dynamite.  I found those disappointing too.  I can't help just feeling that maybe Dynamite are just not the right publisher for this kind of work.

Edited by Snorkel