A new Intent

So I have this completely crazy theory about Shards and their intent. I don't know if this has come up before, but here it goes:

We know from certain WoB that the number of shards wasn't limited to 16. There could have been more and there could have been less. 

We know that Odium, and possibly others are going around splintering Shards, which are already pieces of divinity.

I believe (I'll have to check) that it has been said that when a shard is splintered, it can be put back together.

This brings me to my claims. 

1: Adonalsium was not broken along clear lines of intent, hence the term "shattering" Adonalsium was the whole, the infinity.

And the next logical step 

2: when a shard is splintered, it can be reassembled as a different intent.

For this specific statement, I have some type of proof beyond just speculation.

On Roshar, we know that there are three shards: Honor, Cultivation, and Odium. At the battle of Thaylen Field, Dalinar Ascended, written with a capital A. He tells Odium "I am Unity", again note the capital U. I believe that here, Dalinar somehow grabbed some splinters of Honor and Ascended with a new Intent.

4 hours ago, rosin_the_beau said:

On Roshar, we know that there are three shards: Honor, Cultivation, and Odium. At the battle of Thaylen Field, Dalinar Ascended, written with a capital A. He tells Odium "I am Unity", again note the capital U. I believe that here, Dalinar somehow grabbed some splinters of Honor and Ascended with a new Intent.

Well no

Spoiler

Questioner

Dalinar Ascends, right? Like, right then, there.

Brandon Sanderson

I have RAFO'd that. Whether he is Ascending or not is a RAFO.

Questioner

Okay, because I know he kind of mentions from that, I don't know how to say his name but the older guy who has the Diagram--

Brandon Sanderson

Taravangian, yeah. Whether that deserves to be a capital "A" or not is a matter of argument. It can be disputed.

Questioner

I guess my main question would just be Dalinar's now able to pull Stormlight and give it to people now.

Brandon Sanderson

He definitely can. That is a Bondsmith power, so.

Questioner

That is a Bondsmith power, okay.

Brandon Sanderson

That is specifically a Bondsmith power.

Questioner

Because my roommate was saying well, the Stormfather was surprised he could do that or was the Stormfather surprised that he was able to bridge--

Brandon Sanderson

He was surprised by what was happening to Dalinar as a whole.

Questioner

Oh okay, that's what I thought because I was like, because I felt like the Stormlight, that power would be a Bondsmith power.

Brandon Sanderson

Let's say that the Stormfather and Odium were seeing something in Dalinar that, perhaps, the average person watching even who is knowledgeable about Surges would not completely understand... But he will be able to use that power and Bondsmiths in the past have used that same power.

Footnote: Brandon clarified that he might have been unintentionally misleading in his answers to this question during his Stormlight 4 Update 1.
Idaho Falls signing (Dec. 29, 2018)

Also Unity has a capital is because it's being used as a pronoun.

2 hours ago, Frustration said:

Well no

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

Dalinar Ascends, right? Like, right then, there.

Brandon Sanderson

I have RAFO'd that. Whether he is Ascending or not is a RAFO.

Questioner

Okay, because I know he kind of mentions from that, I don't know how to say his name but the older guy who has the Diagram--

Brandon Sanderson

Taravangian, yeah. Whether that deserves to be a capital "A" or not is a matter of argument. It can be disputed.

Questioner

I guess my main question would just be Dalinar's now able to pull Stormlight and give it to people now.

Brandon Sanderson

He definitely can. That is a Bondsmith power, so.

Questioner

That is a Bondsmith power, okay.

Brandon Sanderson

That is specifically a Bondsmith power.

Questioner

Because my roommate was saying well, the Stormfather was surprised he could do that or was the Stormfather surprised that he was able to bridge--

Brandon Sanderson

He was surprised by what was happening to Dalinar as a whole.

Questioner

Oh okay, that's what I thought because I was like, because I felt like the Stormlight, that power would be a Bondsmith power.

Brandon Sanderson

Let's say that the Stormfather and Odium were seeing something in Dalinar that, perhaps, the average person watching even who is knowledgeable about Surges would not completely understand... But he will be able to use that power and Bondsmiths in the past have used that same power.

Footnote: Brandon clarified that he might have been unintentionally misleading in his answers to this question during his Stormlight 4 Update 1.
Idaho Falls signing (Dec. 29, 2018)

Also Unity has a capital is because it's being used as a pronoun.

I think you mean not necessarily. I am new, but an RAFO is neither a yes or a no to me. 

Also, if you have a source for Unity being a pronoun, I'd love to see it. I place a big emphasis on capitalization in my own reading.

I really like this theory! I don't think that Dalinar Ascended all the way, though, or it would have been more obvious to him. It's possible that he only seized a few Splinters, thereby making it a partial Ascension (which could be the reason for the disputed nature of it). It might also have been a temporary Ascension, like

(Mistborn Secret History Spoilers)

Spoiler

Kelsier did, or even like the Lord Ruler.

Either way, I think that the idea of giving a Splintered Shard a new Intent is a really interesting one, and I would not be surprised if this was part of the SA endgame.

19 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

I really like this theory! I don't think that Dalinar Ascended all the way, though, or it would have been more obvious to him. It's possible that he only seized a few Splinters, thereby making it a partial Ascension (which could be the reason for the disputed nature of it). It might also have been a temporary Ascension, like

(Mistborn Secret History Spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

Kelsier did, or even like the Lord Ruler.

Either way, I think that the idea of giving a Splintered Shard a new Intent is a really interesting one, and I would not be surprised if this was part of the SA endgame.

After a bit more study of Ascension, I think Dalinar definitely Ascended the same way the Lord Ruler did, and became a Sliver, rather than a shard.

On 7/2/2020 at 8:35 PM, rosin_the_beau said:

I think you mean not necessarily. I am new, but an RAFO is neither a yes or a no to me. 

Specifically it means Read and find out.

And I was referring to the highlighted bit.

On 7/2/2020 at 8:35 PM, rosin_the_beau said:

Also, if you have a source for Unity being a pronoun, I'd love to see it. I place a big emphasis on capitalization in my own reading.

Perhaps Pronoun was the wrong term, but I feel it's more akin to Nale saying that he is the law, maybe with a bit more umph, but I don't think Dalinar is the next Honor.

On 03/07/2020 at 7:54 AM, R J said:

I'd say it's more of a question of what counts as an Ascension, but I do agree that Unity is Dalinar's interpretation of Honor's Intent

Ah, Dalinar's interpretation, or the interpretation of the voice in Dalinar's head

Aside from that, I think that Dalinar's Intent would have to be very powerful indeed to reshape the intent of a shard from such a short amount of time. 

22 minutes ago, Nightslug said:

Ah, Dalinar's interpretation, or the interpretation of the voice in Dalinar's head

Aside from that, I think that Dalinar's Intent would have to be very powerful indeed to reshape the intent of a shard from such a short amount of time. 

A Vessel has a say in how to interpret the Shard's Intent, though eventually the latter would overpower the former

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Shards and Shard intents: Holding a Shard is a contest of willpower against the Shard that, over time, is very hard to resist.

Shards affect you over time, but your mind will not leave a permanent effect on the Shard. A holder's [Vessel's] personality, however, does get to filter the Shard's intent, so to speak. However, if that holder [Vessel] no longer held that Shard, the Shard will not continue to be filtered by that person.

Alloy of Law 17th Shard Q&A (Nov. 5, 2011)

Ah- I understood that a person could over time interpret the shard's intent, but I had never seen that WoB about A Vessel has a say in how to interpret the Shard's Intent, though eventually the latter would overpower the former "if that holder [Vessel] no longer held that Shard, the Shard will not continue to be filtered by that person". Thanks for the clarification RJ :)

Edited by Nightslug
Formatting - New to the Forums!