Hesina the author of Hessi’s Mythica?

En-priestess

I do not think Hessina could have amassed that many books while at Harthstone.  Her location is too remote and books are too expensive(this is pre printing presses).

Edited by Karger

I like this theory it has relatively little evidence but it would fit nicely.  Maybe a 4 out of 10 on the chance that it's true.  Assuming you're right, what would be the next parts though? Why did Hesina leave her research and settle for a life of relative obscurity?  

1 minute ago, R J said:

I would love for Jasnah to recruit Hessi, after all her data has proved itself to be pretty accurate, and apologize to her for doubting her work.

Jasnah did not (as far as we know) doubt Hessi's work.  She doubted a specific quote that Hessi references historical accuracy.

1 hour ago, Karger said:

Jasnah did not (as far as we know) doubt Hessi's work.  She doubted a specific quote that Hessi references historical accuracy.

I read that as Jasnah doubting Hessi's hypotheses regarding the Unmades' nature 

Edited by R J
word repetition

I think Hesina and Hessi are relatives from the same learned family (maybe one was named after the other). Hesina does sound intelligent and well educated. However, her resources are too limited in Hearthstone to do any research or publish any writing. She couldn't even get a message out to her sons when they were in the army.

On 7/1/2020 at 9:39 PM, R J said:

Yeah, as I said, I read that as her doubting the Unmade's nature. Plus, Shallan's thoughts on the book in OB.

The quote means that Jasnah doubts Taxil's mention of Yelign-nar, while Hessi supports Taxil's statement. 

On 7/1/2020 at 3:49 PM, Kahlani said:

we know that Lirin was training to be a surgeon in Kharbranth

Actually Liring trained with a surgeon who had trained in Kharbranth. Lirin himself did not train in Kharbranth.

Kal felt a spike of excitement. Kharbranth? That was in an entirely different kingdom! Kal’s father had traveled there as a courier, but he hadn’t trained there as a surgeon. He’d learned from old Vathe in Shorse broon, the nearest town of any size.

On 7/1/2020 at 8:11 PM, Karger said:

I do not think Hessina could have amassed that many books while at Harthstone.  Her location is too remote and books are too expensive(this is pre printing presses).

On 7/3/2020 at 4:48 PM, CosmicSieve said:

I think Hesina and Hessi are relatives from the same learned family (maybe one was named after the other). Hesina does sound intelligent and well educated. However, her resources are too limited in Hearthstone to do any research or publish any writing. She couldn't even get a message out to her sons when they were in the army.

She obviously didn't write it in Hearthstone, but Kaladin is only 20 and Hesina is likely in her mid-40s. She could have been a prodigy and she wrote a book she was really proud of at a young age (Shallan is only 18). She publishes her book, it's widely scorned and viewed as heretical, she is not accepted with the other scholars because she's darkeyed, and she falls in love with an intense young, darkeyed surgeon. In love, not accepted in town, and disappointed by the reception to a book she was really proud of she abandons scholarship and leaves with the surgeon to his small hometown...

It could happen. I've wondered the same thing.

EDIT: Someone pointed out that Hessi references scholarship done by Jasnah in the book, so Hesina could only have done it from Hearthstone, or the family didn't move to hearthstone until after Kaladin was born.

Edited by thejopen27

1 hour ago, thejopen27 said:

She obviously didn't write it in Hearthstone, but Kaladin is only 20 and Hesina is likely in her mid-40s. She could have been a prodigy and she wrote a book she was really proud of at a young age (Shallan is only 18). She publishes her book, it's widely scorned and viewed as heretical, she is not accepted with the other scholars because she's darkeyed, and she falls in love with an intense young, darkeyed surgeon. In love, not accepted in town, and disappointed by the reception to a book she was really proud of she abandons scholarship and leaves with the surgeon to his small hometown...

It could happen. I've wondered the same thing.

Nah. In Mythica she references Jasnah's personal opinions about various topics Jasnah is younger than Hessina, so if Hessina was a 20 year old prodigy, Jasnah was an 1-15 year old prodigy that also was already studying the unmade? 

So no Hessina writing Mythica in her early 20s is not possible 

18 minutes ago, GriffinMaze said:

Nah. In Mythica she references Jasnah's personal opinions about various topics Jasnah is younger than Hessina, so if Hessina was a 20 year old prodigy, Jasnah was an 1-15 year old prodigy that also was already studying the unmade? 

So no Hessina writing Mythica in her early 20s is not possible 

dang, you got me there...