Skybreakers etymology

So yeah. Maybe someone else has made these connections before. If so tell me..

Now , most order names are intuitive ( with the exception of elsecallers maybe ) , windrunners run on the wind, lightweavers weave light , edge dancers dance can dance on the edge, dust bringers turn stuff to dust etc. 

Now what does skybreaker mean ? I found someone asking thst question some months back somewhere and have been wondering and came to this conclusion. 

Now in OB , stormfather mentions to dalinar that the way he uses surges will be different from the way other orders sharing the surge use it .

While windrunners use adhesion physically , bondsmiths use it spiritually as well as physically  , similarly Tension is used differently by the smiths and the stonewards. But bondsmiths can't pull off the same trick as stonewards I believe. 

This got me wondering. Are bondsmiths the only exceptions and I thought perhaps we could split surges into two groups. 

Surges like gravitation , transformation and progression which can be used in only one way by either co-orders. 

And surges like adhesion , tension which can be used in differing manners by the Co-orders .

Perhaps illumination is one such. I mean , truthwatcher wouldn't really be anything new if they too Could sculpt illusions. 

Renarin mentions shallan has been teyuy to help him master thier shared surge to no avail and yes , maybe that was due to Ren having a corrupted Spren but idt that's the entire answer.

Now if the same principles apply then division too should be used differently by skybreakers and ashbringers.

Ashbringers as malata has shown can manipulate combustion. Make things burn.

But I doubt skybreakers can do the same thing. We have seen them use gravitation to fly same as windrunners, but not use division , even for small uses. 

I think it's cause they interpret division as not fire but lightning. Makes more sense for flying radiants to have access to cloudspren??? or simply molecules in clouds , rub them together and viola . Lightning.

And doesn't lightning look like the sky is being shattered like a pane of glass ? If only for a moment. 

Hence the name skybreakers. 

PS: It will be so cool to see szeth be like Thor but with Nightblood instead of Mjilnor . ❤️

I also wonder if abrasion is used differently by Edgedancers and ashbringers  , since nale doesn't consider them to be too graceful. 

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

10 minutes ago, PrinceGenocide said:

Now what does skybreaker mean ? I found someone asking thst question some months back somewhere and have been wondering and came to this conclusion. 

I assume that it refers to their Surges: Gravitation ("sky") and Division ("breaker")

This got me wondering. Are bondsmiths the only exceptions and I thought perhaps we could split surges into two groups. 

Bondsmiths are an exception, kind of. Or at least their Adhesion is:

Zmann966

So, in Oathbringer, we see the Surge of Adhesion used in an interesting way, Spiritual Adhesion. Do all the Surges have non-Physical manifestations like that?

Brandon Sanderson

All the Surges do, slightly, in fact, but none of them, I would say, are as Spiritual as that. 

Zmann966

What about like, Shallan in Words of Radiance with her mercenaries? So, like, a Spiritual Transformation? 

Brandon Sanderson

I wouldn't say Transformation, she is seeing a little bit, glimpsing a little bit, does that make sense? 

Oathbringer Chicago signing (Nov. 21, 2017)

I think it's cause they interpret division as not fire but lightning. Makes more sense for flying radiants to have access to cloudspren??? or simply molecules in clouds , rub them together and viola . Lightning.

That would be Abrasion, I think

Edited by KandraAllomancer

23 minutes ago, PrinceGenocide said:

And doesn't lightning look like the sky is being shattered like a pane of glass ? If only for a moment. 

Hence the name skybreakers

There is a Shardcast episode that briefly mentions this theory, but in more of a joking manner. This is where I always hoped that Brandon would take this Order, but I don't know if that would be to overpowered for an Order. Like on a battle field, if you have a large group moving just send out 2-3 Skybreakers to blow them up. But man, I do love this theory.

1 hour ago, KandraAllomancer said:

It really depends.  If you break enough air molecules you will probably get lightning.  At least the process might resemble that more then burning.

Edited by Karger

7 minutes ago, Karger said:

It really depends.  If you break enough air molecules you will probably get lightning.  At least the process might resemble that more then burning.

I mean, lightning splits air molecules through its sheer amount of energy. So if you split the air molecules directly, do you reverse engineer lightning?

1 hour ago, PrinceGenocide said:

with the exception of elsecallers maybe

I assumed that that was referencing the surge of transportation...or maybe transformation...
like, calling...from somewhere else (shadesmar)? whether that be calling yourself or objects?

1 hour ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I mean, lightning splits air molecules through its sheer amount of energy. So if you split the air molecules directly, do you reverse engineer lightning?

Define directly.  Maybe Skybreakers just make lightning.

20 minutes ago, Wits End said:

My head just exploded.

Whoops, sorry, didn't mean to use Division on it.

Define directly.  Maybe Skybreakers just make lightning.

Using Division to break the air molecules instead of electric current.

Edited by Halyo_Alex
forgot to reply to Karger

Or maybe the Orders that share a Surge are better at using it in a certain way than the other. Maybe the Edgedancers are more skilled at decreasing friction, while the Dustbringers are more skilled at increasing friction.

The Truthwatchers are at the center of the double eye, maybe it's cultural, maybe it's to denote their role, the surrounding Orders protecting them, but if it is more related to the magics, then maybe it's because both of those Orders are skilled at Spiritual manifestations of their Surges.

*Dustbringers not Ashbringers (but that's a cool name), Mjolnir not Mjilnor

Edited by R J
unnecessary words

19 hours ago, KandraAllomancer said:

I assume that it refers to their Surges: Gravitation ("sky") and Division ("breaker")

Hmmm the first point is possible I guess but lacks dramatics. 

Hmm, idk man. Like if we didn't know better , we could have said thst maybe kaladin is able to stick things together using gravitational bonding or using  abrasion to Increase the friction between them till they were essentially one object . But it's adhesion instead. 

Similarly it could be division here. 

19 hours ago, FantasyFanatic said:

I don't know if that would be to overpowered for an Order. Like on a battle field, if you have a large group moving just send out 2-3 Skybreakers to blow them up. But man, I do love this theory.

Idk if it's that op. I think it would be similar to Stormform , maybe a bit more powerful.  

Not anymore op that setting the ground aflame or  turning things to bronze like jasnah can do. 

I think they summon bolts of lightening like the stormformed do but since they throw it from the sky it literally looks like lighting hence the name. 

Even if it's way stronger , at best u can take out what ? 5 ppl at most. Not too different than small artillery. 

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

19 hours ago, PrinceGenocide said:

I also wonder if abrasion is used differently by Edgedancers and ashbringers  , since nale doesn't consider them to be too graceful.

Possibly an enhanced sense of balance is the Edgedancer resonance.

2 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Using Lift is dangerous. She has peculiar abilities being cursed and booned. That may extinguish the resonance.

Hmmm perhaps but idk. I think the peculiarities are confined to the cognitive realm mostly . 

That would explain why those voidbringers were so contemptous of her. But then again they had millennia of practice

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

On 7/1/2020 at 9:20 AM, R J said:

Or maybe the Orders that share a Surge are better at using it in a certain way than the other. Maybe the Edgedancers are more skilled at decreasing friction, while the Dustbringers are more skilled at increasing friction.

*Dustbringers not Ashbringers (but that's a cool name), Mjolnir not Mjilnor

Oh yeah. That's possible. Although gravitation and transformation is used by both orders pretty similarly. 

I think Ashbringer is a cooler name.

I knew I was typing Mjilnor wrong. Was too lazy to check. :P

I think all the Radiants use their powers in more than just the physical. Kaladin is awfully good at attracting people to him and getting them to follow him. Shallan is really good at showing people things that transform them. Lift seems to naturally be able to work smoothly with anyone and seems to be able to heal mentally as well. I wouldn't be surprized if Skybreakers were naturally good at dividing people as the in-world Words of Radiance implies.

8 minutes ago, thejopen27 said:

I think all the Radiants use their powers in more than just the physical. Kaladin is awfully good at attracting people to him and getting them to follow him. Shallan is really good at showing people things that transform them. Lift seems to naturally be able to work smoothly with anyone and seems to be able to heal mentally as well. I wouldn't be surprized if Skybreakers were naturally good at dividing people as the in-world Words of Radiance implies.

Slowswift

Similar to how Lightweavers have, kind of really good memories. Do the Skybreakers have any special abilities for telling guilty and innocent people apart?

Brandon Sanderson

No. Good question.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

They were good at it simply due to training and experience

Well, lightning is technically a giant static charge.. A few years back I read that they found ice in lightning storms and what happens is as the rain falls it steals electrons off the ice and paints the ground. When there's a big enough charge.. Boom! The charge jumps back up to the clouds and balance is preserved.

Now could a Skybreaker emulate this with the surge of division?

With what little we know of the surgery, I'm thinking yes!

!~ HIF ~!