Oltux72

Burning bronze and copper

Question

Is there a scenario which would make burning bronze and copper sensible? Would you always block your own perception? Or is it possible to sense pulses coming from outside the coppercloud? Can you make a coppercloud shaped liked a donut, excluding yourself?

5 answers to this question

On 6/30/2020 at 7:21 AM, Dunkum said:

I think you can sense pulses from outside the cloud.

Marsh covers this and says:

There are great advantages to burning bronze, rather than just running around with your copper on. True, you Smoke yourself by using copper - but in a way you also blind yourself. Copper makes you immune to having your emotions Pushed or Pulled.  -Marsh TFE chapter 20. 

Brandon does say that copper makes a "dead zone":

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

If you are Smoked, you can't Seek.

KChan (paraphrased)

[Brandon] told me that because burning copper creates an Allomantic dead zone, so to speak, everything inside it is effectively silenced. This prevents pulses from reaching Seekers who are outside the cloud, but it also prevents anyone inside the cloud from receiving any pulses whatsoever. The reason Vin could do this is because of her earring.

Alloy of Law 17th Shard Q&A (Nov. 5, 2011)

On 6/30/2020 at 2:52 AM, Oltux72 said:

Can you make a coppercloud shaped liked a donut, excluding yourself?

I don't think so, but you might be able to if you were a copper savant, which at the very least extends your range (HoA chapter 16 epigraph) EDIT: I don't think so at all anymore. sorry. The epigraph is for bronze, not copper...

Edited by GoWibble

4 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Is there a scenario which would make burning bronze and copper sensible? Would you always block your own perception? Or is it possible to sense pulses coming from outside the coppercloud? Can you make a coppercloud shaped liked a donut, excluding yourself?

I think you can sense pulses from outside the cloud.  also, if you have a spike, or some other thing that enhances your bronze so that it is stronger than your copper, then you could pierce your own coppercloud and sense what is going on inside as well.

1 hour ago, Dunkum said:

I think you can sense pulses from outside the cloud.  also, if you have a spike, or some other thing that enhances your bronze so that it is stronger than your copper, then you could pierce your own coppercloud and sense what is going on inside as well.

In addition to that, I could see an instance where you burn copper to filter out some sort of perception "noise" and burn the bronze to detect only a specific (or maybe just the most powerful) signals around.  I could especially see this having an application as the metallic arts move to a more mechanical/scientific model moving into the space age 

40 minutes ago, GoWibble said:

Brandon does say that copper makes a "dead zone":

good to know.  I hadn't realized that, but it does make some sense.  spiking yourself with extra bronze to pierce your own cloud should still work, though

I love this forum so much! I just finished reading Mistborn series and had a very similar question!