Windrunner + Bondsmith Adhesion Theory

Amplus

Hey! I'm a new to the forums, but a huge fan of the books. So I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about my theory. I haven't seen this on the forum, so sorry if this a repeat and try not to go to hard on me.

A bit of background:

The Honor Spren view themselves as honors order, and were created by honor himself. And the they also see themselves as superior to the other spren. I don't think that this is just them being dicks and/or having a superiority complex.

The honorspren were created by Honor himself, many thousands of years ago  - Notum ( Honor Spren, captain of the ship Honors Path)

So presumably he gave his own order the most powerful abilities. But  so far all we've seen from Kaladin is the ability to fly and the ability for adhesion. As cool as the superglue ability is, it's noticeably less impressive than the Skybreakers abilities for gravitation and division ( or blowing stuff up), and a bit less useful. Especially since the Windrunners were used as scouts.

So why then did Honor give his order a bad or less useful secondary ability to his own order?

In Oathbringer we saw that Dalinar and the Stormfather can react with Radiants, leveraging the Stormfather and enhance the surges of other Radiants ( example: Shallan making the 3D map, and the Battle of Thaylen City ect...). Also notice that the Bondsmiths also have adhesion, but Bondsmiths have spiritual adhesion whereas the Windrunners have physical adhesion.  I don't think that the Windrunners ( honors own order ) and Bondsmiths ( bonded to lesser gods ) sharing the same surge is a coincidence.

Dalinar's Spiritual Adhesion / effect on other knights + Windrunner Physical Adhesion + Stormfather ( Spren of Oaths) = Access to bond more than one order of Spren. ( Either Temporary or Permanent ).

We know that the spren have to have a physical presence( i.e bound physically ) and they have to be bound spiritually spiritually to the person, so mixing everything together it would seem to make sense. The Bondsmith's ability to enchance other surges would be a good gate to making sure that the Windrunners don't go crazy with bonding, and the Stormfather being a sort spren of oaths would make a lot more sense. This is also probably gated under the fourth or fifth oath. It would also clarify why the Windrunners have adhesion, not for the superglue (which is just a side benefit) but instead so when the Windrunner is ready they can continue progressing and becoming more honorable. It would seem like something that Honor would want to do.

Edit: While looking through the coppermind I came by this quote by the Stormfather to Dalinar.

No Radiant is capable of more than you. Yours is the power of Connection, of joining men and worlds, minds and souls. Your Surges are the greatest of all, though they will be impotent if you seek to wield them for mere battle.

This sounds like foreshadowing to me. It would make sense that Dalinar is the most capable, because he can let windrunners (maybe more)  bond more spren and join other orders. And it also fits with the Stormfather because he looks over all the radiant bonding already.

I would like to hear your opinions on my theory!

Also obligatory Kaladin + Jasnah is totally gonna be a thing.

Edited by Amplus
typo, new proof.

Firstly welcome to the shard.  It is always good to meet a new theorist.  

While Honor may have created the honorspren he did not create the Windrunners.  That was an initiative taken by the spren themselves.  Honor was actually surprised by it.

3 minutes ago, Amplus said:

But  so far all we've seen from Kaladin is the ability to fly and the ability for adhesion. As cool as the superglue ability is, it's noticeably less impressive than the Skybreakers abilities for gravitation and division ( or blowing rust up), and a bit less useful. Especially since the Windrunners were used as scouts.

What about his whole generating a force field of wind ability that can stop a hurricane locally?  Adhesion is the surge of vacuum and pressure as well as "superglew"

5 minutes ago, Amplus said:

Access to bond more than one order of Spren. ( Either Temporary or Permanent ).

It is theoretically possible to bond more then one spren anyone could do that.  However are you suggesting that you can temp bond without swearing oaths?  That would be a cool power up. 

8 minutes ago, Amplus said:

Also obligatory Kaladin + Jasnah is totally gonna be a thing.

Back of Jasnah!  She is mine!

1 minute ago, Karger said:

What about his whole generating a force field of wind ability that can stop a hurricane locally?  Adhesion is the surge of vacuum and pressure as well as "superglew"

Maybe, that's true. It could also make sense and the Dalinar radiant powerup could be a better a better force field or something.

3 minutes ago, Karger said:

It is theoretically possible to bond more then one spren anyone could do that.  However are you suggesting that you can temp bond without swearing oaths?  That would be a cool power up. 

Yeah, like the Windrunner has to swear the oath of the other order and doing some magic mumbo jumbo the Stormfather + Dalinar could enhance the Windrunners Adhesion to make it happen. Not sure if it's permanent though, could just happen while Dalinar is close by or something.

Just now, Amplus said:

Yeah, like the Windrunner has to swear the oath of the other order and doing some magic mumbo jumbo the Stormfather + Dalinar could enhance the Windrunners Adhesion to make it happen. Not sure if it's permanent though, could just happen while Dalinar is close by or something.

tganchero (paraphrased)

Is it true that humans can bond to multiple spren?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

They can theoretically bond to multiple spren.

Words of Radiance Lexington signing (March 18, 2014)

7 minutes ago, Karger said:

tganchero (paraphrased)

Is it true that humans can bond to multiple spren?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

They can theoretically bond to multiple spren.

Words of Radiance Lexington signing (March 18, 2014)

Ayy that's neat! I didn't know that this WoB existed. So there's a chance! I think it would be an interesting arc for Kaladin and B4. I hope this eventually happens. It could also be gated by the fifth oath and what "becoming honor" means for the Windrunners. They could become more honorable by swearing the oaths of another order.

Edited by Amplus
typo

9 hours ago, Amplus said:

Dalinar's Spiritual Adhesion / effect on other knights + Windrunner Physical Adhesion + Stormfather ( Spren of Oaths) = Access to bond more than one order of Spren. ( Either Temporary or Permanent ).

So i'm going to side with temporary. 

Aradanftw

Let's say you wanted to be the Mistborn equivalent of a Surgebinder, having all ten Surges, would the best way to do that to bond at least five Honorblades or can you bond more than one spren?

Brandon Sanderson

You could bond five Honorblades. That'd be the easiest way by far. Because convincing multiple spren to bond you is going to be really tough, so by far the easiest way is just to get... you'd actually need all ten Honor... No, you'd need five Honorblades for the five... Yeah.

Aradanftw

You'd have to get the right ones.

Brandon Sanderson

You'd have to get the right ones and then you'd have all ten. 

Aradanftw

And then, there's nothing wrong with bonding five individual Blades? You don't have to have five arms?

Brandon Sanderson

You do not have to have five arms. You could bond five Blades if you wanted to.

Aradanftw

Really cool. Thank you.

Brandon Sanderson

Particularly Honorblades. 

Aradanftw

They're special.

Brandon Sanderson

Mhm.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

Aradanftw

If you were to use Hemalurgy on a Surgebinder, would it steal the Surge or the actual spren bond?

Brandon Sanderson

It's going to steal the spren bond, but you've got to remember the spren has power over that bond. So what you're doing is (1) incredibly evil, even more evil, but (2) you may not end up with what you want, because that spren has free will in most cases. You may go through all this trouble and then they may break the bond, and you would be left without it. So you would need something else to force them to be unable to break the bond, which would be even more evil, but it is possible in Hemalurgy.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

Questioner

So, the fan page wanted to know. Would it be possible for Hemalurgy to steal a living Shardblade? That was the top voted question.

Brandon Sanderson

Ok, so you're bonded to a Shardblade. You get spiked, then they spike off the bond so that the Shardblade is bonded to someone else.

Questioner

I assume so...

Brandon Sanderson

But can they do it with a living Shardblade? You can definitely do it with a dead Shardblade because its just stealing the Connection. With a living Shardblade, yes you could do that 'though the spren could break the bond at will.

Questioner

So the spren would survive? That was the second-- the corollary--

Brandon Sanderson

Ehhh. Would the spren survive? The spren would survive as long as the oaths were--

Questioner

Intact?

Brandon Sanderson

--the person didn't break the oaths. But you could theoretically steal the bond, break the oaths, and kill the spren. If you wanted to. Its a very convoluted to kill a spren, they are easier to kill than that, but yes. You could do that. That is a viable but twisted route that you can do. You would end up with a dead spren and a Shardblade, so there is that. But there are easier ways to accomplish that...

White Sand vol.1 Orem signing (June 29, 2016)

10 hours ago, Karger said:

Adhesion is the surge of vacuum and pressure as well as "superglew"

This always feels very confusing to me. Adhesion, in common language describe how much things stick, this can be extended into the Spiritual Bonds and Connections. Conversely, while you can use pressure and vacuum to stick things(up to an extent), there is no way for this to be extended to Spiritual Connections.

1 hour ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

This always feels very confusing to me. Adhesion, in common language describe how much things stick, this can be extended into the Spiritual Bonds and Connections. Conversely, while you can use pressure and vacuum to stick things(up to an extent), there is no way for this to be extended to Spiritual Connections.

A think of them as the random little connections that are made between partials or people all the time.

I dont think Windrunners can, even temporarly, bond other spren. This seems to me like universal rule - of course, one can bond more than one spren, but it has to be full bond, and this mean the oaths cannot interfer. What is difficult, but not impossible.

But I also think bonding things like superglue is more sideffect, not main power. Winrunners are leaders of people, they inspire and rally. This can be due to surge of Adhesion, they bond people to them, even unconsciously.