I just wanted to start a list of minor questions people have going into Rhythm of War. Put them all in one place so maybe we can put our heads together to solve them. This is meant for minor questions, not major plot points.

my Questions:
Was Danlan Marakothra a member of the diagram or just working with Graves because she believed his stated goal? What happened to her and will we ever see her again?

Where is Kalak? I’ve never seen any theories I find credible about where he is, what he’s up to.

Who is Dova? Is she really a herald? Is it Battar, Paliah, Vedel?

Who is Navani’s family? Is she from the senior Kholin branch? A family killed by the Kholin brothers? Sister to another high prince? Same questions but for Aesuedan. 

Where are Hesina’s parents? Is she a bastard daughter or a lord or is one of her parents just a low dahn lighteyes that married a darkeyes?

What happened to Tarah? Will she come back into the story? Kaladin’s story? Will Laral?

What happened to Redin after he killed his father? What does Brandon have planned for him?

Who will be the first Stoneward we see?

Who will be the next member of Bridge 4 to attract a Spren?

is Lys the assassin one of the Heralds? Is she Chana? Vedel?

What are the oldbloods? How many are there and when did they rule?

let me know what your minor questions are?

Edited by thejopen27

22 minutes ago, thejopen27 said:

What happened to Tarah? Will she come back into the story? Kaladin’s story? Will Laral?

She is at Urithiru as of OB.  Shallan spotted her IIRC.  As of the early stormlight readings

Spoiler

Laral is in occupied Harthstone

22 minutes ago, thejopen27 said:

Where are Hesina’s parents? Is she a bastard daughter or a lord or is one of her parents just a low dahn lighteyes that married a darkeyes?

She said "meeting my parents" in WoKs so I think the second is more likely.

My minor questions are.

Will Gawx make any progress with Lift? (the two of them are adorable)

Will Dalinar's book get good reviews?  (Actually can we get a whole interlude that is just a fashionable group of Lighteyes somewhere repeating comments found on OB's goodreads page?)

Will Shallan have made any particularly good drawings and will the public have noticed?

Did Ash and Taln have a thing and will it be acknowledged by either of them?

Will any of Jasnah's girlfriends show up in this book? (I am referring to the historical group not romantic partners)

Edited by Karger

5 minutes ago, FantasyFanatic said:

I don't think we have conformation about that but we do know that Taln will be the Stoneward for book 7.

Yes, Taln will likely be one, but just as we saw Malaga before Ash becomes a Dustbringer I suspect we will see a less important Stoneward sooner. 

Er, I think these are minor questions?

Who is the Ardent that wanted to draw a picture of someone from bridge 4 in WoR (okay probably not important at all but still I'm wondering because Kaladin thinks it's strange and I trust Kaladin)

Will rock end up back in the horneater peaks? will he feel obligated because of what happened at the end of OB?

who tf is Katarotam?

Does Kaladin being called "Child of Tanavast" Have to do with Syl? Could Syl actually be the last Honorspren created by Honor/Tanavast? (but I guess the Stormfather is some sort of Tanavast because of cognitive shadows and all that?)

Can the Fused and the Heralds see into shadesmar?

Why did Lopen become a "full knight" with no sword after swearing only the second Ideal? Did Teft get the same fancy dramatic frost glyph at Ideal 2 or 3?

How come people don't get the fancy color experience when around Vasher? Also, where did Vasher go? (supposedly he's in OB but that's the book I've read the least.)

Is it possible for Vasher to see when people are using stormlight (but not enough to be visible) because of his heightening? Also what heightening is he at? because he doesn't really need breaths to survive anymore so I guess technically 5th at least.

Are there spiders on Roshar?

3 hours ago, thejopen27 said:

I mean we have evidence that Laral is in the story somewhat as of the Lirin chapter sent out in the Nov. Newsletter.

4 hours ago, Karger said:

She is at Urithiru as of OB.  Shallan spotted her IIRC.  As of the early stormlight readings

Wait what? Where might I find that?

1 minute ago, Illwei said:

Who is the Ardent that wanted to draw a picture of someone from bridge 4 in WoR (okay probably not important at all but still I'm wondering because Kaladin thinks it's strange and I trust Kaladin)

Nazh

2 minutes ago, Illwei said:

Does Kaladin being called "Child of Tanavast" Have to do with Syl? Could Syl actually be the last Honorspren created by Honor/Tanavast? (but I guess the Stormfather is some sort of Tanavast because of cognitive shadows and all that?)

She was created by the stromfather at the direction of Honor.  She was one of the first 10.

4 minutes ago, Illwei said:

Did Teft get the same fancy dramatic frost glyph at Ideal 2 or 3?

All Windrunners do.

4 minutes ago, Illwei said:

Wait what? Where might I find that?

It is the scene where she is teaching spy tactics and observation to Gaz and co.  Tarah is wearing Theylen dress.

9 hours ago, Illwei said:

Does Kaladin being called "Child of Tanavast" Have to do with Syl? Could Syl actually be the last Honorspren created by Honor/Tanavast? (but I guess the Stormfather is some sort of Tanavast because of cognitive shadows and all that?)?

I don’t think it means much. Dalinar is called “Son of Honor” many times by the Stormfather as I recall. And Honor = Tanavast (at least right now). I think it’s simply because Roshar is heavily invested with investiture associated with Honor.

Edited by Hentient

1 hour ago, Hentient said:

I don’t think it means much. Dalinar is called “Son of Honor” many times by the Stormfather as I recall. And Honor = Tanavast (at least right now). I think it’s simply because Roshar is heavily invested with investiture associated with Honor.

This actually does mean something according to a WOB:

Winds Alight (paraphrased)

In SA the Stormfather refers to several people as "Child of Honor", but only Kaladin as "Child of Tanavast". Is there significance to that?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, there is.

Stuttgart signing (May 17, 2019)

3 hours ago, thejopen27 said:

I’ve been trying not to read preview chapters

oh whoops sorry

I was originally doing that but I've become a bit obsessed and crazed. I only discovered the books this month yet read each of them at least 5 times through. I needed something else lol. 

is Lys the assassin one of the Heralds? Is she Chana? Vedel ?

Who is lys ? 

Omg, liss the killer/spy jasnah hires. Of course. That would make sense. Lots of it. 

Hmmm I wonder y jasnah didn't hire her to protect herself from the ghostbloods.  

So wait 5 of the heralds were at Kholinar palace when szeth assassinated gavilar. damnation. 

My spheres is on paliah , but wait if she is indeed an herald , does jasnah know now ? 

Like I guess hoid gave her a drawing of more than just taln and ash ? So does jasnah know her true identity now ?

Did kids know about szeth being a truthless with jezriens honorblade ? Probably not I guess. Szeth wouldn't have revealed that unless asked and she's not omniscient. 

Wow , I had never considered.... wow

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

On 6/29/2020 at 6:26 PM, Karger said:

Will Dalinar's book get good reviews?  (Actually can we get a whole interlude that is just a fashionable group of Lighteyes somewhere repeating comments found on OB's goodreads page?)

This is a beautiful idea and now I need it in my life.

My minor question is what happened to Hoid’s flute he gave Kaladin? And will it be important? 

On 6/29/2020 at 6:19 PM, thejopen27 said:

What happened to Redin after he killed his father? What does Brandon have planned for him?

These are questions I also have. Knowing Tarah is in Urithiru, I wonder if she will show up more. 

Will we learn more about Shallan’s brothers? And what will her relationship with them be like?

Lirin might not want to leave Hearthstone, but would he let Kaladin take Hesina and Oroden to Urithiru? 

18 hours ago, PrinceGenocide said:

Who is lys ? 

Omg, liss the killer/spy jasnah hires. Of course. That would make sense. Lots of it. 

Hmmm I wonder y jasnah didn't hire her to protect herself from the ghostbloods.  

So wait 5 of the heralds were at Kholinar palace when szeth assassinated gavilar. damnation. 

My spheres is on paliah , but wait if she is indeed an herald , does jasnah know now ? 

Like I guess hoid gave her a drawing of more than just taln and ash ? So does jasnah know her true identity now ?

Did kids know about szeth being a truthless with jezriens honorblade ? Probably not I guess. Szeth wouldn't have revealed that unless asked and she's not omniscient. 

Wow , I had never considered.... wow

Lys is assumed to be Chana actually

13 hours ago, Philomath said:

My minor question is what happened to Hoid’s flute he gave Kaladin? And will it be important? 

Pretty sure Lift has it? It was mentioned in a recent Stormlight reading. 

Questioner

On the reading–just yes or no–is the flute that Lift has related to Hoid's flute?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. I wouldn't mention the flute without it being relevant.

LTUE 2020 (Feb. 15, 2020)

13 hours ago, Philomath said:

Will we learn more about Shallan’s brothers? And what will her relationship with them be like?

I hope so. I want to see what their relationship is with Kaladin. And i'm hoping that they will help Shallan with her ghostbloods work.

12 minutes ago, PrinceGenocide said:

But maybe they are wrong. Thier isn't much definitive proof . Liss could be any one of the 3 unknown female heralds. I'm putting my spheres on paliah

Pailiah is suspected to be in the Palaneum currently. Chana seems more suited to what Liss is doing. She's a warrior Herald, judging by her iconography and as the Dustbringer patron Herald with the Divine Attribute of Loyalty, it would make sense for her to become an assassin, twisted like the other Heralds 

1 hour ago, R J said:

Pailiah is suspected to be in the Palaneum currently. Chana seems more suited to what Liss is doing. She's a warrior Herald, judging by her iconography and as the Dustbringer patron Herald with the Divine Attribute of Loyalty, it would make sense for her to become an assassin, twisted like the other Heralds 

Learned and giving are pali's attributes. Brute and greedy (for money, for blood ) would be diagonally opposed. Same as how shash is destructive instead of creative today 

On 30 June 2020 at 7:09 AM, Harrycrapper said:

Actually, what we know is he will have the flashbacks for that book. Brandon could pull another Eshonai and kill him before we get there.

Taln was _the_ main character of proto-WoK, though, so it is more likely that he'll be one of the mains in the second half, IMHO.

1 hour ago, PrinceGenocide said:

. Liss could be any one of the 3 unknown female heralds. I'm putting my spheres on paliah

There is a WoB that Vedel hadn't been seen on the page so far, though. My money is on Battar, because I am under impression that Pailiah appears older and possibly also has a "Shin" look. I don't remember why I think this, though. Maybe some WoBs? And I don't think that Liss is Chana because Chana's association with distance running and the military leads me to expect a more athletic woman. Concerning Dova, T. lied about her warning him about the imminent Desolation - it had been Gavilar on the night of his death. She may still be a Herald, of course, but if so, I'd tip on Vedel (nice reversal of her attributes) or Pailiah.

P.S. My not-so-minor question is where are the Listener children? IIRC there were 30K Listeners before the battle of Narak, yet not a single child appeared in Eshonai's PoV.  

Corollary to that - how long did Listeners live and how quickly did they reach adulthood?

Edited by Isilel

13 minutes ago, Isilel said:

Taln was _the_ main character of proto-WoK, though, so it is more likely that he'll be one of the mains in the second half, IMHO.

There is a WoB that Vedel hadn't been seen on the page so far, though. My money is on Battar, because I am under impression that Pailiah appears older and possibly also has a "Shin" look. I don't remember why I think this, though. Maybe some WoBs? And I don't think that Liss is Chana because Chana's association with distance running and the military leads me to expect a more athletic woman. Concerning Dova, T. lied about her warning him about the imminent Desolation - it had been Gavilar on the night of his death. She may still be a Herald, of course, but if so, I'd tip on Vedel (nice reversal of her attributes) or Pailiah.

P.S. My not-so-minor question is where are the Listener children? IIRC there were 30K Listeners before the battle of Narak, yet not a single child appeared in Eshonai's PoV.  

Corollary to that - how long did Listeners live and how quickly did they reach adulthood?

So you think Dova isn't Battar?

There's an unconfirmed (no attached photo or audio) WoB regarding Pailiah being in the Palaneum, iirc

49 minutes ago, R J said:

There's an unconfirmed (no attached photo or audio) WoB regarding Pailiah being in the Palaneum, iirc

And is described as an old Ardent that glows like the Heralds

Here is the WoB and extended WoB

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

The old ardent in the Palanaeum is Pailiah.

General Signed Books 2017 (April 10, 2017)

R'Shara

A long time ago, where you said that Pailiah was the elderly ardent in Kharbranth that Shallan saw, is that right?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes? If you say I said that, then I did.

Questioner 2

Does that mean it is still true?

Brandon Sanderson

Let's just say there is a Herald in close proximity to Taravangian.

R'Shara

It was in a signed book but we never got a picture of it.

Brandon Sanderson

There is a Herald in close proximity to Taravangian. I'm not being sneaky about that.

R'Shara

Is there more than one?

Brandon Sanderson

There have been in the past, but there is only one that you would call influencing him right now. But there have been others in the past.

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)

On 6/30/2020 at 1:06 AM, Illwei said:

That was a which one question. Kaladin got it at 3 but he didn't start as a squire.

I kind of think that he did, but that goes along with my theory that squires are squires to the spren, not the Radiant. He gets stormlight without saying the first Ideal when Syl is around. He even is able to use stormlight for a while after she leaves (see chapter 9 tWoK)

I want to know if the clear cremlings that Kaladin sees in the chasms are actually hordlings.