Obscure use of Stoneward surges.

In Dalinars midnight essence vision the female shardbearer tells him that if he calls out to her "[she] will hear him." The context definitely sounds like a surge since since she's about to charge into combat. She can be identified as a stoneward by her armor glow and I suspect this is an odd use of Physical Connection through the surge of cohesion. It fits very nicely to their theme of "I will be there when I am needed" to be able to hear cries for help.

No grand theory, just some fun dots I connected on a reread.

Edited by Elsecaller_17.5
Typo

One possibility is that she can sense/hear their sounds travelling through the ground. It would make sense to me if Tension and Cohesion gave some powers related to sensing compression waves propagating through a physical medium (sound through the stone).

31 minutes ago, R J said:

Or maybe I have it backwards?

Just as likely I do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: after a quick coppermind search Tension definitely makes more sense. I can see it working through P, C, or S Connection.

17 minutes ago, Artemos said:

One possibility is that she can sense/hear their sounds travelling through the ground. It would make sense to me if Tension and Cohesion gave some powers related to sensing compression waves propagating through a physical medium (sound through the stone).

That could be it, but I think it has to be a Connection specifically to Dalinar. If she just "heard" everything she'd need access to Fortune to process the information. 

Edited by Elsecaller_17.5

10 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

That could be it, but I think it has to be a Connection specifically to Dalinar. If she just "heard" everything she'd need access to Fortune to process the information. 

Maybe there's a slight bit of Connection to everyone around, but she can zero in on certain individuals or groups and go more in-depth. 

19 minutes ago, GoWibble said:

I've always read that as her spren was sticking around and it would hear and relay that to her. Maybe she was more connected to her spren and could 'hear' it from far away?

How can her spren sick around AND be used as a shardblade?

12 hours ago, Watchcry said:

How can her spren sick around AND be used as a shardblade?

Correction: I used to always read that that way. 

Maybe it has something to do with her Plate's spren. She does dismiss the helm, so maybe that spren is hanging around