Why did the Set send a Faceless Immortal?

Oltux72

That seems like a gigantic waste. In fact a bomb going of is a waste. If they wanted him dead a bomb with a timer or poison in his food would have done the job.

So they needed him to die together with the Faceless Immortal.

(Taldain)

Spoiler

Trell in White Sands predates the fusion of Ruin and Preservation. That makes me wonder whether that is the reason Endowment or Autonomy would strike at Scadrial.

That and the exact wording makes it likely that the aim of the operation was twofold, first to silence Edwarn and secondly to turn him into a Cognitive Shadow. Now which world would require a physical presence of an agent for that?

(Threnody)

Spoiler

That really makes me suspect that Trell is a splinter of Ambition and the Set's Faceless Immortals are Deep Ones.

Hmm... I mean I kind of want it to be Autonomy at this point after all this hype...

Oh are we still considering Endowment?

That's the Shard that let Nightblood be created. And it is "let", because:

RandyD

Can a Shard just smite someone? Like, "Boom, you're dead," and they die?

Brandon Sanderson

So, Shards can do this, depending on where they are. For instance, Odium can't, but Endowment could.

Skyward Seattle signing (Nov. 10, 2018)

And then there's her letter

You mustn't worry yourself about Rayse. It is a pity about Aona and Skai, but they were foolish--violating our pact from the very beginning. Your skills are admirable, but you are merely a man. You had your chance to be more, and refused it. No good can come of two Shards settling in one location. It was agreed that we would not interfere with one another, and it disappoints me that so few of the Shards have kept to this original agreement. As for Uli Da, it was obvious from the outset that she was going to be a problem. Good riddance. Regardless, this is not your concern. You turned your back on divinity. If Rayse becomes an issue, he will be dealt with.

And so will you

So she doesn't like two Shards on a single planet, and is willing to "deal" with anyone who becomes "an issue".

It would've been fun, but sadly:

Questioner

The spike at the end of Shadows of Self, does that have anything to do with Endowment.

Brandon Sanderson

That is not from Endowment, I can go ahead and let you know that.

Shadows of Self Portland signing (Oct. 10, 2015)

... unless it is two Shards attacking Scadrial & Harmony, that is

1 hour ago, R J said:

Hmm... I mean I kind of want it to be Autonomy at this point after all this hype...

You would need to explain why Autonomy interfered in classical Scadrial.

1 hour ago, R J said:

Oh are we still considering Endowment?

That's the Shard that let Nightblood be created. And it is "let", because:

And then there's her letter

So she doesn't like two Shards on a single planet, and is willing to "deal" with anyone who becomes "an issue".

She has a motive to prepare, but not to attack, while a splinter would be driven by a pure Intent.

12 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

You mean Trell? Who knows, but there's this:

mender

Was Scadrial visited by any other Shard before the events of Mistborn? If so, which one?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Several.

General Signed Books 2018 (March 8, 2018)

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

I don't think Autonomy needs a reason to interfere. The second letter in Oathbringer states that there are "many realms" of Autonomy, so I'd guess that it's probably more notable when she didn't interfere.

5 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

So they needed him to die together with the Faceless Immortal.

They said serve in another realm.  I agree they may have done something to him(like turning him into a CS) and that would require the type of stuff that you wound not give to an ordinary human agent.