Hello, World!

Protean

Hey everyone!

Recently discovered this forum, and though I've always been kind of reserved in online communities, I'm super excited to lurk and engage with this amazing community! Almost like some kind of amoebic gloople, gently reaching out and exploring new environments!

Currently on my fourth re-read of the Cosmere, first time through audiobook format, and thoroughly enjoying recently discovered lectures on YouTube. I've made all kinds of notes over the years of my crackpot theories and I'm definitely excited to see how they stack up to the community's crazy theories and wild, rampant speculations!

A bio nerd? Welcome, welcome

You could also join the 17th Shard Discord (if you're interested, of course)

Theories, you say? Don't forget to put the Shard's resources to use then. There's the Coppermind wiki, plus there's the Arcanum which contains questions & answers that fans have asked Brandon over the years regarding his works.

Ah sorry for the delay, in transition between my old computer and new one!

Hmm I don't see many people talking about it, but I think my favourite book is The Emperor's Soul. Warbreaker, Words of Radiance, Oathbringer, and Bands of Mourning are all amazing reads and are definitely my favourites most of the time, but having recently listened to The Emperor's Soul again and remembering my first time reading it, having such an emotional connection, it reminded me just how amazing it is.

And as for theories... yes! I've definitely got some about Lightweavers, Forgers, the uses of Fortune early on in the Cosmere by the Shards, in particular between Ati and Leras. I've also got all kinds of ideas with regards to Cultivation and Honour, and Aona and Skai, separately. Plus I'm *confident* there's something going on with Ambition behind the scenes; definitely its influence can be seen, as I'm sure all shards you could say can be. The shards that haven't been revealed yet, while I'm sure they're kept strongly guarded secrets, I'm also certain they've been hinted at a lot more than people might realize. I'm pouring through Words of Brandon right now so I'm sure I'm in for a wild ride and will learn much more going forward!

P.S. as for personal interests, I'll just say I'm most like the Purelake; an expansive, yet shallow lake; though as I learn more I'm sure my depth of knowledge will one day match its breadth :P (except music; though not the most practically applicable of skillsets in a cramped apartment xD)

Edited by Protean
adding details to my response!

Oh boy that's a tough one; I sincerely appreciate Gaotona and Shai's relationship and in particular Gaotona's is one I personally related to and felt the most emotionally invested, of nearly all the characters in the Cosmere. I think it's so hard to have a favourite singular character! It changes so often based on when I think about it. I'd have to say It's a tossup between Dalinar and Shallan right now. I really love Shallan's view of the world, her outlook, and philosophy, even if sometimes her viewpoint might feel a bit clunky to read. As for Dalinar he's got such an interesting arc and he's so sincere and wise, it's always a pleasure to read. That being said, Kaladin's always a blast to read, Lightstong is some of the most fun I've ever had reading a character, along with Wit, Lopen and company, and Wayne! I love MeLaan and their relationship with Wayne, Steris is a character of extremes with regards to how I connect with, and Zahel, ooohhh boy do I love him! Of course Wit and Azure... hmmm, who else... ah! Definitely Palona and Sebarial were some of the unexpected ones I really fell in love with! Ah, that brings me to Taravangian, whose character I am most invested with and cannot wait for more of him (please more Taravangian POV!)

Can you tell I get super excited talking about the cosmere? xD

Edited by Protean
more info