Can Spren Attract Other Spren?

DarthHoid

Question

Just rereading Words of Radiance. These may be obvious questions, but I couldn't find the answers. Maybe I will as I continue, though my curiosity is boiling.

What is it that attracts or creates spren? Can Spren compound off one another?

8 answers to this question

Yes, the honorspren mention that Cryptics are attracted to lies spoken by other sapient spren.

It is also mentioned that though emotion spren prefer human emotions & congregate in & around populated areas, they can also be attracted by spren emotions.

6 hours ago, R J said:

Yes, the honorspren mention that Cryptics are attracted to lies spoken by other sapient spren.

where? I don't remember that.

they can also be attracted by spren emotions

I was sure this is not the case but if you have a quote proving otherwise, I'd be grateful.

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

where? I don't remember that.

Actually wait, I don't think that was the Honorspren... maybe the Cultivationspren? Or the Reachers?

I do remember the quote though, hopefully accurate enough that someone with an e-book can do a word search.

"Speak one untrue word at a [gathering of some kind] and seven [gather or similar word] around you." I do remember that they used the number "seven". They also mention the Cryptics "humming" and iirc, the spren also hoped that they (the Cryptics) get better with a Bond.

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

I was sure this is not the case but if you have a quote proving otherwise, I'd be grateful.

This was from Ivory in the unpublished scene involving Jasnah (https://www.tor.com/2014/08/06/stormlight-archive-scene-after-words-of-radiance/). Ivory says that Painspren are dangerous on their side, and are called "Grinders".

So the main point against this is that Syl says that it is unfortunate that she can't attract other spren, but that might just be her personal experience. I kind of think that Radiant spren gain the ability to attract spren at the 4th Ideal, which aids in getting Plate

So I asked someone else & found the section, plus remembered another section & got them to search for it as well

The first part I mentioned in my previous post is said by Ivory too. Syl also makes some remarks in regards to Cryptics that seems to corroborate this.

Plus, after Kaladin, Azure, Shallan & Adolin escape Kholinar into the Shadesmar, they are chased by Angerspren drawn by Kaladin, who feels like they're abandoning Kholinar & the people the group had brought with them on their mission, but he's feeling that way to try to stave off his depression. If you use an e-book, search for the keyword "drool". Syl mentions directly that they are dangerous "even to spren". Pattern implies that humans are much more emotionally volatile than spren, which is why it's a much bigger problem for them when they're in Shadesmar. Sapient spren can attract lesser spren, they're just not very good at it.

Edited by R J

2 hours ago, R J said:

So I asked someone else & found the section, plus remembered another section & got them to search for it as well

The first part I mentioned in my previous post is said by Ivory too. Syl also makes some remarks in regards to Cryptics that seems to corroborate this.

Plus, after Kaladin, Azure, Shallan & Adolin escape Kholinar into the Shadesmar, they are chased by Angerspren drawn by Kaladin, who feels like they're abandoning Kholinar & the people the group had brought with them on their mission, but he's feeling that way to try to stave off his depression. If you use an e-book, search for the keyword "drool". Syl mentions directly that they are dangerous "even to spren". Pattern implies that humans are much more emotionally volatile than spren, which is why it's a much bigger problem for them when they're in Shadesmar. Sapient spren can attract lesser spren, they're just not very good at it.

On the first one, that doesn't necessarily imply the Cryptics are drawn the same way as angerspren to anger - it could just be that Cryptics are interested in lies and so consciously gravitate toward them. (I'm trying to communicate the difference between the actions of a sentient spren and the responses of non-sentient spren). 

The second doesn't imply that the spren draw the angerspren or painspren - only that when humans draw them, the Cognitive side in that area is therefore dangerous. Spren don't draw the angerspren, but they do have to avoid them to remain unharmed.

23 hours ago, R J said:

This was from Ivory in the unpublished scene involving Jasnah (https://www.tor.com/2014/08/06/stormlight-archive-scene-after-words-of-radiance/). Ivory says that Painspren are dangerous on their side, and are called "Grinders".

Storms, I had not read this excerpt. So, I guess that Yalb and co. really did escape.

16 minutes ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

Storms, I had not read this excerpt. So, I guess that Yalb and co. really did escape.

I would guess so. During the Battle of Thaylen City, Szeth confirms that Shallan's illusions of people feel the same as the screams he hears, (which are apparently impressions of people's Spiritwebs) and Pattern confirms that she was Connected to those people. Iirc, both instances can be found in the chapter The Spear That Would Not Break