Adonalsiums Intents

Based on the Stormlight Wiki, we currently know of 10 Shards. (Devotion, Dominion, Harmony (Preservation, Ruin), Odium, Cultivation, Honor, Endowment, Autonomy, and Ambition) 

When looking at this list, it strikes me how cruel the shards could be. The only ones that I feel like have an inkling of love or kindness could be Endowment which I feel is a paternal/maternal sort of compassion in my head. Cultivation could fall under that as well, but what we learn from Odium (as much as we can trust him) is that she just wants progression, she doesn't care what direction, good or bad. Devotion could also fall under a moral understanding of "good" or "loving" but again we don't know a large amount about how that shard interacts.

I just want to get some thoughts from all of you since this has been sitting on my mind for some time. Some shots that I have been dwelling on include:

Caution: I always thought that the "Shard that only wants to hide and survive" was fear or panic, but based on what we understand of Fortune, I doubt that plain fear or anticipation of the future or unknown would be uncommon for a shard. This is also dissuaded when Harmony shares the thought that he also doesn't know where the new Hemalurgic spike came from. If a duo-shard can feel feelings about the unknown, I am unsure if that could make up an entire shard.

Compassion/Attachment: I feel like this would be the Shard of Love for lack of a better term. It would be the thing that motivates the shard to do good for its creations beyond just the desire to watch things grow and be destroyed. Again, no basis for this one just the fact I feel like it should/I want it to exist.

Agony/Guilt/Regret: Recently (I don't remember where so if you do, please let me know or cite it) I was reading a thread that talked about a reddit interchange about Agony. Brandon reserved the right to give RAFO but the theory should be shared. I feel like this is a feeling our characters deal with A LOT in the books and it would be interesting to see how a shard like this reacted. Would it be stopped from doing anything since it is scared that it would make a mistake, is it pushing forward trying to make things better due to failures, or is it just dark and depressing since it feels bad since it doesn't have an underlying optimism.

Hope/Optimisim: This is where the tie starts to get strenuous. If we go back to Caution, Hope is also something that would need to be reconsidered since Fortune plays a big hand in knowing vs. hoping. This would be the deific balance for the Agony/Guilt/Regret.

I know people have thought about this and instead of just throwing words out I would love to hear thoughts for the last two, modifications to the ones posted, or just general corrections for things I have overlooked. 

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

"Puck (paraphrased)

Does Aona equal Love or Compassion?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

You have it, it's just a synonym there. You basically have it

Puck (paraphrased)

Does Skai equal Devotion or Order?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

You're not on there. But you are on on the first one [Aona]."

Some cool ideas, though Devotion is already the shard of love according to this WoB. 

Gasp! Using Stormlight Wiki and not the Coppermind!? 

On 6/26/2020 at 8:14 AM, Gears said:

Here's the "Agony" one.

Mmmm I wouldn't say that's confirmed precisely, yet. Something like it though. 

There's also a casual mention of Ingenuity a few times. 

Hope is an interesting Shard. Wouldn't that be funny if Kelsier got that...

I agree Compassion is a bit too close to Devotion currently. Caution is very interesting. There's definitely discussion on whether Wisdom is a Shard, too. Could be related perhaps.

On 7/7/2020 at 4:37 PM, Chaos said:

Gasp! Using Stormlight Wiki and not the Coppermind!? 

I agree Compassion is a bit too close to Devotion currently. Caution is very interesting. There's definitely discussion on whether Wisdom is a Shard, too. Could be related perhaps.

I wonder how Hope acts on its own. Would it work well with Kelsier or would it be countering what he is doing. He is full of hope, but I don't know if it is for hope's sake or just revenge. would it make a difference?

On 7/7/2020 at 6:37 PM, Chaos said:

A lot of these seem to fill the role of the Shard "that just wants to survive". Hope would probably be targeted by Rayse or Ambition, since they seem likely to make rule unstable. Ingenuity and Wisdom fill similar roles and maybe would be too smart to get involved in the conflicts between Shards? Caution would basically have this as their Intent.

On 26/06/2020 at 5:01 PM, Yolenlightweaver said:

Hope/Optimisim: This is where the tie starts to get strenuous. If we go back to Caution, Hope is also something that would need to be reconsidered since Fortune plays a big hand in knowing vs. hoping. This would be the deific balance for the Agony/Guilt/Regret.

This is extremely interesting and I would actually love to see some kind of twist to it. I would love to see, for example, Hope being used in a similar light as that Nietzsche quote regarding Pandora's box:

"Zeus did not want man to throw his life away, no matter how much the other evils might torment him, but rather to go on letting himself be tormented anew. To that end, he gives man hope. In truth, it is the most evil of evils because it prolongs man's torment."

24 minutes ago, Dalinar'sCroissant said:

This is extremely interesting and I would actually love to see some kind of twist to it. I would love to see, for example, Hope being used in a similar light as that Nietzsche quote regarding Pandora's box:

"Zeus did not want man to throw his life away, no matter how much the other evils might torment him, but rather to go on letting himself be tormented anew. To that end, he gives man hope. In truth, it is the most evil of evils because it prolongs man's torment."

I love that quote! It will be interesting to see what other shards will become so driven by their intent and become another 'villian' after something happens to Odium. I saw someone pitch a theory on another thread that Cultivation will become the 'villian' later after being driven soley by her ideal. For example, Ati was a good guy who was bringing about Ruin at all costs.