Bondmsith Shardplate

SanderFan69

Oathbringer Glasgow signing (Dec. 2, 2017)
#2 Share  Copy

Play/Pause

Hoidonalsium

In that one long rejection of Odium, how many Oaths did Dalinar swear before merging the Realms? And is "I am Unity" the fifth.

Brandon Sanderson

No, that is not an Oath. He swore one ideal in that experience.

Hoidonalsium

Okay. How many Oaths is he on?

Brandon Sanderson

The number you think. So, he should have just finished three, right? Or maybe four. I'll have to go look. It's the number that you think it is. I'm not being sneaky on you. There's nothing sneaky there. He doesn't get armor, so I can't remember where he is... He should be at three. "Life before death." "I will unite instead of divide." "I will stand up each time I fall." Yeah, so he's done three.

I just saw this WoB in the 5th ideal discussion. I thought Dalinar manifested proto-shardplate in his vision with Venli. Am I reading this WoB wrong or is Dalinar actually not going to get plate?

Edited by SanderFan69

The implication is that he and any other bondsmiths will not get Plate, consistent with the fact that they have never gotten Blades (I originally thought that was a new restriction this post-Recreance).  

Questioner

And there's one last question if I may: I'm really into swords and such. I couldn't help but notice king Elhokar's Blade. It's just... All the others are ornamented, and they may have some glyphs, but it is the only one where it is explicitly it is told that there are ten fundamental glyphs on it which are the glyphs of the orders. I read some of the chapters from Dalinar from Unfettered II, and I know how he got it for Elhokar. Is there also some more backstory to this Blade?

Brandon Sanderson

There's a backstory to every Blade and every one of them is special, that's the problem. But I will be exploring the origins of some of the Blades. Eventually. Not a ton, but a little bit.

Questioner

As it is ornamented in such a way... Could it be related to a Bondsmith?

Brandon Sanderson

Bondsmiths didn't have Blades.

Questioner

All of them? It's just... Maybe it was just the Stormfather...

Brandon Sanderson

No. That's a really good guess. Really good guess. I'm gonna RAFO Bondsmiths because you gonna learn a lot about them in the next book because it's the Bondsmith's book. That's a really good theory, but it's not true. 

Questioner

But maybe there is at least something to it.

Brandon Sanderson

But there's a reason to it, why it has all the 10 orders.

Leipzig Book Fair (March 24, 2017)

12 hours ago, Quantus said:

Questioner

But maybe there is at least something to it.

Brandon Sanderson

But there's a reason to it, why it has all the 10 orders.

I've always thought that somehow, Sunraiser was some sort of "prototype Honorblade" or replica, and with the right Intent, it could give someone basic use of the 10 surges... but nobody would expect it to do that, so it just doesn't.

On 6/25/2020 at 11:33 AM, SanderFan69 said:

Oathbringer Glasgow signing (Dec. 2, 2017)
#2 Share  Copy

Play/Pause

Hoidonalsium

In that one long rejection of Odium, how many Oaths did Dalinar swear before merging the Realms? And is "I am Unity" the fifth.

Brandon Sanderson

No, that is not an Oath. He swore one ideal in that experience.

Hoidonalsium

Okay. How many Oaths is he on?

Brandon Sanderson

The number you think. So, he should have just finished three, right? Or maybe four. I'll have to go look. It's the number that you think it is. I'm not being sneaky on you. There's nothing sneaky there. He doesn't get armor, so I can't remember where he is... He should be at three. "Life before death." "I will unite instead of divide." "I will stand up each time I fall." Yeah, so he's done three.

I just saw this WoB in the 5th ideal discussion. I thought Dalinar manifested proto-shardplate in his vision with Venli. Am I reading this WoB wrong or is Dalinar actually not going to get plate?

I always interpreted that part of Brandon's answer to mean he hasn't gotten plate yet, so he must be third (as opposed to being a level high enough to have it), but "he doesn't get plate (at any level), so it's harder to keep track of where he is" is an interpretation that seems even more valid than the way I did, so glad you posted this!

Dalinar not getting armor ever seems to contradict the clear indication of the text though. Dalinar experiences the same thing that Jasina, Kaladin, and Shallan seem to. The cousin spren (glory spren in his case) spinning around him in great numbers. He does not has a shard blade, but the Storm Father is not against him wielding an Honor Blade. In fact, he kinda encourages Dalinar to keep the Honor Blade. So I would think Brandon's words mean, he hasn't gotten plate yet. The Bond Smiths are much like Queens in chess, far too valuable to not have them well protected. 

Looking at the wording of this WoB:

Questioner

In Words of Radiance, there's a fragment that says that the Bondsmiths have a power that none of the other Orders have.

Brandon Sanderson

That will be answered in a future book... *discussion on RAFOs* Basically, each of the Orders actually had their own quirks and individual things. Some of them were more dramatic than others. But if you watch through, you'll be seeing that they kind of have some different effects that aren't related necessarily to the Surges.

Questioner

So, then follow-up question, the reason that the Bondsmiths don't get Shards is because they have that extra power?

Brandon Sanderson

The reason is because the Stormfather is particularly-- how he is. And he's more cantankerous than he was, even in the past...

Each of the Orders, I wanted to have a lot of individuality. I didn't want them to all just be different copy-clones. You'll also find that they also have very different philosophies on even things like honor and what is good and things like that.

Firefight Miami signing (Jan. 8, 2015)

Hmm... it might be possible