New Shard

Mr.stormblessed

Question

In the coppermind, I found this:

Some men, as they age, grow wiser. I am not one of those, for wisdom and I have always been at cross-purposes, and I have yet to learn the tongue in which she speaks. 

Hoid implying the existence of another Shard

Any ideas on what this shard is or it's Intent could be?
                                 (kind of the same thing)
Edited by Mr.stormblessed

2 answers to this question

Yep.

Paleo

All right, regarding the 'Wisdom Shard' again. We have one quote where Hoid... I'll just cite it: "Some men, as they age, grow wiser. I am not one of those, for wisdom and I have always been at cross-purposes." Is he referring to that Shard there... or the Vessel?

Brandon Sanderson

*thumbs up, grins* ... Yes.

Prague Signing (Oct. 26, 2019)

We have a thread were we discuss this somewhere.  I will edit my post if/when I find it.  I personally think Prudence is a good one.

EDIT

Edited by Karger

There is a Shard that is aware of Odium Splintering other Shards as well as the potential of inter-Shardic conflict and they just want to hide & survive.

People have wondered if the survival Shard & wisdom Shard are the same:

Paleo

In May, in Germany, you told me that... or I asked whether Wisdom was a Shard, and you said it was or something like it, and that wisdom was close to an intent of a Shard, and you also told me that it has realized that survival isn't necessarily the most important thing for it. I wanted to ask whether it has realized that over time or was it from the get go?

Brandon Sanderson

Over time.

Paleo

Okay, so then naturally, my next question: Is it the survival Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

Paleo

And then somebody actually came up with another good probable name. Is Prudence close?

Brandon Sanderson

Prudence sounds an awful lot like a Shard name. That's some excellent theorizing there.

Prague Signing (Oct. 26, 2019)

Paleo (paraphrased)

Is Wisdom a Shard? If so, how bad does it want to survive?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There is a Shard with a similar intent. The Shard has realized that survival might not be the most desirable/important.

Footnote: Paleo later asked Brandon for clarification on this one because he couldn't quite remember the survival part when he wrote it down. Brandon stressed again what the Shard has realized.
Stuttgart signing (May 17, 2019)

People have also assumed that the survival Shard is the one Shard that Brandon said is not on a planet (Ambition & Autonomy are also somewhat not on a planet)

Edited by R J
edited for clarity