What are the differences between the prose version and the comic version of White Sand?

JPGU

The prose version is, simply put, much better. The story flows better, the character motivation, personality depth, interaction & development are smoother. The events can be a bit haphazard in the graphic novel, especially vol 1. The prose version is also, of course much more detailed regarding both the characters & world-building (there's a lot of interesting things about Taldain you'll miss if you only read the GNs!). Things gets better in vol 2, and I actually like vol 3 better than its corresponding part within the prose. But that's still only 1/3. I'd recommend reading the prose version and getting vol 3 of the graphic novel (the ending is better, and there's quite an interesting additional scene).

Edited by R J

To add on to what @R J said,

from the prose to the Graphic novel there were a few minor changes...

-the scene of Khrissallas arrival to dayside was cut in the GN

-a main character gets gender-swapped(male to female)

-A (minor?) character lives instead of dying

-name of one of the main cultures was slightly revised("kershtian" to "kerztian"

-in the Prose, we get a lot of other Charaters PoV's and internal monologue(like Khriss)

-lots and lots of typos in the Prose

Edited by Eternal Khol

If you've finished it:

Spoiler

Kenton kills Drile in the prose, while in the GN, he spares him.

Kenton goes to Darkside with Khriss in the prose, while in the GN, he sends Dirin.

The GN ends with a reveal that Baon is a powerful sand master, while the prose does not.

In the prose, Delius had been buying all of the Zaidon, raising the prices, and threatens the Helm by saying he will sell his stockpile at very low prices, destroying their trade in that area. In the GN, he threatens them with a blockade.

In the prose, Gevin claimed that he had been making fun of Khriss with the others, while in the GN, he just seems to not care about her very much.

The GN has far less Khriss, Aarik, and Ais PoVs than the prose.

Ais is a man in the prose, and there is extreme gender stratification, while she is a woman in the GN, and there isn't the same gender stratification, although the Diem still seems to be made up entirely of men.

A few names, like Eric/Aarik are spelled differently.

In the GN, there is a blatant Hoid appearance, faces in the clouds watching the characters, and a picture showing that Elorin really did meet the Sand Lord.

The GN has many accidental things included in it, such as a boom box, ceiling fan, and IV.

In the GN, slatrification is only really mentioned at the beginning, and doesn't even play a part in the duel at the end. Brandon has indicated that he regrets including slatrification at all, so it seems to have been retconned.

Edited by ChickenLiberty

8 hours ago, ChickenLiberty said:

In the GN, slatrification is only really mentioned at the beginning, and doesn't even play a part in the duel at the end. Brandon has indicated that he regrets including slatrification at all, so it seems to have been retconned.

What? No, of course Slatrification is real... 

@JPGU Did you write that message in the same font as the White Sand Prose? Because that is what I remember it looking like...

Edited by GoWibble

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been reading the prose version and really liking it. I am not that fond of graphic novels in general, and was wondering if I can listen to the episodes on White Sand (they have one on each volume) of the Sandersonian Institute of Cosmere Studies, and how much I’d be missing if I only read the prose version. 

There are various small story changes from the prose the the graphic novel version, mostly in the end though. There are also changes to various nouns unique to Taldain from the prose to graphic novel. The dialogue in the graphic novel version seems to be simplified/truncated in several areas. 

There is a third option that seems to be the least perused because it's the most expensive, the Graphic Audio version. It has the story and noun changes of the graphic novel, but also has expanded dialogue, character thoughts, and world building that is in the prose version. It is a bit more expensive than buying the digital graphic novels, about the same as the physical ones, and infinity more expensive than the technically free prose version(at least I'm assuming that's still be given out if you ask). If you're a diehard cosmere fan and like audiobooks, it's the best version of the story in my opinion. But, if you don't check both of those boxes, I'm not sure it's for you. 

• 2 years later...

So I don't want to start another thread on this, therefore I'll just post here. I recently saw that Graphic Audio adapted White Sand (adapted from the prose modified by Sanderson's team, from which the graphic novels were also adapted) - this got me excited because I love Graphic Audio, if surprised that I didn't hear about it sooner. I'm not sure which is canon, though there are minor changes - slatrification now definitely does not exist, as Brandon said it wouldn't, and Delius was buying zaidon after all. I noticed two other things: 

Aarik's POV mentions his Autonomy. I'm pretty sure it's a capital A Autonomy. I think him being influenced by her is a popular theory, but now it's even more suggested. I really want that sequel now.

No pining after Kenton from Khriss, and vice versa; Kenton wants to visit the Darkside to reconnect with his mother's heritage, not for her. I guess that means this ship has sunk. Too bad, it's one of my Cosmere favorites, they had great chemistry (the lack of Khriss's insecurity is a fix though) and I had this whole tragic lovers-separated-by-god story in my head.