The Deadspot

Invocation

34 minutes ago, Invocation said:

There is, in the back of your mind, a strong sense displeasure at the notion of burying the statue again.

It does not particularly feel like it came from inside of you.

Dr. Gears stepped away from the deadspot as the strange and external feeling of displeasure washed over him. "Something, be it the statue or something else, seems to both feel displeasure at covering the statue and is able to project emotions. I think we should either remove the statue from the area or evacuate the area."

@Rushu42 @mathiau

Aln shivered as a tingling spread over her, and instinctively stepped away from the patch of dead plants. It did indeed appear to be spreading quicker than before, although it was thankfully still quite slow. At Dr. Gears' comment, she frowned. A psychic projection in conjuncture with energy-draining abilities? That didn't correspond to any system of Investiture that she knew of, unless it was a unique Aonic construction or something along those lines. Could the statue be sentient? It wasn't unheard of, but still very rare. It's possible that the mental projection was a defense mechanism built into the thing. The way it had absorbed her Progression, though...

''There's a possibility that this statue has some semblance of life,'' she told the others. "I attempted to use Progression on it earlier, and it seemed to seal several cracks. We should treat this situation with the utmost caution.''

Aln considered her options. Her hand absent-mindedly slipped toward an inner pocket to fiddle with ... something that wasn't there. She removed her hand with an odd sense of disorientation, and refocused on the problem. She could hardly leave an anomaly like this in a public park, of course, but it could be quite dangerous to bring it to the Guild without knowing its function. She suddenly remembered that she had left Ben there, and that unconscious guard. It's been a busy night, hasn't it? So much for a relaxing holiday.

''We should remove it to the Guild," she decided. "We'll need aluminum to contain it. I have some already, but not enough for an item of this size." She opened up her satchel and counted out spheres until her money pouch lay depressingly flat. Then she handed the money to Dr. Gears, meeting his eyes. "I need you to purchase as much aluminum as you can with this, and quickly. Preferably in large, pliable sheets, but we can improvise.''

It was risky, giving that much money to a new member of the Guild. She hardly knew anything about the man. Whether or not he turned thief, though, she'd soon know more. 

@Gears @mathiau

On 7/26/2020 at 3:13 PM, Gears said:

Dr. Gears walked back to the deadspot, holding several sheets of aluminium. "I have acquired five square meters of aluminium," he said, depositing the sheets on the ground. 

@Rushu42 @mathiau

¨Dr. Gears is back¨

Aln looked up from the book she had begun to leaf through (which unfortunately contained no mention of any life-draining statue). Sure enough, the man had returned, now bearing several sheets of the requested metal. Thanks Pel, she sent to her spren, and tucked the book into a pocket.

''Thank you,'' she said to Dr. Gears. ''You were impressively prompt. If we wrap the aluminum around the statue, it should hopefully contain its effects until we're in a better position to study it. What do you think?''

@Gears @mathiau

15 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

''Thank you,'' she said to Dr. Gears. ''You were impressively prompt. If we wrap the aluminum around the statue, it should hopefully contain its effects until we're in a better position to study it. What do you think?''

"I agree," Dr. Gears said as he began wrapping the statue. 

@mathiau

2 hours ago, Gears said:

"I agree," Dr. Gears said as he began wrapping the statue. 

@mathiau

Aln stepped down to assist him. Luckily, the metal was fairly pliable, and there was plenty of it. It did not take long for the terracotta form to be completely covered. Once it seemed to be contained, Aln stepped back to observe the effects that the aluminum had had. If the deadspot stopped spreading, or even returned to life, it would confirm the theory that the statue was indeed the origin of the draining. 

I'm assuming that nothing happens to prevent us from wrapping the statue. If this is not the case, you can interrupt my post after the first sentence or two.

@Invocation @Gears @mathiau

On 7/27/2020 at 9:21 PM, Rushu42 said:

Aln stepped down to assist him. Luckily, the metal was fairly pliable, and there was plenty of it. It did not take long for the terracotta form to be completely covered. Once it seemed to be contained, Aln stepped back to observe the effects that the aluminum had had. If the deadspot stopped spreading, or even returned to life, it would confirm the theory that the statue was indeed the origin of the draining. 

Sure enough, the drain on both you and the plants stops once the aluminum is fully in place. 

5 hours ago, Invocation said:

Sure enough, the drain on both you and the plants stops once the aluminum is fully in place. 

Aln relaxed as the odd tingling faded. She rubbed her forehead, feeling suddenly tired. Had a restful festival really been too much to ask? Trent would likely lecture her about this later; he insisted that she worked too much, and had made her promise to take the evening off. When she stared at the aluminum bundle before her, though, her exhaustion was replaced by excited interest. For a discovery like this one, Trent would surely forgive her a single night of missed sleep.

She stepped forward and grunted as she lifted one end of the statue. "Care to help me carry this?" she called to the other two scholars.

@Gears @mathiau

Edited by Rushu42
Issues with tagging

9 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

She stepped forward and grunted as she lifted one end of the statue. "Care to help me carry this?" she called to the other two scholars.

Dr. Gears walked over and lifted the other end of the statue. "To the Scholar's Guild?" he asked. 

@mathiau

36 minutes ago, Gears said:

Dr. Gears walked over and lifted the other end of the statue. "To the Scholar's Guild?" he asked. 

"That's the plan," she replied, maneuvering the statue out of the hole. No doubt they attracted quite a few stares as they began to carefully transport the aluminum shape through the crowded festival streets.

@mathiau

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Kings_way said:

He made his way over to the metal carriers. May I help you? he asked telepathically.

We actually moved to the Scholar's Guild thread a while back, so the characters are no longer carrying the statue. Sorry.