The Deadspot

Invocation

9 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

"A modified spren, maybe," Aln replied, "But spren are created from human perception and personification. Many on Roshar hold beliefs that some spren cause their associated pheomena - such as rotspren causing infection, for example - but it seems far more consistent if all lesser spren are simply attracted to whichever concept they are identified with. I believe I wrote a paper on it at some point. If that theory holds true, then a spren could not have created this, though one could theoretically be formed around the concept of a deadspot. But we can debate the nature of spren another time; I've found a bump."

She motioned to the small mound of dirt, clearing away some of the surrounding dead plant matter. From a pocket, she extracted a tiny knife - the kind one might use to sharpen a pencil, and began to carefully scrape at the earth.

This theory is actually contradicted by the existence of fabrials, I don't know if fires are hotter on Roshar, but you can use firesprens to create heat. Also I don't know if windspren and deathsprens would count as lesser sprens but the former are known to stick things to the ground -not very wind like- and Syl fighted the seconds when Kal was half dead so at least she think they're dangerous.

There is also the hypothesis that giving enough investiture to a lesser spren could make it a higher spren, that's what Folorian meant by "improving a deathspren"

Folorian walked up to Aln

"Do you need help?"

On 6/27/2020 at 7:22 PM, Rushu42 said:

She motioned to the small mound of dirt, clearing away some of the surrounding dead plant matter. From a pocket, she extracted a tiny knife - the kind one might use to sharpen a pencil, and began to carefully scrape at the earth.

Slowly, oh so slowly, the scraping reveals a set of terracotta fingers, curled over as if they were holding something.

On 6/28/2020 at 6:21 AM, mathiau said:

This theory is actually contradicted by the existence of fabrials, I don't know if fires are hotter on Roshar, but you can use firesprens to create heat. Also I don't know if windspren and deathsprens would count as lesser sprens but the former are known to stick things to the ground -not very wind like- and Syl fighted the seconds when Kal was half dead so at least she think they're dangerous.

There is also the hypothesis that giving enough investiture to a lesser spren could make it a higher spren, that's what Folorian meant by "improving a deathspren"

That's a good point that I hadn't considered. It still seems odd to me that some spren are associated with prexisting natural phenonema while some appear to cause it. Maybe the fabrials utilize the Investiture of the spren and the spren's Connection to the phenomena rather than any actual attributes of the spren itself. That still doesn't explain Syl fighting the deathspren, though.

Aln, focused on digging, couldn't hear Folorian's question and so gave no response. She sucked in a breath as the fingers came into view. 

"Come look at this. It looks like part of a statue of some sort. Does anyone have a shovel?"

As she said this, she bent closer to the hand, trying to see wha, if anything, it was clutching.

@Invocation @mathiau @Gears

It still seems odd to me that some spren are associated with prexisting natural phenonema while some appear to cause it.

I think you've just fallen prey to the cannot cause/always cause false dichotomy, it's you don't need deathsprens to die but deathsprens can kill, if very rarely :) (it's very likely lesser spren barely ever cause things like fire or rot when not forced because they see no reason to do so)

Folorian focused on what Aln was digging up, revealing stone fingers cluthing on nothing, this kind of statues had always seemed weird to him, they looked as if a piece was missing.

"I don't have a shovel on me but I can go fetch some at the Guild"

@Rushu42@Gears

Edited by mathiau

15 hours ago, mathiau said:

It still seems odd to me that some spren are associated with prexisting natural phenonema while some appear to cause it.

It's probably connected to the nature of the Spiritual Realm. All times and places are one, pretty much, so Syl can hear Kaladin calling for her in the future and the bond that brings Kal himself closer to the Spiritual Realm also allows him to gain some of his spear skills early. Some spren appear to cause the issue because they come after having "heard" that something was going to happen and manifesting right as the correct condition develops, but other times showing up where it already was.

At least that's how I've always thought about it.

Edited by Invocation

15 hours ago, Invocation said:

It's probably connected to the nature of the Spiritual Realm. All times and places are one, pretty much, so Syl can hear Kaladin calling for her in the future and the bond that brings Kal himself closer to the Spiritual Realm also allows him to gain some of his spear skills early. Some spren appear to cause the issue because they come after having "heard" that something was going to happen and manifesting right as the correct condition develops, but other times showing up where it already was.

At least that's how I've always thought about it.

Ooh, an interesting take. But then why would the Deathspren need to be fought off?

On 6/30/2020 at 5:31 AM, mathiau said:

Folorian focused on what Aln was digging up, revealing stone fingers cluthing on nothing, this kind of statues had always seemed weird to him, they looked as if a piece was missing.

"I don't have a shovel on me but I can go fetch some at the Guild"

@Rushu42@Gears

"That might be a good idea," Aln responded, continuing to dig around the fist with her knife. "Who knows how big this statue could be?"

@Gears @Invocation @mathiau

4 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Ooh, an interesting take. But then why would the Deathspren need to be fought off?

On 6/30/2020 at 4:31 AM, mathiau said:

Psychological benefit on behalf of the other person, plus the deathspren likely do some feeding on the natural Investiture that makes up a soul (and rotspren may feed on some form of vitality) which would probably help hasten the death of the person, but if you can keep them away...you may just give them enough time to recover beyond the slipping point that deathspren take advantage of to feed.

Nuemark Bordeux walked slowly into the alley. Yes, this is what he had been searching for. He glanced over at the prostrate scientists and archeologists.

"ello, all" he said, his voice, a clear baritone, had a strong Scadrian Roughs accent, almost contradictory to his fine appearance. I should work harder on hiding that, it's gotta be bad for the image. I can't afford going about sounding right uneducated now. Thought Nuemark, walking closer and peering down at what the workers were doing.

"Would the dishonesty in doing so be wrong or unlawful?" Said Annette in his head.

Perhaps, but there I don't think the Ghostbloods have any law against it. Thought Nuemark, nodding to each member of the group in turn.

Edited by Elend Venture

1 hour ago, Elend Venture said:

Nuemark Bordeux walked slowly into the alley. Yes, this is what he had been searching for. He glanced over at the prostrate scientists and archeologists.

"ello, all" he said, his voice, a clear baritone, had a strong Scadrian Roughs accent, almost contradictory to his fine appearance. I should work harder on hiding that, it's gotta be bad for the image. I can't afford going about sounding right uneducated now. Thought Nuemark, walking closer and peering down at what the workers were doing.

"Would the dishonesty in doing so be wrong or unlawful?" Said Annette in his head.

Perhaps, but there is no law amongst the Ghostbloods forbidding it. It wouldn't hurt anyone. It would be worth it. Thought Nuemark, nodding to each member of the group in turn.

"Greetings," Dr. Gears said. "What is your purpose in being here?"

"A few alleys back I was asking an urchin about the death of an old friend that had happened in these parts a bit ago." Said Nuemark, thumbing over his shoulder. "He goes out far from his home alley, further than the others anyway, and while we was talking he tells me that there was an alley with thick vegetation but with a 'dark centre' as he puts it, and a 'wrongness in the air'. I don't reccon it's connected bein' that my friend died from a shotgun blast, not a strange leechin' thing, but figured I might come check it out." Nuemark paused, scratching his chin and looking at the outreached terracotta hand thoughtfully. "At first I thought that it was gonna be a leecher troublemaker, as I've seen a few of them stirring up their breed of trouble before, but that doesn't seem to be the case now, does it. You got any idea?

@Gears

Edited by Elend Venture

7 hours ago, Elend Venture said:

"At first I thought that it was gonna be a leecher troublemaker, as I've seen a few of them stirring up their breed of trouble before, but that doesn't seem to be the case now, does it. You got any idea?

"We have uncovered a terracotta hand," Dr. Gears said. "Folorian is fetching a shovel."

Aln, eyes fixed on the statue, heard nothing of the newcomer. She continued to scrape at the dirt with her knife, noting down measurements. She also slipped a sample of both the dirt and the dead plant matter into a pocket, for further use. Eventually she put down the knife, rubbing her hand. It was hardly making any progress - the best thing to do was likely to wait until Folorian returned with a shovel, or to fetch one herself. 

She frowned at the hand. It seemed likely that it was related to the deadspot, even that it had caused it, but she shied away from making such a statement without real proof. The strangest thing about the plants had been their reaction to Progression. Would the statue produce the same effects? Of course, Progression would ordinarily have no impact on a stone, but if it were Invested then there would likely be some difference to observe.

She inhaled another breath of Stormlight, thinking regretfully of her depleting store, and poured it toward the statue.

@Invocation @mathiau @Gears @Elend Venture

@mathiau I'm working off the assumption that Folorian is retrieving a shovel. Please correct me if this is not the case.

Edited by Rushu42
A typographical error

On 7/6/2020 at 10:59 AM, Rushu42 said:

She inhaled another breath of Stormlight, thinking regretfully of her depleting store, and poured it toward the statue.

If you already saw this, Invo, my deepest apologies for bothering you again. Feel free to take your time. If you didn't see it, however, would you mind letting me know what happens? Thanks.

@Invocation

"About that shovel dilemma..." Said Nuemark trailing off as the corner of his mouth quirked up in a half smile. Annette, can you do a shovel?

I don't see why not. It's not a very respectable tool, though if you asked these people you seem to be gravitating toward, they'd probably say it was more glorious a tool than the finest sword. Annette sniffed. In his mind. How'd that work? A spren sniffing in your mind. Dammdest thing, that.

Thanks, Nett. Although I don't know why you seem so adverse to me avoid'n killin' folks and gravitatin' toward the peaceful guilds once in a while when I see one who could use a spot of help.

I don't like killing any more than you do, but you still have to remember your duties. You're a Ghostblood. And you must admit, using me as a shovel is a waste. Said Annette, still somewhat put off.

We was told to rebuild and stop trouble before it got out of hand. We're doin' both here, ain't we?

We are, but we both know that there is much greater trouble out there right now that may require our help to be successfully stopped.

Yeah, fair enough, here; they can dig with you until their friend brings back an ordinary shovel. When we're done, we leave and go after the other problems we were supposed to settle. I feel bad, lyin' to the lot as we did, and I don't suspect a one of 'em is the one, but you can't be too careful yaknow?

I must agree, I don't see any immediate danger...so lending them me for a bit shouldn't be so bad, said Annette, her voice in his head softer now, but as unyielding as ever. And I felt you thinking that hearing me sniff in your mind was strange.

Darn spren, always reading minds. He was still getting used to that, even after over a year. 

Nuemark summoned Annette as a shovel. It was silver, had a five foot straight hexagonal haft, and a thin, sharp blade, though not shardblade sharp, as to not risk damaging the terracotta statue.

And that. Said his shardshovel.

Nuemark held out his Nett-shovel to the glowin' lass with the penknife. "You reccon this'll suffice for what you're doing?"

@Rushu42

Alleyverse problems require Alleyverse solutions. My character can't stay here indefinitely for he has something he will need to attend to shortly, but for now, I figured this might be a fun way to help the unfortunate few who lack shovels. 

Edited by Elend Venture

On 7/9/2020 at 11:13 PM, Rushu42 said:

If you already saw this, Invo, my deepest apologies for bothering you again. Feel free to take your time. If you didn't see it, however, would you mind letting me know what happens? Thanks.

Sorry about the delay, had work. 

The wave of Investiture seems to bend before being sucked into the statue. The few cracks seal and the previously dried-out brown of the terracotta becomes a richer, darker brown. 

4 hours ago, Invocation said:

Sorry about the delay, had work. 

No problem, and thanks for answering.

Aln stared at the terracotta hand. Did I just heal a statue? She felt a wash of excitement. I've never encountered anything like this before, she sent to Pel. Could it be some form of Lifleless? The effects of progression on an awakened entity have barely been explored in the other studies I've read. She glanced toward her satchel for a book on the subject, and started. A stranger was standing behind her, a shardblade in the shape of a shovel held in his hands. How long has he been there? 

From his posture, Aln inferred that he was offering the use of the shovel. "Thank you," she said, accepting it. "I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name."

Say, she added to Pel, do you think you could maybe tell me the next time someone tries to talk to me from behind.

"Sorry", replied the spren.

@Gears @mathiau @Invocation @Elend Venture

I don't like to double post, but I also want to keep the thread moving, so I'm going to do enough that Invo can give us a description of the statue. 

Taking the stranger's Shardshovel, Aln set to work excavating the statue. She positioned herself on the other side of it this time, making sure to keep the rest of the alley in her periphery. It was tiring work, and she had to be very careful not to damage the statue; even a dulled shardblade could likely cut it in two.

@Invocation @everyone else in the thread

On 7/17/2020 at 10:35 AM, Rushu42 said:

Taking the stranger's Shardshovel, Aln set to work excavating the statue. She positioned herself on the other side of it this time, making sure to keep the rest of the alley in her periphery. It was tiring work, and she had to be very careful not to damage the statue; even a dulled shardblade could likely cut it in two.

The statue is the same brown terracotta all over, save the eyes, which are a bright blue, but the detail is incredible. It's clearly human, and clearly female at that, with a wiry build and fairly tall, standing a few inches above average. 

Annette, stay with them. Thought Nuemark, slipping off while everyone was examining the statue as it was exhumed one shovelful at a time.

I never did get to the introductions, Thought Nuemark with a brief flash of regret. It was quickly overpowered by relief that he hadn't imagined killing them all even once.

Nuemark sensed disapproval for his remorse from Annette. The guilds are isolated, you'll probably never meet again, and we've already spent too much time here.

After leaving the alley and walking for some time, Nuemark dismissed Annette, who was still back in the verdant-turned-deceased alley with the Scholars Guild's team, And continued his long trek back toward the meeting spot.

@Rushu42 @Gears @Invocation @mathiau

Edited by Elend Venture

Now covered in dirt and sweat, Aln stared at the uncovered statue. The workmanship was remarkable, the proportions perfect. She leaned back on the Shardshovel, staring into the unnervingly realistic eyes. From her position at the bottom of the hole, the statue stood quite a bit taller taller than she did, and its raised arm only heightened the size discrepancy. Aln stumbled suddenly as the shovel in her hands vanished, and she craned her neck to look out of the hole. The unnamed Surgebinder must have left. His anonymity was far less interesting than the stone figure before her, however, and Aln returned her attention to it.

She couldn't shake the feeling that those eyes were watching her. They were a bright blue, at odds with the rest of the statue, which was all the same terracotta brown. She felt a tingle of unease as she remembered the way that it had seemed to heal from her progression. It did seem eerily realistic. 

Don't jump to conclusions, she told herself forcefully. This requires further study. 

She heaved herself from the excavation and stood to face the others. ''What do you make of this?'' she asked, nodding behind her. ''Shall we take it to the guild for further study?''

@mathiau @Invocation @Gears

Edited by Rushu42
I just realized I forgot to tag Gears - I'm terribly sorry

As soon as the statue is fully uncovered, the deadspot's growth advances, now moving almost twice as fast as it was before. Everyone in the vicinity feels a draining feeling, almost like they've sat on their own hands for too long, but all over their respective bodies. 

@Rushu42 @mathiau

Edited by Invocation

5 hours ago, Gears said:

Dr. Gears noted a sharp increase in the deadspot's growth, as well as a stronger draining effect. "The uncovering of the statue appears to be causing the deadspot to strengthen," he said. "Perhaps we should cover it again while we formulate a course of action."

There is, in the back of your mind, a strong sense displeasure at the notion of burying the statue again.

It does not particularly feel like it came from inside of you.