Why did Hoid turn down a Shard?

Sureblood

Question

8 answers to this question

Welcome to the shard.  Good name I miss him.  To answer your question we do not to the best of my knowledge know but knowing Hoid it was probably because he did not want his own goals subordinated to a shard's intent.

I find it interesting from another POV - would there have been 17 Shards if he'd said yes, or did Shattering Adonalsium require 16 people to pick up exactly 16 Shards - in which case, which Vessel was essentially a "bench player" for the Shattering Crew who only got one because Hoid declined, and does that color how that Shard feels about Hoid later? (And would that be feeling grateful for the chance, or envious/resentful at being a second choice even after all that time and, you know, becoming immortal and whatnot?)

Edited by robardin

18 hours ago, Sureblood said:

So I know that Hoid was given the opportunity to ascend, but he refused. Do we know why he refused a Shard?

No, that's the only informative WoB I've managed to find on the subject

39 minutes ago, robardin said:

I find it interesting from another POV - would there have been 17 Shards if he'd said yes, or did Shattering Adonalsium require 16 people to pick up exactly 16 Shards - in which case, which Vessel was essentially a "bench player" for the Shattering Crew who only got one because Hoid declined, and does that color how that Shard feels about Hoid later? (And would that be feeling grateful for the chance, or envious/resentful at being a second choice even after all that time and, you know, becoming immortal and whatnot?)

Brandon has said that the no. of Shards could've been different under different circumstances, but that doesn't really confirm that the number arose because of the no. of people present at the Shattering.

Hmmm... if it was one of the Shards we know of, perhaps Endowment? Edgli does seem salty in her letter

1 hour ago, robardin said:

I find it interesting from another POV - would there have been 17 Shards if he'd said yes, or did Shattering Adonalsium require 16 people to pick up exactly 16 Shards

It's confirmed that it's the latter:

Paladin Brewer

We know that Hoid was offered a Shard and turned it down. Was he offered a specific Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

He was. There is one of the Shards that he would've-- yeah.

Paladin Brewer

Would he have been the 17th person or did someone take his place?

Brandon Sanderson

No. Someone took his place.

Skyward Houston signing (Nov. 19, 2018)

---

1 hour ago, R J said:

Hmmm... if it was one of the Shards we know of, perhaps Endowment? Edgli does seem salty in her letter

I always thought that was the most logical choice, especially since Hoid likes the Shard. But it isn't one we know:

The Only Joe (paraphrased)

Was Hoid offered one of the Shards we know about?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

You know, I can't remember which Shards I've shown you, Wait, no I haven't shown you that one.

Firefight Portland signing (Jan. 16, 2015)

22 hours ago, Elegy said:

I always thought that was the most logical choice, especially since Hoid likes the Shard. But it isn't one we know:

The Only Joe (paraphrased)

Was Hoid offered one of the Shards we know about?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

You know, I can't remember which Shards I've shown you, Wait, no I haven't shown you that one.

Firefight Portland signing (Jan. 16, 2015)

Thanks! I didn't know this

Edited by R J
edited for clarity

4 minutes ago, R J said:

Thanks! I didn't know this

Yeah, I felt like I'd read that somewhere but I wasn't entirely sure.

I could have done a WoB search at the coppermind, but I feel like it's more fun to let other fans chime in!

Also interesting is that it's a Shard we haven't yet seen in the Cosmere.