Advanced Breath

Mr.stormblessed

What is possible with Breath? We know that the reutrned can change their body as well as we know that the royal family gets their royal locks from a returned. Also, Vasher at one point tells Vivenna to step away and he said something to a small baby and her Breath aura flickered. Any ideas as to what could be done?

No one really knows(I mean sure maybe somebody does) but even Vasher an expert awakener with centuries of practice is not particularly confidant answering that question.  Awakening is extremely expensive to practice and it requires a strong will and organized mind to do effectively.  We know it can "animate" things and modify memories as well as provide special properties to objects and that is about it.  If you want to job into speculation though.

It should be(in fact almost certain is) possible to make some kind of spren(as on Roshar) with breath.  It is possible that you might be able to do small tweaks to yourself or others

Roshar spoilers

Spoiler

like with the old magic

the emperor's soul spoilers

Spoiler

or forgery

by using breath as an extra bit of soul that you can manipulate(this is the kind of awakening I am most interested in).

• 1 month later...

I also get the feeling that mind control might be a possibility given the mechanics involved. We know you can put breath into an object, effectively creating an artificial Spren, with a command to make it do your bidding. We also know that you can put breath in a person with the "My breath becomes yours" command. What if you combined the techniques. It would probably take a ton of breath and it could probably be resisted given a strong enough will but such a technique would basically be putting a second person in the victim's body that's wrestling for control. Likewise, while its a long shot, you could probably do this to yourself to imitate a Nahel bond. Psuedo-surgebinding maybe? I feel like Awakening is very underexplored in the Cosmere honestly. It can be used by anyone, it grants immortality so you have unlimited time to train, and lets be real, this is the magic that created Nightblood BY ACCIDENT.