Theory: Truthwatchers swear no oaths beyond the First Ideal...

robardin

Like Lightweavers, they do not swear Ideals but have to admit things to themselves about themselves.

...But instead of Truths, it's Dares! They have to force themselves to do something they wish they would do. Glys dared Renarin to join Bridge Four, for his Second Ideal!

(OK so this is mostly a joke about Truth or Dare, but hey, it's possible...)

Cool idea! I don’t think it’s possible. Their oaths are more about universal truth, not something as personal as dares. Besides, I think Renarin wanted to join Bridge 4 to fit in, and not because of a dare. ^_^

Though it would be funny to see a Lightweaver and Truthwatcher going at it over a game of truth or dare. The game ends up making them swear their ideals on accident. The Lightweaver answers the question “who do you like”, which ends up being their oath, and forever and always they will remember their stupid schoolyard crush that they regret like nothing else. 

Edited by Hentient

23 minutes ago, Karger said:

I like the idea but that does not seem to fit the ethos of the order.  Aren't they about observable results?

well they're one of the few orders we don't know any of their further Ideals...

1 hour ago, robardin said:

well they're one of the few orders we don't know any of their further Ideals...

Dustbringers, Willshapers, Stonewards(we kind of have a second but not really), and Elsecallers.

11 hours ago, Karger said:

Dustbringers, Willshapers, Stonewards(we kind of have a second but not really), and Elsecallers.

Well you see, I came up with this non-serious theory in reverse, after a conversation about playing Truth or Dare as kids. One person said they always chose Truth because they were afraid of an unknown Dare, and admitted to not always telling the full or actual Truth in so doing, but hey, who could call them on it?

And I wanted to say that was very Lightweaver-ish, but couldn't because they wouldn't know what I was talking about. D'oh!

But it also tickled me to imagine a Radiant who had to do Dares to advance, who we'd seen advance but not exactly how, and Renarin seemed like a good fit. Yes he wanted to join Bridge Four, but clearly had to work himself up to making that move in reality. He had to Dare to make it become a Truth!

That description might fit a Willshaper POV, actually!

Edited by robardin