Aon Conversion (Roshar Edition)

Halyo_Alex

However, it is incredibly difficult to combine or convert Aons with other types of Investiture. This is speculated to be because Aons rely so heavily on geography for their power, and would therefore have to be completely recreated in order to be used anywhere other than Arelon and surrounding areas.

...Incredibly difficult, hmm... Let's see...

Assuming that we can make an Ire-style Dor Conduit to Shadesmar, what sort of Aon Aon (and other Aons) might we need to draw to make use of AonDor on Roshar? I've spent the past couple hours experimenting with such a thing, making a (possible) Aon Aon based on the geography of Roshar, and remaking some Aons using it as the base.

Here's the set of Aons I've converted, starting with Aon Aon. (Edit: Updated!) :D

It would be interesting to see some sort of Rosharan Elantris (Elantrisirtnale??) built above the spot in the PR where the Dor Conduit ends in the CR. Would probably be needed to get any meaningful amount of power out of Aons so far from the Dor, even with the Conduit.

Also, to explain the Rosharan Aon Aon, it follows the curvature of the continent, branching off from The Valley towards Aimia with the southern branch, and up to the Reshi Isles with the northern branch. The dot is the Purelake, and the small line is Aimia.

Edited by Halyo_Alex
Updated the Imgur gallery of Rosharan Aons

17 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Also, to explain the Rosharan Aon Aon, it follows the curvature of the continent, branching off from The Valley towards Aimia with the southern branch, and up to the Reshi Isles with the northern branch. The dot is the Purelake, and the small line is Aimia.

Awesome! Im surprised you actually made so many already.

just a tip though, instead of basing the Aons off the whole continent of Roshar, you might try doing a specific country on Roshar(say, Alethkar or Jah Keved). 

On Sel, different countries on the same continent have different ways of accessing the magic besides Aons, so it makes sense that it would be the same on Roshar.

9 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

Awesome! Im surprised you actually made so many already.

just a tip though, instead of basing the Aons off the whole continent of Roshar, you might try doing a specific country on Roshar(say, Alethkar or Jah Keved). 

On Sel, different countries on the same continent have different ways of accessing the magic besides Aons, so it makes sense that it would be the same on Roshar.

That's true, and you've got a valid point. But I didn't want to have to make 5-10 different Aon Aons and then recreate the 8 or so Aons I did here.

This is mostly a proof of concept.

54 minutes ago, Mist said:

You'd probably want Rao in Shadesmar, which is the third one, I believe.

Well Elantris doesn't need an Aon in the CR... But perhaps you're onto something.

Shadesmar Aons? Would you need them? 

I mean, wouldn't that just be negative space Aons?

Those are beautiful! 

Thanks! It wasn't too tough to make this, actually. Took a bit of experimenting, sure, but I'm happy with the shapes I ended up with.

2 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

That's true, and you've got a valid point. But I didn't want to have to make 5-10 different Aon Aons and then recreate the 8 or so Aons I did here.

it might actually be more.  In particular, I'm thinking that the Alethi Princedoms and the Azish states might each end up with their own.  possibly not, but teh Azish states are pretty much completely independent of each other, and the Alethi Princedoms have only been united for a few decades at most.

either way, I expect that on Alethi/Kholin Aons, that Kholinar would be notable, probably with a simplified version of the windblades.  likewise it wouldnt surprise me if some of the other cities mentioned as being symmetrical might not be specifically represented with symmetrical shapes on aons where it would make sense to mark them.

2 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

it might actually be more.  In particular, I'm thinking that the Alethi Princedoms and the Azish states might each end up with their own.  possibly not, but teh Azish states are pretty much completely independent of each other, and the Alethi Princedoms have only been united for a few decades at most.

either way, I expect that on Alethi/Kholin Aons, that Kholinar would be notable, probably with a simplified version of the windblades.  likewise it wouldnt surprise me if some of the other cities mentioned as being symmetrical might not be specifically represented with symmetrical shapes on aons where it would make sense to mark them.

Yeesh, I despair that you're right...

This is gonna take a lotta work... :blink:

40 minutes ago, R J said:

Wow, beautiful work @Halyo_Alex!  I don't really get the shape though, why does the left arm loop more upwards making it look like a triskele, why is there a second arm below it? Aimia, but that should be the disconnected line jutting from it? 

Here you go.

Yes, the map has been squished horizontally, but I didn't want the shapes to be weirdly oblong and stuff... Or just gigantic. This makes it more like the normal Aon Aon, somewhat square in its dimensions as well.

Aon Aon Roshar Map.png

13 hours ago, R J said:

Thanks!

Ah Purelake is the dot just like lake Alonoe was

Huh, I'd always thought the Dot was the Perpendicularity Pool and got noted in the Aons because it was a perpendicularity.  

@Halyo_Alex Fantastic Work!

EDIT:  Follow-up Question, @Halyo_Alex, why the break in the line over Aimia.  I thought it might be the island chain, but there's nothing similar over the Reshi Isles

Edited by Quantus