GriffinMaze

Will anyone from Bridge 4 deviate from being Windrunners (or squires)

21 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'm currently working through all the books via audio right now and my brain has doing what I'm sure everyone's does and grasp at any bit of info to try to glean some extra details. 

I'm thinking about Bridge 4 and I have a theory that Rock will not become a Windrunner but a Stonewarden. 

Reasons I believe this

1. All through the B4 training sequences he is staunchly against fighting. He does some training but he has no interest in being a fighter.

2. He is part of the nobility of the Horneater peaks but "too important" to be a fighter. He views it as the lowest status.

3. The narrative will eventually take us to the Horneater peaks and there is some foreshadowing that Rock will lead his people. Currently our main characters are filling in slots of the orders, Kaladin - Windrunners, Shallan - Lightweaver ....etc. Rock occupying a slot as one of the first of an order makes a lot of sense.

4. Rock already has incredible physical skills and martial training. He is extremely broad and EXCESSIVELY strong. He is trained in grappling and archery for sure.

5. The Horneaters in general are known for their fighting prowess. 

6. Something is going wrong at the Horneater peaks. An assumption is the fused are up to no good and they will need to be fought off I think Rock will 'Stand Where Others Have Fallen' (honestly I'm not in love with this being the second ideal of the Stonewardens. I'm hoping it has something else to do with "fighting evil no matter the cost") and go against his internal strife and become the soldier he never wanted to be but was always meant to be. 

7. Horneaters fit with being the "tanks" of the army

Feel free to rip this apart.This is my first theory post on here I know its thin on specifics and I should have been taking notes as a went along but here we are regardless. Also feel free to throw in any other bridgemen that might become something different other than a windrunner or a windrunner squire

Edited by GriffinMaze

I like this theory.

there’s no rule anywhere saying that Bridge 4 can only be Windrunners(look at Renarin) so i think this theory has merit

its just that bridge 4’s proximity to the windrunners and Kaladin make them more likely to be a Windrunner

Edited by Eternal Khol

17 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

I like this theory.

there’s no rule anywhere saying that Bridge 4 can only be Windrunners(look at Renarin) so i think this theory has merit

its just that bridge 4’s proximity to the windrunners and Kaladin make them more likely to be a Windrunner

Storm Cellar

Do squires always bond the spren of their Knight's order? Or can they attract a different type of spren?

Also, was it normal for someone to serve their whole life as a squire?

Brandon Sanderson

They can attract a different spren. 

It was indeed normal, depending on the order and the person.  

Also there is this comment from Brandon as well about squires of one order attracting a different spren. Currently ONLY the Windrunners have squires. So while not a direct implication that one of the windrunner squires will attract a different spren, it's not the craziest logical leap 

Edited by GriffinMaze

19 minutes ago, GriffinMaze said:

Currently ONLY the Windrunners have squires

As of OB Shallan has one as well.

Great call, that completely slipped my mind. I'm not there yet in my relisten of OB and that squireship didnt have much impact on me at any point (leading to me not remembering)

Is like Vatha to be either a Lightner or Stoneward. He's been pretty dependable so far...

Rock could be a Stoneward as well. Rain could be a Willshaper.  I think many Singers who select from Odium could be a Willshaper...

I'm still thinking Rock will end up a Bondsmith. Nothing brings people together like Stew. (Remember that Stonewards are basically the Radiant Infantry.) 

Edited by Aminar

Rock struck me as a classic Edgedancer, looking after the well-being of group members who might otherwise be forgotten (Rlain and Renarin especially).

1 hour ago, Subvisual Haze said:

Rock struck me as a classic Edgedancer, looking after the well-being of group members who might otherwise be forgotten (Rlain and Renarin especially).

Him paying extra attention to them never really stood out to me in any meaningful way. I feel like anything he did, Kaladin did more

Edited by GriffinMaze

I mean, the Windrunners have always struck me as all wrong for Rock and Sigzil. And also there's Rlain, who I feel like we don't know quite well enough for me to be able to guess which order suits him.

1 minute ago, Gilphon said:

I mean, the Windrunners have always struck me as all wrong for Rock and Sigzil. And also there's Rlain, who I feel like we don't know quite well enough for me to be able to guess which order suits him.

Any guesses about Sigzil? Truthwatcher seems pretty reasonable/natural to me

Honestly, I thought about this before, although my guess has always been on Sigzil.

"I spread knowledge of cultures, peoples, thoughts, and dreams. I bring peace through understanding." 

- Sigzil in The Way of Kings, Chapter 55

Sigzil could work very well as a Truthwatcher. 

Especially as a Worldsinger the Truthwatcher attributes "Learned/ Giving" seem such a perfect fit. He is very secretive, educative and factual, which are traits often associated to the members of the Order of the Truthwatchers, but when trying to convey his ideas and knowledge he still needs a lot of improvement (e.g. that one time he tried - and utterly failed - to explain Kaladin the story of Mishim). Therefore, I noticed that bonding a Truthwatcher spren could work very well for his own development.

And with that being said, I would just really appreciate it to see more healers in Bridge Four - Renarin can't remain the only one!

27 minutes ago, GriffinMaze said:

Any guesses about Sigzil? Truthwatcher seems pretty reasonable/natural to me

I dont think truthwatcher, they're said to be secretive and not talk or write about what they do, Sigzil was an apprentice world singer.

Got to be lightweaver/ elsecaller. He was Hoids apprentice after all. Either lightweaving for the storytelling (even though he disagrees with the notion). Elsecaller to study and world sing about the only citys yet unknown to him, in shadesmar. Maybe even abit of world hopping for good measure. 

I hope we see a flashback or reunion in an interlude or something.

9 minutes ago, Cammac said:

they're said to be secretive and not talk or write about what they do,

I do not believe that is an accurate statement. 

"The Ideals of the Order of Truthwatchers all focus on seeking and sharing truth, as well as making sure it is not improperly exploited. However, unlike the Lightweavers, who pursue personal truths, the Truthwatchers are concerned more with uncovering the greater secrets of the universe"

1 minute ago, GriffinMaze said:

I do not believe that is an accurate statement. 

"The Ideals of the Order of Truthwatchers all focus on seeking and sharing truth, as well as making sure it is not improperly exploited. However, unlike the Lightweavers, who pursue personal truths, the Truthwatchers are concerned more with uncovering the greater secrets of the universe"

I do agree with that, but to be a world singer you have to actually "sing" about the world, not keep quite about it. I dont think hes secretive, I think he was like all bridgemen not watching to talk about their past.

Now, as the Truthwatchers were esoteric in nature, their order being formed entirely of those who never spoke or wrote of what they did, in this lies frustration for those who would see their exceeding secrecy from the outside; they were not naturally inclined to explanation; and in the case of Corberon's disagreements, their silence was not a sign of exceeding abundance of disdain, but rather an exceeding abundance of tact.

I agree that lightweaver is a far stretch, it was more based on his relationship with hoid than his personality. I think elsecaller would be a solid bet though.

7 minutes ago, Cammac said:

I do agree with that, but to be a world singer you have to actually "sing" about the world, not keep quite about it. I dont think hes secretive, I think he was like all bridgemen not watching to talk about their past.

Now, as the Truthwatchers were esoteric in nature, their order being formed entirely of those who never spoke or wrote of what they did, in this lies frustration for those who would see their exceeding secrecy from the outside; they were not naturally inclined to explanation; and in the case of Corberon's disagreements, their silence was not a sign of exceeding abundance of disdain, but rather an exceeding abundance of tact.

I agree that lightweaver is a far stretch, it was more based on his relationship with hoid than his personality. I think elsecaller would be a solid bet though.

I think you are missing my point a bit. I don't think the Truthwatchers are secretive. I think that in-text description is a bad description of their order and the following recently provided by Brandon is probably more accurate and fits Sigzil very well

Truthwatcher

I will seek truth

Truthwatcher oaths are themed around seeking to find ultimate truth and sharing it. They are very concerned with knowledge and the proper exploitation of it. Note that this should not be confused with the Lightweavers, whose oaths are themed toward personal truths about themselves, said for reasons of self-actualization. Truthwatchers are more concerned with the fundamental truths of the universe, and whether or not those in power are being truthful with the people they lead.

The Truthwatchers are seen as quiet, largely known as the most scholarly Order of Knights Radiant. They tend to attract scientists primarily, but also scholars or thinkers of all types. This extends to some who might not normally be known as scholarly but instead as someone often consumed by their own thoughts. In general, they tend to be reserved, particularly in person, though a small minority of Truthwatchers are greatly concerned with the actions of the powerful and might be likened to investigative reporters. These make their opinions known loudly and forcefully, particularly if they think someone in power is abusing that power or lying about fundamental truths. Note that, as with all Knights Radiant, there is great disagreement within the Order about what is the truth. However, Truthwatchers tend to approach these discussions with enthusiasm, even if they generally prefer to write their opinions rather than speak them. Among the Knights Radiant, the Truthwatchers tend to be those who hold the knowledge and secrets of Surgebinding and are the ones to discover many of the newer advances in things like fabrial technology.

Sigzil is rather reserved among Bridge Four. Sigzil was VERY scientific about how he wanted to investigate Kaladin's powers. Sigzil has shown no real inclination to personal truths (lightweaver) nor has he ever seemed to care much about personal perfection (elsecaller)

Returning to Rock, I'm going to submit another possible order for him. Stonward seems too on the nose. So... What if Rock turned out to be a Lightweaver? He certainly treats his cooking like an art. And, he does tend to inspire the rest of Bridge Four towards a less depressed state. Just a thought.

Before the Quiz came out, I would've said Elsecaller for Sigzil. But now I think he's perfect for the Truthwatchers. 

With Rock... Edgedancer seems like the obvious choice, but I have trouble picturing that. Lightweaver is an interesting possibility. 

12 minutes ago, BasementDwellingRadiant said:

Returning to Rock, I'm going to submit another possible order for him. Stonward seems too on the nose. So... What if Rock turned out to be a Lightweaver? He certainly treats his cooking like an art. And, he does tend to inspire the rest of Bridge Four towards a less depressed state. Just a thought.

The food bringing them out of the depression definitely is very lightweaver-y. I will admit. I

8 minutes ago, Gilphon said:

Before the Quiz came out, I would've said Elsecaller for Sigzil. But now I think he's perfect for the Truthwatchers. 

With Rock... Edgedancer seems like the obvious choice, but I have trouble picturing that. Lightweaver is an interesting possibility. 

Can you elaborate why Edgedancer seems like an obvious choice? I don't see it at all personally but i might just be looking at things the wrong way

Edit: Went back and read the ED blurb, this:

"The Edgedancers are known as being caring and graceful. Among the Knights Radiant, they see it as their duty to care for the people and are often less interested in war than they are about trying to improve the daily lives of the common folk. "

and

"During wartime, they often act as the mobile medics, eschewing actual combat to heal or pull out the wounded or those trapped in terrible situations" 

Are both very Rock like

Edited by GriffinMaze

1 hour ago, Cammac said:

I do think Sigzil is more secretive than most in Bridge Four. 
After all, Kaladin managed to hear the past from most bridgemen but definitely not from Sigzil - who still shuts down every time when asked about his past or a certain white haired man is mentioned. But surely, not every Truthwatcher will be" secretive" in nature. The Orders must have a much wider range of personalities with their growing number of members. 

Personally, I don't think Elsecaller would be a good fit as their second attribute is Careful and they seek Self-Mastery.
I'd rather want to see him become a better mediator. But then again, I might be a bit biased here...

Although, he could also make a good Skybreaker. He surely is focused on his paper work...

Edited by paintweaver

22 minutes ago, GriffinMaze said:

I think you are missing my point a bit. I don't think the Truthwatchers are secretive. I think that in-text description is a bad description of their order and the following recently provided by Brandon is probably more accurate and fits Sigzil very well

Truthwatcher

I will seek truth

the Truthwatchers tend to be those who hold the knowledge and secrets of Surgebinding and are the ones to discover many of the newer advances in things like fabrial technology.

Sigzil is rather reserved among Bridge Four. Sigzil was VERY scientific about how he wanted to investigate Kaladin's powers. Sigzil has shown no real inclination to personal truths (lightweaver) nor has he ever seemed to care much about personal perfection (elsecaller)

Consider me converted.

I also think rock would make a good edgedancer, and the thought of a man of his size sliding around would be great! He and lift would also make the most dynamic and comedic team. Her calling wyndle a voidbringer and giving him grief. Him bowing and respecting/worshipping his spren.

At a distant second place I'd say willshaper