Father Bin

so I read name of the wind

23 posts in this topic

It was okay I guess. I personally found the beginning much more interesting than the university. oh and I really don't like kvothe

Heh, not liking Kvothe is a common enough sentiment. He's a power fantasy character after all. Yeah, I liked Ruh & the mysteries more than the uni too, but that was okay too.

I just read this series as well!

Overall I really like reading it and I found the method of storytelling to be really innovative and creative. My biggest problem was I found Kvothe too perfect

I rather like Kvothe personally.  He is one of the more believable protagonists in an utterly fantastical world.

17 hours ago, Karger said:

He is one of the more believable protagonists in an utterly fantastical world.

Ehh...eeeehhh...depends on your definition of believable, I guess? 

42 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Ehh...eeeehhh...depends on your definition of believable, I guess? 

Personality wise.  Not skill wise.

Ah, yeah, that’s more understandable. 

4 hours ago, Karger said:

Personality wise.  Not skill wise.

I would agree with that. I’m currently rereading tNotW right now, and I’m finding a lot of things I actually identify with in his personality.

I got about 100 pages in and then put it on hold. The world and magic look interesting but Kvothe gets on my nerves.

My favorite parts of the books are the prologs and epilogues. But yea I agree Kvothe isn’t great (I’m also not a huge fan of Denna :blink:)

But Patrick writes scenes beautifully which is why I still love the books.

23 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

I got about 100 pages in and then put it on hold. The world and magic look interesting but Kvothe gets on my nerves.

Hah, as did I, though I intend to pick it up from the library later this week and finish it. I've only put it off for a year-and-a-half. :P

On 18/06/2020 at 9:05 AM, Father Bin said:

oh and I really don't like kvothe

I kind of suspect that not liking him is the preferred way to read the series, and you'll have an advantage on those who do like him when the final comes out <_<

7 hours ago, Snorkel said:

when the final comes out <_<

if it ever does. sorry I'm just becoming too used to Brandon's productivity.

Edited by Father Bin

The one character I liked was Devi the loanshark. The others were kind of uninteresting. Prose was great, but I meed more than that to be hooked.

I've been considering reading Name of the Wind. The only thing that gives me pause is the sex... is that a big thing at all? (Use Wheel of Time as a more/less reference if possible)

Good question. I skimmed those parts (mostly the part about Felurian), and was still able to understand what was going on. (I haven't read all of WoT, so can't compare for you.)

I liked the first 2 books very much, and the novella about Auri, and the piece in an anthology about Bast - read each of then twice at least, and I feel they are worth reading.

That said, personally I feel that Rothfuss will never actually complete book 3 and end the series - it has been too many years, and the story is too complex to wrap up in a single book and still keep the level of storytelling as high as it very much was.

So I actually sold my books a couple years ago while decluttering. If book 3 ever is published, I'll pick up paperbacks then to reread.

Life is too short (at least mine is) to keep waiting and waiting for a book the author seems to have lost interest in writing. My opinion; YMMV of course.

Edited by Iarwainiel
addition

On 6/19/2020 at 4:12 PM, Hentient said:

I’m also not a huge fan of Denna

seconded.  Denna annoys me, as does Kvothe's infatuation with her.

On 7/25/2020 at 10:54 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

The one character I liked was Devi the loanshark. The others were kind of uninteresting. Prose was great, but I meed more than that to be hooked.

Devi is pretty solid.  I also like Auri (especially after reading Slow Regard for Silent Things) and the master namer (whose name I have, ironically, forgotten) and a few others.  I'm personally also fond of the sort of themes of storytelling that pervades the whole thing.  It ties together some of the more disparate elements in ways that they wouldn't quite manage on their own.

9 hours ago, Dunkum said:

and the master namer (whose name I have, ironically, forgotten)

Elodin?

49 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Elodin?

that's the one

Read Name of the Wind, have not yet read anything else but since I liked the first book I plan to. Every so often a change of literary pace is good and I don't mind Kvothe. The fact that we know from the present-day chapters that something has happened to him that's broken his ability to use his magic helps too, if you think he's too good in his recollections and the (deliberately inflated) legends about him.

As an aside, I've got a friend who I trade book recommendations with. She told me to read it, I threw Warbreaker at her as an introduction to Brandon. I don't think either of us is unhappy with the results. :D

On 6/20/2020 at 4:54 AM, Father Bin said:

if it ever does. sorry I'm just becoming too used to Brandon's productivity.

Brandon has definitely spoiled me when it comes to writing pace. I mean, even when he's not writing the book I most want next he's writing something and it's always been enjoyable. On Rothfuss, I'm a lot more optimistic that he'll finish his series than GRRM or Scott Lynch will finish theirs. At least Kingkiller Chronicle only has one more book planned, while ASoIaF has The Indefinitely Prolonged Winds of Winter plus another book (plus anything else he decides to spend time on in lieu of the main series) and Gentleman Bastard has three more books to be written once Thorn of Emberlain is published. I figure there's a chance for Lynch to finish since he's relatively young and maybe he'll pick up the pace again. Martin... not holding my breath nor betting money on ever seeing the final book.

Edited by Weltall

Rothfuss' editor hasn't seen a word of Doors of Stone in six years. 

I honestly think folks should start making peace with the fact that it ain't happening. Rothfuss, unlike Martin, isn't a slow writer.

He just isn't writing. 

Name of the Wind was good, but even if the third book ever comes out, I think we're all going to be disappointed. There's too much plot and the first two books have basically not even addressed the actual main plot threads, just introduced new ones.

I just finished it today and I enjoyed it. I agree that Kvothe and Denna were annoying, but there were other characters that I liked. One thing that really annoyed me was the fact that other characters kept bothering Kvothe about sex and girls. I guess I can understand his friends making jokes and teasing him, but when adults do it it's really annoying. Stop. He's 15. I just feel like adults should discourage that behavior instead of suggesting it.