Should i read Elric of Melniboné saga?

Krafl

Many of my favourite fantasy authors, Brandon included, have pointed to the Elric of Melniboné (by Micheal Moorcock) saga as a source of inspiration, so some years ago i started the first novel, but i stopped reading it in the first half. I didn't finish it because i felt very confused by the continuous introduction of new worldbuilding elements and because the pace of the book seemed to me very slow. 

Now i've found a complete edition of the saga in my native language (Italian), and i was tempted to give it another try, because i believe (from what i've heard about Elric character ) that the saga could give huge payoffs in the end and because maybe now i am a more expert fantasy reader and i could find it less difficult and less slow.

Can you recommend this saga? Is the character of Elric as awesome as many have said?

Edited by Krafl

It's not worth it. 

Back in yonder day, it was different and as a result inspired the next round of writers. 

The thing about art, though, is that it tends to improve. Sword and sorcery novels now have better plots, writing, characters, etc. An angst ridden elf with an evil sword is nothing against all that. 

Some works have a timeless quality. This isn't one of them. But if you must, just read Stormbringer.

3 hours ago, Orlion the Platypus said:

It's not worth it. 

Back in yonder day, it was different and as a result inspired the next round of writers. 

The thing about art, though, is that it tends to improve. Sword and sorcery novels now have better plots, writing, characters, etc. An angst ridden elf with an evil sword is nothing against all that. 

Some works have a timeless quality. This isn't one of them. But if you must, just read Stormbringer.

Good point, thanks.