Is Harmony still a feruchemist?

Oltux72

Question

9 answers to this question

On 6/16/2020 at 11:50 AM, Oltux72 said:

If Kelsier is any guide a Sliver retains or regains old powers. But what about a vessel? The point may be moot, but in theory, is Sazed still a feruchemist?

definite answer. yes he is still a feruchemist

Yados

Does Sazed's biological body still exist somewhere? If so, does that body still possess Feruchemical abilities?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, it does exist, though kind of...blended-in, so to speak, as happened with the others when they Ascended. Yes, it still has his abilities, though they are kind of moot now.

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 26, 2012)

In theory Yes.  He's saturated by Investiture, and his Spiritweb has been "inflated" and stretched because of it, but the original shape of his spiritweb should remain more or less patterned as it was before it got inflated.  In the same way Leras still had a physical body to drop when he died, Sazed should still be a feruchemist, and would still be a feruchemist should he ever decide to give up the shards. 

44 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

If Kelsier is any guide a Sliver retains or regains old powers. But what about a vessel? The point may be moot, but in theory, is Sazed still a feruchemist?

I suppose he could store some of his investiture in metal if he really wanted to.  He could also withdraw it later so yes...?

Sazed is like the source of Feruchemy now. And his physical body is sort of dispersed throughout the power. So...I don't know if you could call him a Feruchemist right now. But if he were to become mortal again and not be dead, then yeah, I think he'd still be a Feruchemist. Maybe with stronger or oddly changed powers due to being a Sliver?

yes, he should still be a Feruchemist after releasing the power.

Feruchemy is still written into his Spiritweb and that Spiritweb is still somewhere in that power.

Rashek Ascended and Fully became Preservation and he was still a feruchemist after he used the power. he was even able to modify his Spiritweb to make himself a extremely powerful Allomancer.

3 hours ago, RShara said:

Sazed is like the source of Feruchemy now. And his physical body is sort of dispersed throughout the power. So...I don't know if you could call him a Feruchemist right now.

well... technically you can still call him a Feruchemist.

the Metallic Arts are just the near infinite capabilities of Preservation & Ruin, channeled into a very specific form that mortals can see and interact with.

now that he's Harmony, its sorta like he's both the source of the metallic arts and a practitioner(i dont know that practitioner is the right word, now that he doesn't actively practice Feruchemy). its just, now thats he's Harmony, why would he want to use those extremely limited set of abilities when he can do almost anything he wants.

why would you try to use lego's to build a house when you have perfectly good lumber at your disposal?(in this metaphor, Feruchemy is the Lego's and the Shards power is the Lumber) 

he still has the ability to do Feruchemy but he isn't a Feruchemist(at least by my definition)

you wouldn't say a jack of all trades, is simply a Plumber, now would you?

Edited by Eternal Khol

1 hour ago, Harrycrapper said:

Also worth mentioning is that he used the knowledge in his copperminds to remake the world when he Ascended. He could still tap his metalminds so he's definitely still a Feruchemist, though how it works for the other Feruchemical powers I cannot say.

Actually, I'm pretty sure he tapped all his copperminds right before he Ascended. 

Also, could he store the Investiture of the shard Harmony in a nicrosil metalmind?

I think you need to distinguish between the Vessel and the Shard here.

Yes, the Vessel that is Sazed is still a Feruchemist, just as Rashek remained one. Should he like Rashek ever "Descend", or give up the Shard willingly without passing Beyond as Kelsier did, he'd be one again. It's built into his Spiritweb.

The detail is that, having taken up the Shard of Preservation (as well as Ruin), he could also hardwire his Vessel for "maximum mortal strength Allomancy" the way that Rashek did before Descending to being a mortal Sliver. And I guess, being Harmony which also includes Ruin, he could go even further and hardwire his Vessel for "maximum efficiency Feruchemy", whatever that would mean (it's possible Rashek could not do that, as he only held Preservation while Ascended, and only "most" and not "all" of that Shard to boot - some portion of the power must have been reserved in a "boot ROM" kind of way to keep the Well's prison going while the Ascension happened, and to effectuate the temporary nature of the Ascension so that the Well would refill again).

So just like Rashek's "Preservation-Ascension Twiddled Spiritweb Allomancy" was greater in power even than that of a lerasium Mistborn like Elend (per WoB that superceded earlier WoBs on the subject), Sazed's Harmony-Ascension Twiddled Spiritweb Feruchemy might be enhanced from those of an ordinary Feruchemist. Maybe he could store more attributes faster? Cram more into a given metalmind? Or just that his Compounding (assuming he also Twiddled himself for Allomancy) would be even more effective than Rashek's, like a 20x leverage factor instead of "only" a 10x factor?

Edited by robardin