35 members have voted

1. 1. How long have you been playing?

• 0-1 years
    • 1-2 years
    • 3-5 years
    • 5-7 years
    • 7-10 years
    • 10+ years

I've been playing for seven years now, and I do mostly classical (although I've been branching into jazz recently -- having lots of fun). I compose too, and am just finishing up a piece. Funnily enough, I planned my next one to be a sort of collection of motifs for certain characters in SA.

My favorite period is Romantic for its drama and grandiose, and my favorite composer is Tchaikovsky for his long and graceful phrases. My favorite piece by him is April (Snowdrop), although my favorite pieces overall are Rachmaninoff's preludes in G major and g minor. Funny how that works out.

Currently playing: Debussy Reverie, Chopin Grande Valse Brillante, and Kabalevsky Concerto Op. 50. No. 3 in D major.

What genres do you guys specialize in? What are you working on? What are your favorite composers, time periods, pieces, etc? This is going to be fun!

Edited by PiedPeterPiper

So, it's kinda similar, because my two favorite kinds of pieces to play are really fast crazy ones and also really calm pretty ones- basically opposites. It's weird how that happened.

I am reeeeally enjoying the Piano Guys book I got- it's the one for Limitless, their newest album. I've been playing through some of the easier sight-readable ones and have really enjoyed their music- specifically All of Me and Waterfall, those are my two favorites.

I LOATHE scales. Who doesn't, honestly :P I also don't really love Bach.

9 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

So, it's kinda similar, because my two favorite kinds of pieces to play are really fast crazy ones and also really calm pretty ones- basically opposites. It's weird how that happened.

This^^^^^^^ 

There’s no in between for me when it comes to repertoire. I love the intensity of fast paced pieces and the fact that I generally get to be really aggressive and just bash the keys (without breaking the piano, I promise), but I also love the beauty of the slower, more elegant pieces where I get to be really expressive. I usually have periods where I’ll be really into one side or the other. Right now I’m in aggressiveland. Pieces themes around nature are also my go-to.

I also love playing songs from various soundtracks. Zelda, Xenoblade and Studio Ghibli all sound great on piano. 

Edited by The Awakened Salad

Ahh yes, it’s about time that a thread like this existed! Personally, I use the piano to play video game music the most; I even recently got two piano books, one for Hollow Knight and one for Stardew Valley. Both are pretty tough, but I’m really getting the hang of the Hollow Knight songs. Otherwise I usually find and play sheet music on musescore

I now consider myself able to play this, after 2ish weeks of practice :lol: (Still need to memorize, but I tend to do that automatically :ph34r:):

Spoiler

Next up: His rendition of A Million Dreams. Which is a heck of a lot harder... challenge accepted!

Edited by Matrim's Dice

Hi! I am originally a classical saxophonist, But since the age of 16 I had to take on a second instrument in high school, Keys were mandatory If they weren't already your main instrument. I am a tinkler, but the last 5 a6 years I've gotten a lot better at chords and the general piano. 

I used to know all of Für Elise, but that's degenerated.... I mostly play what I listen to, and my favorite band is Europe, so there's a lot of that on my repertoire. I also know half of the atetris song, and the water theme from Super Mario Bros 1

I recorded myself playing Carrie when I had access to a grand piano through work once. A couple of months later I was able to show it to the keyboard player in the band! 

Edited by Aphasia85

• 1 month later...

I’m really getting into music theory currently and the piano is really helpful for that. I’ve been playing since kindergarten but at a very slow rate since I often fail to practice. I also play oboe and sing. Maybe there should be an oboe clan. Oboists are very proud of it, or at least I am :D .

I'm not completely sure how long I took lessons, I took from my mom. Then I kind of stopped... But I do still play sometimes! I recently memorized a very simplified version of the song Forever and Always by the band Parachute.