Piano Player's Guild    12 members have voted

1. 1. How long have you been playing?

• 0-1 years
    • 1-2 years
    • 3-5 years
    • 5-7 years
    • 7-10 years
    • 10+ years

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 posts in this topic

I checked, and this wasn't a thing! It is now!

I have been playing for 8 years and 3 days now, just passed the anniversary mark, and it is seriously the greatest thing. How 'bout everyone else here? Aspiring pianists welcome!

(@Experience, @Shard of Reading, I know you play :))

I played for a few years a long time ago, but then I quit. Would that be 1-2 in the quiz? 

5 minutes ago, AonEne said:

I played for a few years a long time ago, but then I quit. Would that be 1-2 in the quiz? 

How ever long you did before you quit, I guess :P 

Posted (edited)

I've been playing for seven years now, and I do mostly classical (although I've been branching into jazz recently -- having lots of fun). I compose too, and am just finishing up a piece. Funnily enough, I planned my next one to be a sort of collection of motifs for certain characters in SA.

My favorite period is Romantic for its drama and grandiose, and my favorite composer is Tchaikovsky for his long and graceful phrases. My favorite piece by him is April (Snowdrop), although my favorite pieces overall are Rachmaninoff's preludes in G major and g minor. Funny how that works out.

Currently playing: Debussy Reverie, Chopin Grande Valse Brillante, and Kabalevsky Concerto Op. 50. No. 3 in D major.

What genres do you guys specialize in? What are you working on? What are your favorite composers, time periods, pieces, etc? This is going to be fun!

Edited by PiedPeterPiper

So, it's kinda similar, because my two favorite kinds of pieces to play are really fast crazy ones and also really calm pretty ones- basically opposites. It's weird how that happened.

I am reeeeally enjoying the Piano Guys book I got- it's the one for Limitless, their newest album. I've been playing through some of the easier sight-readable ones and have really enjoyed their music- specifically All of Me and Waterfall, those are my two favorites.

I LOATHE scales. Who doesn't, honestly :P I also don't really love Bach.

I've been playing for about eight years.  I wouldn't say I'm particularly good, though.

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

So, it's kinda similar, because my two favorite kinds of pieces to play are really fast crazy ones and also really calm pretty ones- basically opposites. It's weird how that happened.

This^^^^^^^ 

There’s no in between for me when it comes to repertoire. I love the intensity of fast paced pieces and the fact that I generally get to be really aggressive and just bash the keys (without breaking the piano, I promise), but I also love the beauty of the slower, more elegant pieces where I get to be really expressive. I usually have periods where I’ll be really into one side or the other. Right now I’m in aggressiveland. Pieces themes around nature are also my go-to.

I also love playing songs from various soundtracks. Zelda, Xenoblade and Studio Ghibli all sound great on piano. 

Edited by The Awakened Salad

I personally only like fast, loud ones.

I am currently playing carry on my wayward son

The fastest thing I’ve ever played was “Tribute To Roberto Garcia Morrilo” It’s freaking insane but it’s one of those ones that sounds a lot harder than it actually is.

All of Me is amazing! My favorite to play. I like Waterfall too. I've been playing at least 10 years; I'm not sure exactly how long. 

Ahh yes, it’s about time that a thread like this existed! Personally, I use the piano to play video game music the most; I even recently got two piano books, one for Hollow Knight and one for Stardew Valley. Both are pretty tough, but I’m really getting the hang of the Hollow Knight songs. Otherwise I usually find and play sheet music on musescore

Two others: @Vapor, @Condensation

Classical music is fun too!

Technically about ten years, but at some point it became very sporadical. I even took like over a year to learn a single song and didn't even finish it.

So yeah, I'm pretty much still a beginner. I'm trying to go back to it though.

Posted (edited)

I now consider myself able to play this, after 2ish weeks of practice :lol: (Still need to memorize, but I tend to do that automatically :ph34r:):

Spoiler

Next up: His rendition of A Million Dreams. Which is a heck of a lot harder... challenge accepted!

Edited by Matrim's Dice

Took a few years of lessons a while back, but now only play occasionally as a hobby!  Great way to relax and focus.  Most recent song learned is "Clocks" by Coldplay.

I'm starting living on a prayer by bon jovi now.

I've been playing for almost 12 years, I mostly play as a hobby nowadays. I mostly play songs from games, a lot of Xenoblade, Zelda, and, recently, Octopath Traveler.

Posted (edited)

Hi! I am originally a classical saxophonist, But since the age of 16 I had to take on a second instrument in high school, Keys were mandatory If they weren't already your main instrument. I am a tinkler, but the last 5 a6 years I've gotten a lot better at chords and the general piano. 

I used to know all of Für Elise, but that's degenerated.... I mostly play what I listen to, and my favorite band is Europe, so there's a lot of that on my repertoire. I also know half of the atetris song, and the water theme from Super Mario Bros 1

I recorded myself playing Carrie when I had access to a grand piano through work once. A couple of months later I was able to show it to the keyboard player in the band! 

Edited by Aphasia85