What skills have you learned during Quarantine?

NattyBo

I've learned I can flambe a little. Brandy is obviously better with bananas, and bananas that have been flambe-d in brandy tasted GREAT in oatmeal. It turns it into some sort of decadent brunch/dessert version. My parents think that if I learn how to make crepes, then the brandy-flambe-d bananas would work best there. I don't have an interest in making crepes (my favorite flavor is really just sugar and butter, and pancakes are overall better), but they do have a point. 

I'm still working out which alcohol would go best with sauteed mushrooms for an extra decadent spinach, mushroom, and cheese omelette. I'm thinking vodka, but that may be because it's one of the few alcohols we have in the house. 

22 hours ago, NattyBo said:

Did you get a mauler? What kind of tool you using, and generally what kinda wood, if you don’t mind sharing?

I use a Fiskar X27 super splitting axe, and whatever wood I can take off the hands of random people.

Edited by BreezeCauthon
Wrong axe originally

1 hour ago, twenty second of the sun said:

I learned 1-2a style throwing/yo-yoing

HA! I jut found this thread and thought “oh I can share that I’m learning to yo-yo”

great minds think alike

Ive also been learning to drive, I could’ve gotten my license months ago but I haven’t practiced enough 

also driving is terrifying how the heck is this even a thing 

“hmmmm yes, I am allowed to operate this incredibly large, incredibly fast machine that can kill people because I took an online test hrmmmmmm”

On 7/22/2020 at 7:25 PM, NattyBo said:

Sure.

First loaves are some variation on this (ie, adding some salt with an egg wash, etc)

3 cups all purpose flour (King Arthur is what I like)

1 1/2 tsp fine salt

1/4 tsp instant or rapid rise yeast

1 cup water

6-8 tablespoons lager beer (the alcohol bakes out, if that's a concern for anyone!)

1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar.

Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the water, vineger and beer and combine with a rubber spatula (I use my hands, honestly) until it resembles a shaggy ball. You'll get a feel for if the dough is too dry or wet. Just add flour or tiny bits of warm water accordingly. Cover that and let it sit for 8-18 hours.

Lay 18 by 12-inch sheet of parchment paper on counter and spray with oil spray. Transfer dough to lightly floured counter and knead 10 to
15 times. Shape dough into ball by pulling edges into middle. Transfer dough, seam side down, to center of parchment and spray surface of
dough with oil spray. Pick up dough by lifting parchment overhang and lower into heavy-bottomed Dutch oven (let any excess parchmenthang over pot edge). Cover loosely with plastic and let rise at room temperature until dough has doubled in size and does not readily spring back when poked with finger, about 2 hours.

Adjust oven rack to middle position. Remove plastic from pot. Lightly four top ofdough and, using razor blade or sharp knife,
make one 6-inch-long, 1/2-inch-deep slit along top of dough. Cover pot and place in oven. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Bake bread for 30
minutes (starting timing as soon as you turn on oven- ie, don't preheat the oven)

Remove lid and continue to bake until loaf is deep brown and registers 210 degrees, 20 to 30 minutes longer. Carefully remove bread from
pot; transfer to wire rack and let cool completely, about 2 hours.

The cheddar/jalapeño recipe is from here:

https://tasty.co/recipe/dutch-oven-jalapeno-cheddar-bread (I used some pickled jalapeños I made, too).

For the charcoal grilled flatbread/pizza crust, I use this recipe:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013233-grilled-lebanese-flatbread

Thanks!! 

13 hours ago, Danex said:

HA! I jut found this thread and thought “oh I can share that I’m learning to yo-yo”

great minds think alike

Ive also been learning to drive, I could’ve gotten my license months ago but I haven’t practiced enough 

also driving is terrifying how the heck is this even a thing 

“hmmmm yes, I am allowed to operate this incredibly large, incredibly fast machine that can kill people because I took an online test hrmmmmmm”

I agree entirely.

Same. If you read Keeper of the Lost Cities, the elves share your opinion. Wouldn't it be so much easier if we could all light-leap(follow the particles of light where we want to go)?

I've also been learning to drive, @Danex. I feel like you shouldn't be able to drive until you are 35 or you are 16 and have seen someone you love die in a car crash. Reducing fuel economy, car crashes, and climate change in one blow! :lol:

3 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Wasing the learning of High Imperial in Quarantine.

I honestly still never picked it up in Mistborn. Just kinda get the gist of it....(the slang, that is...)

Edited by NattyBo