Quick Fix 45: To Set an Example

On 6/15/2020 at 3:15 PM, Fifth Scholar said:

It’s time for me to return to SE as a player, and a nice vanilla game which won’t require anything except voting seems right up my alley. (It also seems fitting that it’s run by Orlok and Stink, the first GMs I played under.) Al Funcoot, a man accustomed to a life of luxury until the Ministry discovered his noble lineage had been elaborately faked, and who has thus now fallen on hard times, is joining. He hopes to survive long enough to create new false connections to the House Ffnord, thereby continuing his loftier existence as a count within the nobility once more. 

Al funcoot :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

do you have an eye tattoo on your ankle?

very well, sign me up. 

I will be Vilt Fayn Dangera

24 minutes ago, Straw said:

It’s also so the GM has someone to put in the writeup if you die. I usually just make something up or put Straw as my RP name. :P

Oh right, forgot about that part. I wasn't going to for QF's, but I suppose I'll RP as Rieldi.

With the death of the Lord Prelan Orielle, there was a position up for grabs within the Canton of Orthodoxy. I’m sure it doesn’t need to be mentioned what exactly that position is, as we all know why you’re really here. However, it surely doesn’t make much sense for there to be Obligators and then immediately above the Lord Prelan who rules over all (that the Lord Ruler also rules over) now does it? And so we must introduce at least one tier inbetween, who shall be named the COO (Chief Obligator Officer). And that COO? Why, it must of course be me, who you can call COO Perative. As Perative, it is my duty to find a replacement for Lord Prelan that isn’t me, but I don’t really feel like putting much effort into it this time, you know? So much hassle when an Inquisitor can just come in wherever they feel like it and then the whole situation has to start over again. 

And so I come up with a new system, just like that! You see, Orielle was ultimately quite inept when it came to dealing with the Skaa who feel like they can go above their station in life, so to solve that I will have those Obligators here prove that they will not have such problems in their future career. Your task is quite simple. You will all be sent to one such group with the goal of dismantling their plans through any means necessary. And I want you all to co-operate on this one, as it is only step one of the interview process for the Lord Prelan position that you all must so covet. Anyone who doesn’t make it back? Well, they have quite simply failed the process from the very start.

I have high hopes for you Obligators, and know that any exceptional performances will be rated quite highly for further stages in the process. With that, I wish you good luck and a safe trip to the city of Fadrex.

Welcome to QF45.

Please remember that you must vote every cycle. 

Ties shall be decided randomly.

Player list:

Spoiler

1. Gears
2. Matrim's Dice - Rieldi
3. Ashbringer
4. Straw
5. Vapor
6. Shard of Reading - Reading
7. Mist - Lumen
8. Lord_Silberfarben
9. TJ Shade - Box
10. The_Truthwatcher
11. Eternum
12. MysticLotus - Feather
13. TheYoungPyromancer
14. Experience - Drahs Xperience
15. Frozen Mint
16. Ventyl - Aaiden Etteax
17. Fifth Scholar - Al Funcoot
18. Devotary of Spontaneity - Caliex
19. Xinoehp512 - Pelran
20. StrikerEZ - Varen Darland
21. Lahilt - Vilt Fayn Dangera
22. Sparkrunner - Roadwalker

Voting is mandatory, so I am going to roll a random number and vote The_Truthwatcher. All active players should vote on someone with no votes on them as on C1 we don't have suspicions. If a player is inactive, they will eventually be obliterated by the no-vote filter, so no need to worry about them. I would not be opposed to strictly lynching those who do not vote as they would die soon anyway in lieu of leaving the lynch to random chance. Do not forget to vote.

Hello! This is the post where I would usually do a rules analysis post. Obviously that won't work this game. :P

I haven't played with a vote requirement filter since my very first game, which was quite similar to this one (although there were roles that could force people not to vote, making it much more risky to abstain). I agree with Gears that we don't need to worry about full inactives, although low activity could still be a problem.

1 hour ago, Gears said:

Voting is mandatory, so I am going to roll a random number and vote The_Truthwatcher. All active players should vote on someone with no votes on them as on C1 we don't have suspicions. If a player is inactive, they will eventually be obliterated by the no-vote filter, so no need to worry about them. I would not be opposed to strictly lynching those who do not vote as they would die soon anyway in lieu of leaving the lynch to random chance. Do not forget to vote.

If every player were to get on and place a vote on someone with no votes, then every player would wind up with a vote on them, meaning that a random player will die. While this wouldn't necessarily be disastrous for the village, it wouldn't really provide much information. Lynch discussion might be speculative and suspicions low on the first turn, but having lynch contention will provide clues for analysis on later turns.

TL:DR; Don't be afraid to put your vote on someone who already has a vote on them.

I'll stick a vote on Lahilt for now. @Lahilt

Edited by xinoehp512

4 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

TL:DR; Don't be afraid to put your vote on someone who already has a vote on them.

I was trying to say that we should avoid placing votes on people with votes until a lynch discussion begins as that would allow elims to hide in the herd or claim innocence by saying that they didn't vote on the villager. 

Personally, I'm not going to place any votes until I find someone I want to vote on. Random votes are useless since they show no intent to kill. I'd rather keep my votes for legitimate circumstances. Just something to keep in mind.

Hmm, Gears, you said that the lynch would be "random chance", if I understand correctly. What makes you think that?

Also, you said that "on C1 we don't have suspicions". Why do you think that? We can certainly get suspicions from posts, not just flips.

1 hour ago, Gears said:

All active players should vote on someone with no votes on them as on C1 we don't have suspicions.

36 minutes ago, Gears said:

I was trying to say that we should avoid placing votes on people with votes until a lynch discussion begins as that would allow elims to hide in the herd or claim innocence by saying that they didn't vote on the villager. 

Hm. There's a contradiction here. Your first post heavily implies that your "vote on someone with no votes" plan applies to all of C1. Without much else to go on yet, I'll vote Gears. We'll see how the cycle plays out.

1 hour ago, Gears said:

I would not be opposed to strictly lynching those who do not vote as they would die soon anyway in lieu of leaving the lynch to random chance.

We won't get any information with this strategy. SE games only work with accusations, betrayal, and backstabbing. :P We have to lynch based on suspicion if we want meaningful lynch discussions.

In fact, because of the inactivity filter, we can safely assume that if someone's not voting, it's not an elim trying to get out of killing a teammate, and is indeed someone who's gotten caught up with life. I'm firmly against lynching people we see being inactive.

19 minutes ago, Straw said:

Personally, I'm not going to place any votes until I find someone I want to vote on. Random votes are useless since they show no intent to kill. I'd rather keep my votes for legitimate circumstances. Just something to keep in mind.

To be clear, I'm fine with my target being killed. I'm trying to take a page out of Araris's book this game and make my votes more 'stabby'. We'll see how it goes. :P 

7 minutes ago, Frozen Mint said:

In fact, because of the inactivity filter, we can safely assume that if someone's not voting, it's not an elim trying to get out of killing a teammate, and is indeed someone who's gotten caught up with life. I'm firmly against lynching people we see being inactive.

In addition, elims are much less likely to go inactive, since they have a higher incentive to stay alive. If that wasn't enough, they also have a doc in which their teammates can remind them to post a vote if they forget.

• Elbereth locked and unpinned this topic
5 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

To be clear, I'm fine with my target being killed. I'm trying to take a page out of Araris's book this game and make my votes more 'stabby'. We'll see how it goes. :P 

Why would you want to kill a random person? Lahilt hasn't posted yet, so they have roughly the default odds of being an elim.

5 minutes ago, Straw said:

Why would you want to kill a random person? Lahilt hasn't posted yet, so they have roughly the default odds of being an elim.

I mean, I'm not set on it. Most likely I'll change it before the end of the cycle. I won't change it just because he posts, though.

I'm also rather new to the whole 'stab-voting thing', so I might be doing it totally wrong. :P.

7 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

I mean, I'm not set on it. Most likely I'll change it before the end of the cycle. I won't change it just because he posts, though.

I'm also rather new to the whole 'stab-voting thing', so I might be doing it totally wrong. :P.

Nah, I think you're correct on what stab voting is. I just personally prefer to place votes on people based on posts. If someone is persistently inactive or just makes filler posts, I might throw a stab vote on them. I'd prefer to keep my votes somewhat aligned with my reads if possible though.

Hmm, thought this started tomorrow... My bad.

This will certainly be a change for me. My first two SE games were both Role Madness and now my third game is 100% vanilla :P 

RNG gives my vote to Lord_Silberfarben (@Lord_Silberfarben) We'll see what happens when I actually take the time to get some reads.

Edit: Read the posts more carefully. Sounds like the popular opinion is shying away from random votes, so once again I'll get some reads and then decide what to do. 

Edit No. 2 in C Major (:ph34r:) @Orlok Tsubodai, how long are the cycles?

Edited by Matrim's Dice

Just popping in to say hello. I won't be much more active until tomorrow morning (though I'll probably take the time to respond to things after I'm done dealing with rollover tonight if people tag or quote me). Just want to say that I think placing a vote on someone who hasn't posted yet is a pretty good tactic to get them to post. Gives them an incentive to get online. Once they do post, then you can evaluate whether or not you'll leave your vote on them or not. For now, I'm going to go ahead and put a vote on Eternum. @Eternum You were the first name I saw when I scrolled back up and glanced at the player list. Explain why you should not be killed. :P 

18 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Hmm, thought this started tomorrow... My bad.

This will certainly be a change for me. My first two SE games were both Role Madness and now my third game is 100% vanilla :P 

RNG gives my vote to Lord_Silberfarben (@Lord_Silberfarben) We'll see what happens when I actually take the time to get some reads.

Edit: Read the posts more carefully. Sounds like the popular opinion is shying away from random votes, so once again I'll get some reads and then decide what to do. 

Edit No. 2 in C Major (:ph34r:) @Orlok Tsubodai, how long are the cycles?

As this is a QF, cycles are 24 hours long, ending and beginning at midnight, British Summer Time.

12 minutes ago, Straw said:

Am I the only one who really dislikes the current voting trend? There are five votes at the moment, and only one of them has an actual reason behind it.

Yes. After dieing/playing in the most resent LG, and knowing how much posts can be read into, I will refrain from voting until I can be more certain.