Quick Fix 45: To Set an Example

_____

Feather sat in the corner of the room, listening to the discussion of which house to rob. She had finally managed to get one of the dresses she was working on, and was sitting, doing a little of embroidery. 

She personally thought they shouldn’t go after Orielle, as their fabric choices were decidedly lacking. Then again, she wondered if she’d be able to convince any of them to steal some good silk.

Yesterday, Ash, Truth and Mint has accused her of being a spy, but in the end one of them had found a spike amount Mint’s things and they had sent them down to the jail. Feather had hoped Mint would at least give back her good coat, but they had gone down into jail without even considering giving it back!

Edited by MysticLotus

1 hour ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

Well, I will vote Lotus, just in case.

This was a really nice first game and I had lots of fun.

My best guess for the elim team is Fifth/Straw/Lotus/Mint. Let's see how many I get right.

Please put all votes in red. If you're not sure how to get red from the editor, another way to do it is to type in [colour=red]NAME[/colour], but with American spelling with no u.

Edited by Arraenae

6 minutes ago, Arraenae said:

Please put all votes in red. If you're not sure how to get red from the editor, another way to do it is to type in NAME[\color], but make the slash / instead of \.

Your formatting went wrong. I believe Arraenae means to do this:

[color=red]Vote[/color]

Outside of the code box, of course. Just replace red with green to unvote.

Alright, here goes. I realise Truthwatcher might not be awake to respond to or see this, but here’s my reasoning in response to his points. 

21 hours ago, MysticLotus said:

Anyway, I think we should go after hours Lekal . They tend to have the best fabric choices.

If you want to go to a good fabric store, I recommend Reap What You Sew, a quilt shop with a convenient location in nearby Tathingdwen, and a friendly proprietor. Vote Tormander instead so we can rob the house Orlok seized control of. :P 

20 hours ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

Now we already know that atleast some of the elims voted on Mist, as the only other option is a Truthwatcher/Ash/Straw/Mint team, which would be weird since Straw is pushing for my lynch.

I am gonna say that this is not far from my suspicions, and I’m definitely considering Straw bussing you in addition to Vapor or Eternum as inactive fourth eliminators. 

Really, there was quite a high probability that Mint would be lynched and would then flip elim. I don't think there is any chance that this is the elim team. This doesn't seem like a mistake anyone would make.

I will agree that Mint should have had the good sense to include at least one or two Elims in her suspicions list, which is why I’m leaning Vapor/Straw as the fourth elim over Eternum. 

why don't you suspect Lotus at all? While Fifth raised some good points, if they are true, why didn't Lotus give those reasons? Frankly, the reasons Lotus gave were very weak.

I am not going to push for Lotus just yet, but I don't understand why you are not at least somewhat suspicious of Lotus?

An obvious hammer at the end of D5 onto an eliminator, when hammering onto anyone wouldn’t have guaranteed an elim victory, seems like a pretty foolish move for an Elim to make; there was no need for elim!Lotus to put Mint at risk when Devotary was a perfectly good mislynch which she was already uninvolved in. I think Lotus was trying to say this, but probably didn’t want to reveal if she had a PM with Devotary, which I understand. Villager-villager PMs are one of the few pieces of information the Elims don’t have access to, and there was no need for the public to know if the two were PMing when Devotary had already flipped village, and the hammer was fairly clearly devoid of malicious intent. I just think that Lotus’ behaviour is utterly devoid of evil intent when she could have easily secured an Elim victory at multiple points, and was being pushed fairly obviously as an alternative to Mint by yourself and Ash last cycle. 

6 hours ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

Also, villagers, do you not think it is weird that nobody is coming to my defense?

Not really? Outed eliminators (and I would consider you decently outed, given your vote on Lotus last cycle) rarely receive defence from teammates, as that ties them closer together. Consider Mint, who basically wasn’t defended for four cycles straight—the lynch just kept getting deflected elsewhere because she and her teammates kept quiet and let discussion slide off her, until we finally committed to killing her last cycle. It’s another reason I’m not eliminating Straw from my suspect pool despite his attacks on you this cycle, as it could be very effective distancing. 

Al Funcoot straightened his cloak. A thin trickle of blood was running down his left arm where a stray dagger had caught him in the conflict—Caliex’s last attempt to reach “Mint” before being forcibly restrained had instead connected with his arm, and fencer though he was, he had not the agility to avoid the quick strike. The new crew leader had fortunately taken Caliex away before more harm could be done, but Funcoot saw in her eyes, and in the eyes of several around him, suspicion for Mint nonetheless. It was all but confirmed that she was an Obligator now, so he hung back, joining in the chorus of general condemnation, while darting his eyes side to side when he judged nobody would be looking. Grim nods passed between him and the others. They would do what needed to be done, when the time came. Just before the crew leader’s scheduled arrival, they would spring the trap. But not yet. They let Mint be bound, knowing her freedom was imminent, and their positions strengthened as Rae took her away. Varen was taken down by Ash, and still Funcoot waited. 

The blood continued to trickle, more slowly as the wound clotted, yet still running in a steady stream down his bare flesh. Olaf clenched his fist, allowing the red liquid to seep under his dirtied fingernails and spread around his hand. A bloodstained hand: that seemed accurate enough. He had murdered, or was complicit in the murder, of most of these men. Yet what did this pathetic group of skaa hope to achieve? The Lord Ruler’s might could not be tossed aside by a dozen, however committed. Power resided not in desperate groups of peasantry with no coherent plan, but with those who possessed the adequate means to seize it for themselves, or those who sought the already powerful. Funcoot had been forced to do the latter, bending his back to the obligators and helping them infiltrate this crew. It pained him, but he did it. He had experience acting noble—he had, after all, been one before—but nobility of character, he surmised, had long since been abandoned. It was a different nobility he sought, and it was not one the thieving crew would grant him. Those with the Lord Ruler’s favour, however? They would. And so his decision was easy. A new position, and he would begin magnifying his own strength without needing to appease those now above him.

The false documents had been almost child’s play, especially given House Ffnord’s lack of rigour in monitoring family connections. But getting an Obligator to accept them was always going to be the challenging part; until now. He had three standing by, eager to help him assume the identity he had painstakingly crafted. An identity far more in line with his true self than the buffoonish Funcoot had ever been. An arsonist. A politicker. And above all, a broken idealist, an expert in using the systems he had once decried to gain ever more control for himself. 

Count Olaf of House Ffnord. 

A knock sounded on the door of the room. Somewhat suprised, an individual (whom the all-knowing Ashbringer had forgotten to give a name) opened the door to find a neatly wrapped package on the floor outside, with an old-fashioned scroll sitting on top.

“Don’t worry, everyone. It’s just a Luthadel delivery order,” the man said. As far as he could see there wasn’t any way of telling who it was for, so he picked up the note, and started to read.

“Dear Recipient,

Enclosed in this package is your replacement order from Mount Faleast Smithing and Shipping Co.. We are very sorry that you were not completely satisfied with our last item and found it to be ineffective for your needs. Your complaint was succesfully processed by the Canton of Finance and your replacement order is at no additional cost to you. If you have any further inquiries, please send a note to the Canton of Finance and our team will do our best to resolve your complaint as soon as possible.

We hope that this item meets our 100% Customer Satisfaction Guaruntee, and that you will continue to use Mount Faleast Smithing and Shipping Co. for all your blacksmithing needs.

Sincerely,

The Mount Faleast Smithing and Shipping Co. Team”

The man looked around at the assembled people. These were no blacksmiths, they were skaa rebels and theives. He doubted that he could even find a decent carpenter in this crowd. Then again, a decent number of the gathering were secretly obligator spies, bent on ruining the plot at hand. The man, like the rest, had never found any.

The man looked in the box, searching for any hidden messages or weapons. There... weren’t any. Just the simple iron tool.

“Alright,” he said, “who ordered the hammer?”

The night was a clear one, free of ash falling from the sky. Stars twinkled down upon the streets.  Down in the city below, a thieving crew moved outside the walls of Tormander Keep. They moved slowly, opening windows, climbing over rooftops, and moving through the sewers. Mystic brazenly walked in through the servants entrance, carrying a heap of laundry. Nobody looked at her twice.

House Tormander was rumored to have a lavish collection of jewelry displayed in the main hall,  embedded with sparkling diamonds and winking rubies. Even more, the metals of the bracelets and necklaces in the stash could be melted down and sold to Allomncers. Rumor had it that the prize of House Tormander’s collection was a small ring with a single bead of atium displayed like a gem. The money from that could support the entire crew for life.

One by one, the members of Rae’s thieving crew drew closer to the center of the house, where the jewelry was displayed.

But it was not to be. As they stepped into the room, Fifth, Eternum, and Ash drew hidden spikes from their bodies and turned on the others. They were not crewmembers at all, but Steel Ministry infiltrators seated among the ranks. Rae’s crew fought back, but one by one they all fell to the Obligators.

Vapor was the last to fall. Between bloody lips, she croaked out, “Et tu, Ash?” 

Ashbringer only smiled as they brought their spike down through Vapor’s brain.

An Inquisitor stepped out from the shadows and smiled upon the remaining Obligators. “Well done! I was worried about your progress, but you did your work in time.”

Eternum hastily bowed. “We stopped them from robbing House Tormander, sir.”

“Indeed,” said the Inquisitor. “I have already retrieved Mint from her imprisonment, and gotten her testimony to events. Eternum, she had nothing but praise for you, and insisted that you be promoted to Prelan.”

Eternum lifted his head hopefully.

“Of course, it is too early to say. A single infiltration does not a Prelan make! Perhaps in a few more years.” The Inquisitor’s smile widened. “Get up, all of you. We have work to do.”

Truthwatcher was lynched. They were a Skaa.
MysticLotus was killed. They were a Skaa.

The Obligators have won.

Player List:

Spoiler

1. Gears - Skaa
2. Matrim's Dice - Rieldi - Skaa

3. Ashbringer - Obligator
4. Straw - Skaa
5. Vapor - Skaa
6. Shard of Reading - Reading - Skaa
7. Mist - Lumen- Skaa
8. Lord_Silberfarben - Skaa
9. TJ Shade - Box - Skaa
10. The_Truthwatcher

11. Eternum - Obligator
12. MysticLotus - Feather
13. TheYoungPyromancer - Skaa
14. Experience - Drahs Xperience
15. Frozen Mint - Obligator
16. Ventyl - Aaiden Etteax - Skaa

17. Fifth Scholar - Al Funcoot - Obligator
18. Devotary of Spontaneity - Caliex - Skaa
19. Xinoehp512 - Pelran - Skaa
20. StrikerEZ - Varen Darland - Skaa
21. Lahilt - Vilt Fayn Dangera - Skaa
22. Sparkrunner - Roadwalker

Eliminator Doc
Dead/Spec Doc
Spreadsheet

So ends QF45. Thank you all for playing. I hope you enjoyed it, and look forward to hearing your thoughts on the voting mechanics. From my own perspective, they didn't quite pan out as I expected (a valuable lesson for any GM with any set of mechanics, I think), but further thoughts will follow in due course.

Congratulations to the eliminators, and to all our new players who contributed so well in their first games.

Many thanks are owed on my part to Rae, who stepped in at no notice to co-GM when personal issues took Stink away from helping. Her write-ups have been fantastic, and have saved you all from cycles of Cycle X: TBC.

For those of you who haven't already, go and sign up for LG67: The Road to Urithiru - if it is anything like LG13 was, it will be great fun.

Thank you for running this, and I hope to see more games like this in the future. I'm probably going to be running a game fairly similar to this as a QF. One thing I was thinking was that future roleless games might want to set a player cap, since it's harder to balance for any number of players when alignment is the only thing you can change.

6 minutes ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

Wait a second. why didn't you guys finish this earlier?

You could have killed Lotus and finished the game a round early.

Eternum fell asleep before the end of the cycle. :P Rollover was at like 2 AM in Albania.

@The_Truthwatcher Mint said in the dead doc that they would've but Eternum fell asleep :P (And ninja'd by Mint because I forgot to press post lol)

Great game! Thanks to Orlok and Rae for running it. I had a blast talking in the dead doc with @Gears, @Mist, and @TJ Shade, and I spent the entire duration of the game guessing wrong on the elim team :P My closest guess was Truthwatcher, Straw, and Ash, so...

@Eternum I'll mention you specifically for, in the first cycles, almost exactly mirroring my thoughts. Which is insane because you were elim, and that made me 100% trust you. Nicely done, I look forward to playing with you more in the future.

@Fifth Scholar- I never got to answer your question on my display name, as you kindly killed me :P- calling me 'Mat' is perfectly fine.

GG everyone!

Edited by Matrim's Dice

Aha! I was right about @Eternum. :P Though, major props for gaining the entire trust of the village. 

@Ashbringer, I knew you were being more inactive than me! I wanted to attack you for it, but since you defended me for the same reason, I felt bad doing it. I should stop feeling bad while playing SE!

Good first games for @Gears, @The_Truthwatcher, and @MysticLotus. Lotus, I found your RPs funny xD 
Hope to see you all in more games! 
@Orlok Tsubodai, thanks for running this. It may have been vanilla, but it was still chaotic and fun. :)

Edited by TJ Shade

Awesome job Elims! You guys did so great this round!

Edit so no double post: @TJ Shade Thank you! I was drawing inspiration from that one stormlight interlude with the person who is obsessed with clothes washing, :P.

Edited by MysticLotus

This was a lot of fun, honestly. As my first game back, I couldn't have done any better :P

Fifth, Mint and Ash all did fantastic: If I hadn't fallen asleep on C6, we would've gotten a perfect win 24 hours earlier :P I expected us to have to fight for the title of Prelan, but hey! I'll take what I can get.

I look forward to playing with all of you again! The villagers too, I feel like Gears deserves an honorable mention for how quickly he picked things up. Definitely did better than me on my first game! Also, your monologues in the spec doc had me rolling.

33 minutes ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

Wait a second. why didn't you guys finish this earlier?

You could have killed Lotus and finished the game a round early.

@Fifth Scholar @Eternum @Ashbringer I need answers.

Well, uh, yeah. There it is. :P I fell asleep 40 minutes before rollover as we were preparing to hammer, and the whole thing got scrapped because without me it'd be a 50/50 chance between Mint and Lotus getting lynched and if they did it and Mint still got lynched, we'd just lose :P

The compulsory voting seemed a little counterproductive, honestly. People popping in just to place a quick vote so they don't die never helps. However, I did greatly enjoy the focus on pure social deduction. I'm not sure how the game still turned out as chaotic as it did, since the only thing people could do was vote and the only night action was our kill, but I'm not complaining. Thanks for running this, Orlok and Rae! 

EDIT:

@Eternum I'll mention you specifically for, in the first cycles, almost exactly mirroring my thoughts. Which is insane because you were elim, and that made me 100% trust you. Nicely done, I look forward to playing with you more in the future.

@Matrim's Dice Heh. Thanks! Goes to show that you really shouldn't trust me from now on :P Likewise!

Aha! I was right about @Eternum. :P Though, major props for gaining the entire trust of the village. 

@TJ Shade Indeed you were! Pretty sure you and Striker are the only two people who voted on me this game, and Striker did so as a poke-vote on C1. So props for that! Shame that nobody believed you :P

Edited by Eternum

Hey, I actually AM an obligator now! 

I actually was having inactivity problems this game, just with appointments and planning family vacations and things. There’s also the computer issue I was having, which should be gone now (I got a new laptop yesterday :)). Plus scrambling around trying to figure out when reset was and not blowing my Kandra cover in the LG.

Most of that was genuine. I definitely did play it up a bunch more, though.

And I was doing so well undercover, and then I went and forgot to move my vote to Mint... that was a stressful last round :P

Great game everyone! 

Edited by Ashbringer

Thank you @Orlok Tsubodai and @Arraenae for running this fantastic game! It was a blast to play and you guys did a really great job with all the write-ups!

@Fifth Scholar @Eternum I feel absolutely betrayed. :P I trusted you guys so much and couldn’t get that out of my head. Good job to you guys for that. And congrats to @Ashbringer for completely avoiding my suspicions, even if I didn’t particularly trust you. Good job @Frozen Mint for managing to wiggle your way out of the lynch many many times. :P

@Gears Congrats for playing a really amazing first game, and for having some really fun monologues in the spec doc. I’m excited to see how you do in future games!

Good job to all the new players (@Vapor @MysticLotus @The_Truthwatcher) for playing really well in their first game! I can’t wait to see how you do in the future. :)

This game was an absolute blast, even if I was absolutely so confused every single cycle till I died. I guess I’m glad that the elims felt they needed to kill me at the end there, so maybe I was doing alright actually. :P

Great game! I enjoyed talking in the doc at the end. Elims, great job. Reading through the doc, you kept thinking you were so suspicious, but we were all fairly oblivious.