Spren of Kindness

Thread Necromancy

4 posts in this topic

I know what thread necromancy is, but when would posting to a topic be considered necro?  Six months?  Two years?  Five weeks?

It really depends on the topic of the thread and how relevant it is to current knowledge/events.

I know that some forums frown on thread necros, but honestly, we're not that concerned about it. There are plenty of cases in which an existing theory thread may get data from a new book where it makes sense to continue the existing conversation (even if it's 19 months old) rather than start a new thread. This is doubly true when the original poster wants to pull it back up and discuss the new developments.

Granted, I do get a little amused on the odd occasion when somebody pops in and quotes one of my posts from, say, 4 years ago and says, "But this this is wrong! Here's why." I usually giggle to myself and then respond and point out that I made said post X years before the book in question proved my devilish cleverness to be nothing more than a flight of fancy.

So it's not bad to necro threads. Just pay attention to dates and things when you pull up an old discussion so you don't feel embarrassed later. :)

Thank you!

Very old topics are already locked. 

If you're adding something substantive, go for it, if it's not substantive and could be a new topic, I'd go make a new one.