Mistborn as metal detectors

Lotus

2 minutes ago, MysticLotus said:

So, we know that their is going to be a Mistborn era 3 that is modern age.

And Lurchers/Coinshots can detect metal, right? So what if we have a allomantic metal detector in airports?!

Seems a bit impractical but that is a thing in era 2.  Wax avoids the house Lurcher by willingly surrendering his guns at the beginning of the party in BoM.

27 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

In era 3 and 4 the greater amount of aluminum would render this obsolete. 

Oh that’s a good point! Aluminum guns.

You know what else??

The weird alien aluminum foil hats actually have a purpose in Mistborn.

You have to wonder if eventually 3D printed guns will become a replacement for pricier aluminum guns in the cosmere. 

It’s a process that’s fairly cheap and easy w the right equipment in our time. And it would circumvent coin shots or lurchers or allotmentic tech interfering w it. 

I can see a transition period where aluminum guns are a thing though.

43 minutes ago, Kaliar Syl said:

You have to wonder if eventually 3D printed guns will become a replacement for pricier aluminum guns in the cosmere. 

It’s a process that’s fairly cheap and easy w the right equipment in our time. And it would circumvent coin shots or lurchers or allotmentic tech interfering w it. 

Interesting idea.

3 hours ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

In era 3 and 4 the greater amount of aluminum would render this obsolete.

Thats only if your trying to Push or Pull on the metal. youd still be able to see if they had the metal on them.

Allomancy doesnt affect Aluminum but seeing where the metal is or if anyone has any, isn't affecting the metal

Edit:

i guess i was wrong. you cant see Aluminum with iron or steel

Edited by Eternal Khol

1 hour ago, Kaliar Syl said:

They made Magneeto's prison out of plastic in the Xmen movies, that's probably how they would handle Mistborn/Coinshots/Lurchers. Man, it would suck to be Wolverine on Scadrial. But, yea plastic is definitely going to make being one of the aforementioned Allomancers less powerful than in bygone eras. 

What about the Southern Scadrian cube from BoM? Have a lurcher/coinshot charge it, then place it on a scale of some sort. Nearby metal and the cube will push/pull on each other, changing what the scale reads. Then, you'd just need a single allomancer to charge all the sensors each morning, and you're good to go.

4 hours ago, DqwertyC said:

What about the Southern Scadrian cube from BoM? Have a lurcher/coinshot charge it, then place it on a scale of some sort. Nearby metal and the cube will push/pull on each other, changing what the scale reads. Then, you'd just need a single allomancer to charge all the sensors each morning, and you're good to go.

That’s a great idea!

On 6/11/2020 at 8:23 PM, Spren of Kindness said:

[Airport Allomancer metal detecting] would be super cool!

Eh. Not so much for the Allomancer...!

----

Kelden sighed as the red-faced passenger before him stammered that the several cylindrical metal tubes he'd Allomantically detected in the bag, which after so much practice with his Steelsight he could even tell were filled with tiny gears and wires, were just "sales samples" of a "really, ah, a new kind of electric toothbrush". Who needed a toothbrush that large, and where were the bristles? And why be so embarrassed about them?

"Sir, please bring this back to the airship counter and check this bag in for stowage. They'll examine it more closely there if necessary. But I can't let this past for carry-on. NEXT!"

Oh, Lord of Mists, help me to Survive this, he thought to himself. In the legendary world of ash, or through the Wild Roughs era of the Lord DawnshotCoinshots like me were fearsome heroes, who flew through the cities and could bring down a room full of men with a shower of metal fragments. Now, with constant airship traffic and strict laws about airspace starting at one thousand feet, part-aluminum guns available to anyone with a few hundred boxings, and telephone and electronic messaging rendering even Coinshot courier telegrams obsolete... This is what my Allomancy is worth as a day job?

Edited by robardin

1 minute ago, robardin said:

Eh. Not so much for the Allomancer...!

----

Kelden sighed as the red-faced passenger before him stammered that the several cylindrical metal tubes he'd Allomantically detected in the bag, which after so much practice with his Steelsight he could even tell were filled with tiny gears and wires, were just "sales samples" of a "really, ah, a new kind of electric toothbrush". Who needed a toothbrush that large, and where were the bristles? And why be so embarrassed about them?

"Sir, please bring this back to the airship counter and check this bag in for stowage. They'll examine it more closely there if necessary. But I can't let this past for carry-on. NEXT!"

Oh, Lord of Mists, help me to Survive this, he thought to himself. In the legendary world of ash, or through the Wild Roughs era of the Lord DawnshotCoinshots like me were fearsome heroes, who flew through the cities and could bring down a room full of men with a shower of metal fragments. Now, with constant airship traffic and strict laws about airspace starting at one thousand feet, part-aluminum guns available to anyone with a few hundred boxings, and telephone and electronic messaging rendering even Coinshot courier telegrams obsolete... This is what my Allomancy is worth as a day job?

Fair point.  Fair point.  Poor Kelden.  This really does show how technology can change the use of magic.