Hemalurgy and Bonds and Gods and Stuff..

Henri_FB

Question

Okay so, im kind of new to the whole cosmere thing, but since i found out about it one thing has been bugging me.
So, we know that Hemalurgy can be used to transfer a Nehel Bond, which made me think, the Heralds have a bond which basically grants them immortality, could you transfer the bond itself using Hemalurgy? and grant immortality to someone else?

I am assuming you would use Duralumin to transfer the Bond, so.. could you use Hemalurgy on a God? Could you pass Rayse's Bond which impedes him from leaving Roshar and in doing so set Rayse free?

4 answers to this question

So both of those cases are sort of weird.  the Heralds aren't precisely immortal.  they are cognitive shadows - basically ghosts - though they are able to take on physical form, which is a bit unique from what little we've seen of cognitive shadows.  nonetheless, while it may be possible to steal whatever binds them to the oathpact, it isn't really clear what would happen if you tried to give that to a living person.  As to Rayse, he probably doesn't really have a physical body for hemalurgy to act on any more, and I'd also guess that the bond that binds him to the roshar system is probably orders of magnitude larger than the bonds on any individual - he is a shard after all his powers are practically infinite compared to regular mortals - so even if you could find a body to practice hemalurgy on, you may not be able to prctically craft a spike big enough to affect it.

Welcome to the Shard!

On using hemalurgy against a Vessel, Brandon has said that their original bodies sublimate because they can't contain all the Investiture that's flowing through them. Their bodies are described as existing but being 'blended in'. So they really don't have a physical body that you could stick a spike into; while they may take on the appearance of a body they're just projections and they can create lots of those at once if they want to (as we see Leras do) so you're not gonna get anything from spiking one of those.

On the Heralds, have you read Oathbringer yet? There's a relevant bit of information from there but I don't want to give away anything from the book if you haven't finished it yet.

I dont think you would be able to use a spike on Rayse directly for that.  He does have a body somewhere (Leras dropped his original body when he died) but it may not exist in a normal physical form while he holds a shard.  But the critical thing is that I believe Rayse being trapped has more to do with the fundamentals of Investiture and Investment, and that the mechanism holding him on Roshar is very similar to what hold spren on Roshar, rather than a single specific shackle Connection that is chaining him to the planet/system.

Could you take away the Herald's gift (I'm not sure if it's a bond, I think it's innate power) using Hemalurgy? At this point I'm certain that's quite possible.

Could you grant it to someone else? That I'm not so sure about whether that part is feasible. 

Hemalurgy on a god on the other hand wouldn't work. They don't have a physical body to spike, and even if they did, the metals have a limit to how much investiture you can store in them, I don't think they'd hold the connection properly.