Adonalsium's devotion

Sebascadpi

So I was curious about the devotion aspect of Adonalsium and I couldn't find any WoB, page in the Coppermind or post in the forums that talks about it (I might have missed it and if so I'm sorry for bringing back a subject you may have tackled before) so I just wanted to bring this idea and see what you all think of it. 

From this WoB we can assume that the shards are fragments of Adonalsium's personality and, following this assumption, much like he kept a balance between preservation and ruin and had a desire to cultivate and the growth of things, he also had a sense of devotion directed towards to something or maybe someone. 

I don't think Adonalsium was devoted to a higher entity since this is one of the questions Brandon wants to leave open and having the most powerful entity in the universe worshipping something it thinks is even bigger would pretty much confirm it, so I think this devotion had to be directed towards something like a plan it had (much like how some people are devoted to the Diagram).

My best guess for what this plan could be is the purpose of giving sentience to the Cosmere, as theorized and somewhat confirmed in this WoB. It could also be related to the creation of the Rosharan System and how Adonalsium had an specific purpose for its creation, or it could be something entirely different. This also raises some questions, like: Did Devotion's vessel know what was Adonalsium's devotion directed towards after she ascended? If so, is this part of the reason Odium decided to attack her and Dominion? This could also be part of the reason why Odium decided to splinter and trap most of their power in the Cognitive Realm, so nobody could ascend and get knowledge of Adonalsium's intentions.

Well this is pretty much what I wanted to talk about, what are your thoughts in all this? 

7 minutes ago, Sebascadpi said:

Well this is pretty much what I wanted to talk about, what are your thoughts in all this? 

I have always assumed that since Adonalsium is generally portrayed as both benevolent and deific the intent of Devotion represents a creator's love for their creation.  In fact their is even a word for this agape.

4 minutes ago, Karger said:

I have always assumed that since Adonalsium is generally portrayed as both benevolent and deific the intent of Devotion represents a creator's love for their creation.  

This could perfectly be it, yeah. I just wanted to say that maybe there's more to this than we think. 

Devotion doesn't have to mean in the religious sense and as Karger pointed out, there are different kinds of love.

I'll link a pic of the Greek classifications

main-qimg-92245a8a469534b18ffd080ac06c0f9c.jpeg

(minor error: philia is repeated twice, at top left & bottom right)

Edited by R J