Anyone else like this?

Medium

So, whenever I talk about the stormlight archive near my family, or use its slang/curses, etc. etc. they are always so confused and i feel annoyed and frustrated. I beg them to read it and my mom tried, but did not get very far. She lost interest a few pages in. Sad. Anyone else like this?

9 minutes ago, Kalb said:

So, whenever I talk about the stormlight archive near my family, or use its slang/curses, etc. etc. they are always so confused and i feel annoyed and frustrated. I beg them to read it and my mom tried, but did not get very far. She lost interest a few pages in. Sad. Anyone else like this?

That's a general nerd thing. Doesn't matter what your nerd passion is, odds are the people in your family won't latch on(unless you have impressionable younger siblings to make really excited about the things you love). Your parents figured out their hobbies and interests when they were your age and changing as an adult is hard. I'm assuming you're still a minor, or maybe an early adult living at home. If you look you can probably find people that share your passions. Try a local game store. Make some friends there. Even if they haven't read the books you have, the fact they're in a game store suggests they'll have at least a passing interest. Try some conventions and make friends there. I made some of the best friends of my life staffing a convention. But also, be varied in your passions. Find the things you can connect with about other people on their level, don't just throw your passions at them. Your Mom and you have to share some interests that you can build on while you build other relationships around books you like/games/what have you. It's good to be a varied and complex person.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 6:40 PM, Aminar said:

unless you have impressionable younger siblings to make really excited about the things you love

Mhm. My brother worked to get me to read Mistborn and SA for the past 4 years, up until a month ago, and now that I'm in deep he gets frustrated when I talk about it

2 hours ago, Illwei said:

Mhm. My brother worked to get me to read Mistborn and SA for the past 4 years, up until a month ago, and now that I'm in deep he gets frustrated when I talk about it

My wife gets a little frustrated when my two little brothers and I get together. Lots of Sanderson talk, arguments about physics, and playing of board games. She likes 0 of these things.

Yes. I tried to start a Way of Kings read aloud with my family, where I'd read maybe a chapter or two every day. That didn't last a chapter. I've recommended the Mistborn books to a few of my friends to start off, but they're not really that interested haha. It's fine though, they still humor me by taking the Knight Radiants quiz and stuff haha

Edited by nbozb

I have slightly different problem. Myself, my two sisters, and my dad have all read Stormlight and various other Sanderson books.  When we get into that violet wine during family dinner, we get crazy with the talks and references and it annoys my mom because she feels left out. I tried to get her to listen to Way of Kings via audiobook, but she only made it through ten chapters.