Steel Inquisitive

Brandon's Blurb on Bondsmiths (BBB)

35 posts in this topic

Bondsmith oaths are focused on unity, unification, and bringing others together. However, this is a loose theme, as there are so few Bondsmiths—and the three sources of their powers are so different in personality—that the oaths can end up taking a variety of different shapes, depending on the situation.

Anyone can become a Bondsmith, subject to persuading one of the three spren who grant Bondsmith powers. Those powers tend to work differently for one Bondsmith than another, and even those Surges they share with other Orders tend to work differently for Bondsmiths.

The Bondsmiths are unusual in that there are never more than three full members. Historically, they worked to resolve disputes and help set up functioning governments. Even though there can only be three full members, there were times that some Bondsmiths did take squires. Beyond that, many of the retinues that protected the Bondsmiths were considered members of the Order–going so far as to swear oaths, even though they didn’t have a spren and never would. Some even called this the most pure form of being a Radiant, because these were oaths sworn not in the name of gaining powers, but simply for the good of the oaths themselves.

Bondsmiths are generally the heart and soul of the Radiants, the most protected and highly regarded of the Orders, capable of doing incredible things with the nature of oaths, bonds, and power. The Order, including the aforementioned squires and attendants, tends to attract the peacemakers of the world, those who want to bring people together rather than divide them.

I would love to hear thoughts on this! It seems like each Bondsmith is almost its own Order. 

My thought is that the "unity moment" was the Stormfather's special move.

Maybe the Nightwatcher's special thing is granting boons and curses? Like the Bondsmith can actually control that to a degree. 

Not enough info on the Sibling to guess:-)

We'd been wondering on the varied Godspren & their associated Bondsmiths for a while now, it's nice to be vindicated! 

I think the part of some people swear oaths even though they know they wont get spren is amazing. Shows that Radiants (At least not all of them) weren't power hungry. I wonder If the God spren would informally hold them to the oaths even without powers or if its simply a test of integrity. Id also Like to see a squire, though im not sure who would be Dalinars. Maybe Navani? 

46 minutes ago, R J said:

We'd been wondering on the varied Godspren & their associated Bondsmiths for a while now, it's nice to be vindicated! 

Yeah I've read a lot of discussion on the different powers, but now that it's "confirmed" wanted to see if there were more thoughts.

Those powers tend to work differently for one Bondsmith than another, and even those Surges they share with other Orders tend to work differently for Bondsmiths.

Does this mean that their individual surges work differently from each other? If so this gives a lot of weight to @asmodeus theory. (I think it was yours?)

42 minutes ago, Hentient said:

I think the part of some people swear oaths even though they know they wont get spren is amazing. Shows that Radiants (At least not all of them) weren't power hungry. I wonder If the God spren would informally hold them to the oaths even without powers or if its simply a test of integrity. Id also Like to see a squire, though im not sure who would be Dalinars. Maybe Navani? 

I thought that was really cool too! They're like a warrior/diplomat/monk society devoted to their Bondsmith.

I am most interested in that Bondsmiths can have squires.  This makes me wonder which order does not have them.

24 minutes ago, Karger said:

I am most interested in that Bondsmiths can have squires.  This makes me wonder which order does not have them.

This also makes me wonder, how many squires can a particular Bondsmith have simultaneously?

Just now, Halyo_Alex said:

This also makes me wonder, how many squires can a particular Bondsmith have simultaneously?

And what kinds of things can they do/ how their surges work?

I love this description so much. Everything about it is just awesome. Squires. People saying paths and living up to them even without spren simply because they believe in them. Unity... It is great. 

One more interesting aspect of it for me are the “anyone can be a Bondsmith if they can persuade one of the spren.” That could have really interesting impacts on the story depending on who could persuade the Nightwatcher or Sibling. I will be watching out for this. It also makes Dalinar bonding the Stormfather kind of hilarious in my mind. In my head it is now:

Dalinar: I need to become Radiant to lead this group and I’m not waiting for a spren to choose me. Stormfather, I am saying the paths and you will accept them and me.

Stormfather: Ugh... fine. But I don’t have to like it. 

I also am intrigued by how Bondsmith powers will differ from each other and also slightly from the adjacent orders of Radiants with the same surges. I think this helps explain Dalinar’s rebuilding of the temple in Thaylen City. I feel like they will still be related to the general surge properties, but be “flavored” by their particular spren. 

Personally I've been of the mindset that you have one Bondsmith that "specializes" in Connection related to the Physical, Cognitive, and Spiritual side of things (depending on which spren they have) and this blurb went a long way towards me convincing myself that this is what is up.  They each have their own niche, but they can do what the others can do in a pinch, if not as well.

1 hour ago, Karger said:

Are they technically squires?  The term isn't used in the Bondsmith blurb (where it is used in the Windrunner blurb) which implies that they might just be conventional bodyguards.

So, the detail about individual Bondsmiths getting different powers. Do we think that's just a matter of the Nightwatcher giving different powers than the Stormfather, or would two Stormfather Bondsmiths manifest different powers? 

Well there cant necessarily be two Stormfather Bondsmiths, so each of the 3 Godspren would give somewhat different powers.  

1 minute ago, Hentient said:

Well there cant necessarily be two Stormfather Bondsmiths, so each of the 3 Godspren would give somewhat different powers.  

well Dalinar has done things that no other Bondsmith seems to have done before, according to the Stormfather, so...

6 minutes ago, Gilphon said:

So, the detail about individual Bondsmiths getting different powers. Do we think that's just a matter of the Nightwatcher giving different powers than the Stormfather, or would two Stormfather Bondsmiths manifest different powers? 

I think its the first. The Stormsmiths will always have the same powers but they differ from the Nightsmiths.

5 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

well Dalinar has done things that no other Bondsmith seems to have done before, according to the Stormfather, so...

Oh I see what you're saying. I thought you meant two Stormfathers Bondsmiths at the same time. Sorry!

Edited by Hentient

Just now, Hentient said:

oh I see what you're saying. I though you meant two Stormfathers Bondsmiths at the same time. 

yea no, i meant (and gilphon probably also) that two different people bonding the stormfather at different times might manifest different powers.

Personally I think Bondsmiths under the same Godspren would have the same powers, but they might find different ways to use them? Ive always assumed that Dalinar was special because Honor had splintered, so he was able to do things other Stormsmiths hadn't.

Both oaths and powers are a bit different for each Bondsmith. What would Cultivation oriented, unifying focused oaths be? What would The Nightwatcher look for? I think the "I will rise each time a better man" is more towards this

And again, could someone petition The Nightwatcher for a Bond with her as their Boon?

1 minute ago, R J said:

And again, could someone petition The Nightwatcher for a Bond with her as their Boon?

Now that's a big brain boon.

The question is what would the curse be for that? ._ .'

This gives me hope the ardent that Dalinar sparred with might become a bondsmith squire!

Edited by Slowfast

1 minute ago, Slowfast said:

This gives me hope the ardent that Dali bar sparred with might become a bondsmith squires!

I like that idea:-) it could help heal the rift between Dalinar and Vorinism.

13 minutes ago, Slowfast said:

This gives me hope the ardent that Dalinar sparred with might become a bondsmith squire!

Ooo okay, I think you’re right. Although would he have to leave vorinism to be a squire? Considering who the Stormfather is and the information he’d then know, I don’t see how he could stay. Also seeing that ardent (Kadash??) come back to be with Dalinar again, but by choice instead of being forced into the Elites would be very powerful. 

5 hours ago, Karger said:

Indeed. I was sure that they were the ones that didn't have them. But the wording also suggests that it was something that only happened occasionally, so I suspect that it requires more intentionality than with some other Orders, like Windrunners and Lightweavers, were squiring just happens as a matter of course. I also find the information about the "retinue" super-interesting, although it is difficult for me to imagine how non-powered people could have protected a Bondsmith against the supernatural threats, like the Fused, the thunderclasts, the Unmade, etc., when we have seen that even the best warriors with access to dead shards are overmatched by them. I always thought that the Windrunners were the ones who protected the Bondsmiths. Hm...

I also disagree about Kadash - Sanderson pointing out that religious leaders tend to become Edgedancers is oddly specific (not to mention debatable from iRL point of view) and IMHO points at him. Also, it was Teleb who had been forced into the elites and he never had a problem with the Blackthorn and is now dead. We don't know the  circumstances  of Kadash  joining the elites.