Is anybody else worried about Hoid?

So, when I say 'worried about Hoid', I don't mean 'worried about his motives or the fact that he could definitely be evil'.  I mean, worried about Hoid.  Like... is he okay?  His Coppermind page says that before Shallan hugs him in WOR, he hasn't had a hug in years.  And there's that block that prevents him from fighting.  

Is he okay?  Does he have friends and a support system?  When was the last time he got to just hang out with his friends, no worries about the Cosmere?  

Just... I'm worried about him.

20 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

So, when I say 'worried about Hoid', I don't mean 'worried about his motives or the fact that he could definitely be evil'.  I mean, worried about Hoid.  Like... is he okay?  His Coppermind page says that before Shallan hugs him in WOR, he hasn't had a hug in years.  And there's that block that prevents him from fighting.  

Is he okay?  Does he have friends and a support system?  When was the last time he got to just hang out with his friends, no worries about the Cosmere?  

Just... I'm worried about him.

His support system is not in the best shape you know.

Hoid has been alone/hated for millennia, the only people that could possibly understand him despise/reject him, he does not have control over what he can do (hurting people), and he has watched countless loved ones wither and die. He is definitely not okay. He hides his pain behind a thousand masks, which makes me all the more excited for his truths.

35 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Considering his friends are all powerful gods now who are currently killing each other, going crazy, being killed and/or are already dead, or are otherwise out of general reach....... Safe to say he isn't exactly going out having drinks with Tanavast anymore. 

:(  I hope he gets something to make him happy now...

5 minutes ago, Gears said:

Hoid has been alone/hated for millennia, the only people that could possibly understand him despise/reject him, he does not have control over what he can do (hurting people), and he has watched countless loved ones wither and die. He is definitely not okay. He hides his pain behind a thousand masks, which makes me all the more excited for his truths.

He's such a deep character.  He looks shallow at first, but it strikes me that he's very to Shallan, hiding himself behind sarcasm and witty remarks.  Of course,I might be wrong, about their similarity, as I haven't read OB yet...

I kinda want to give him a hug now...  If he'd let me.

Just now, Spren of Kindness said:

I kinda want to give him a hug now...  If he'd let me.

Well, he didn't fight against Shallan's hug, so he'd probably let a spren hug him, if you have physical form. Hopefully he'll let an assortment of gears and wires embrace him. Can an assortment of gears and wires give hugs? Oh no, I might not be capable of hugging Hoid! You have to hug him extra hard for me!

7 minutes ago, Gears said:

Well, he didn't fight against Shallan's hug, so he'd probably let a spren hug him, if you have physical form. Hopefully he'll let an assortment of gears and wires embrace him. Can an assortment of gears and wires give hugs? Oh no, I might not be capable of hugging Hoid! You have to hug him extra hard for me!

I'll definitely do that!

As others have said. He's a particularly long-lived individual. He's lost a lot of people over the course of his long life. He's probably adrift between worlds for most of his time. The only people his own age don't get along with him much. He's alone.

Just imagine what was going through Hoid's head when Shallan hugged him. Assuming Hoid is as universally unloved as he appears to be, I'd estimate anywhere from centuries to millennia without a hug. He's tensing up for a punch and suddenly, he's being wrapped in a warm embrace. For the first time in a long time, he is completely, utterly speechless.

3 minutes ago, Gears said:

Just imagine what was going through Hoid's head when Shallan hugged him. Assuming Hoid is as universally unloved as he appears to be, I'd estimate anywhere from centuries to millennia without a hug. He's tensing up for a punch and suddenly, he's being wrapped in a warm embrace. For the first time in a long time, he is completely, utterly speechless.

That's beautiful... it's also giving me the feels like nothing else.

2 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

This is one of the many reasons that I'm excited for Dragonsteel. I want to know how much I should feel bad for Hoid. 

I have a suspicion we'll either feel very bad or we'll despise him.  Probably both.

6 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

That's beautiful... it's also giving me the feels like nothing else.

I have a suspicion we'll either feel very bad or we'll despise him.  Probably both.

Given the length of his life, I have no doubt that he's done both great good and great evil. I think seeing who he was at the start will provide some insight into his true character, though.

Given that Dragonsteel will release after the rest of the cosmere is established, I'd estimate it will come out between 10-20 years in the future. This disappoints me, but it will probably make Hoid's story that much more interesting.

3 hours ago, Gears said:

Given that Dragonsteel will release after the rest of the cosmere is established, I'd estimate it will come out between 10-20 years in the future. This disappoints me, but it will probably make Hoid's story that much more interesting.

Yeah, we'll know so much about his future that seeing his past will be utterly fascinating, knowing where it all ends up going.

If it comforts you all, he has very positive feelings about his new companion:

Stormlightning

If Hoid could have picked to join any order of the Knights Radiant, regardless of the Oaths he had to swear, just the powers, would he have picked Lightweaver?

Brandon Sanderson

He would have.

Stormlightning

Tell me more!

Brandon Sanderson

Lightweaving matches him very well, he's quite familiar with it and experienced with it. He's very good at using it and he likes it.

It's the fulfillment of a long, long quest of his to finally get full access to Lightweaving.

Stormlightning

Even though he had some sort of Lightweaving?

Brandon Sanderson

He did have some sort of, yes. He's a very very happy Hoid.

FanX 2018 (Sept. 7, 2018)

He also seems to be quite okay in Mistborn Era 2:

Ahuri3 (paraphrased)

In which published book is Hoid the happiest?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

He is the happiest when he is getting away with something. Not in the Stormlight Archive because he is nervous about Odium being there. I think he is the happiest during the Wax and Wayne series, in Bands of Mourning maybe.

Paris signing (Oct. 22, 2016)

20 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

that Cryptic is about to learn some VERY interesting Truths.

I hope we see at least one of Hoid's truths on screen. If they all happen in timeskips or offscreen, I will be incredibly disappointed.