Pierogies

So, I just really really wanted to make a thread about pierogies. Why you might ask? Because they are delicious. 

This is where pierogi-loving people can express their thoughts, questions, and concerns regarding this wonderful food. And joy. There cannot be pierogies without joy.

17 minutes ago, Comatose said:

The age old questions must be asked:

Boiled in water, or fried in oil?  

Do fruit pierogies count as dinner or dessert?  

Mmm personally I’d have to go with boiling.

Well, normally I would say that pierogies are above the bounds of fickle human tradition, but I’ve also always said that fruits are closer to a desert.

edit: I’ve been ninja’d. *Sees Nameless’ post*. *Gasps*. I will explain. @Nameless, a pierogi is like a dumpling; it’s unleavened dough that is wrapped around some kind of filling (like mashed potatoes), and then cooked in boiling water/oil, or in a frying pan. They are extremely good. You should try one sometime.

Edited by Rosharan A.C.

24 minutes ago, Rosharan A.C. said:

edit: I’ve been ninja’d. *Sees Nameless’ post*. *Gasps*. I will explain. @Nameless, a pierogi is like a dumpling; it’s unleavened dough that is wrapped around some kind of filling (like mashed potatoes), and then cooked in boiling water/oil, or in a frying pan. They are extremely good. You should try one sometime.

They sound good! they look delicious in the pictures on the internet I saw.

Uuuu, pierogi! As they are from my country I eat them more less once a month and they are definitely Polish most delicious food I’ve ever eaten! 

9 hours ago, Comatose said:

The age old questions must be asked:

Boiled in water, or fried in oil?
Oil

Do fruit pierogies count as dinner or dessert?
 I was getting them as dinner in preschool so I guess that yes.

I am not a huge fan, but I eat them from time to time...

@Comatose pierogi with fruits (blueberry for example) are usually considered as desert in my circles. We eat them with sour cream and sugar - really good!

I like to buy an already prepared pack of pierogi and I just put them in microwave usually, but if I have time and will I will fry them to make them warm and a little crunchy on the outside sometimes. I even add ketchup to meat pierogi sometimes ;)

6 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Anybody got a good recipe to make them? I tried a few, but they never were as good as I remember them...

My grandma. But now unfortunately she got a cancer, so I haven't seen her for a looooong time:(

3 hours ago, Sorana said:

Anybody got a good recipe to make them? I tried a few, but they never were as good as I remember them...

I wish I did, but I usually use the store-bought kind :P

Edited by Rosharan A.C.