What is your favorite smell?

Share whatever smell you think is the best! Cinnamon? The Ocean? Freshly-cut grass? Your favorite sweater? It’s up to you!

I’ll go first. Say I’m weird if you want, but I think the best smell is when you open a freezer and lean in; that cold, sharp smell that comes out of it is just exhilarating. 

THE SMELL OF THE VOID. That deep, pure nothingness spiraling into your nostrils with every breath, overtaking any other scent, swallowing up your olfactory information until all there is is air. 

(This is my dumb, melodramatic way of saying I don’t have a sense of smell, lol, feel free to ignore this post) 

I really really love the smell of books for some reason. People have caught me opening books and sniffing them more times than I’d like to admit. They have an oddly comforting smell. Certain books smell a certain way, and they can evoke specific memories and feelings. For example, my copy of The Final Empire smells a certain way, and I can’t describe it because it just smells like The Final Empire. But I can open my copy, take a sniff, and all a sudden I’m just hit with this wave of emotions and memories and nostalgia and it’s so distinctly The Final Empire, and I’m remembering all of my favourite moments and these little details. It’s like a time capsule.

This generally only applies to books I own that I’ve already read, but sometimes I’ll open a new book and think “huh, this book smells like this other book that I’ve read before”. (Only the memories part. I still really like the smell of new books that I haven’t read, I just don’t have any memories associated with them yet.)

Don’t even get me started on the smell of libraries. 

(I also like the scent of freshly baked bread, and of cooking food in general) 

Edited by The Awakened Salad

@The Awakened Salad, literally everything you said. In addition to that, there’s a certain kind of soap that’s supposed to smell like a meadow, and while it doesn’t do it exactly, I still love the smell of it. Also, the smell of a very particular beach house I go to nearly every summer. Oh, and the general smell of the outdoors.

Edit: How could I forget?? The smell of boiling water!

Edited by Truthless of Shinovar

1 hour ago, Karnage said:

"going down the cleaning isle of any supermarket"

This is the worst!  I'm intolerant to fragrances, and the ridiculous quantity of fragrance they put in things like laundry detergent - it's an issue.  X(

Lilacs in the spring, the smell that only yellow roses get, candy cap mushrooms (they smell like maple syrup only stronger), the smell of fabric softener coming out of the outside vent, anything sauted in butter and garlic, the smell of dog shampoo on one of my freshly scrubbed and tubbed dogs, the smell of piles of musty old books in my favorite used bookstore, cilantro mixed with lime, the smell of a freshly opened pop when the CO2 laden effervescence tickles your nose, the smell of wisteria at night, the smell of freshly harvested basil, the smell of barbecued corn on the cob, all the smells of food at the fair (especially the smell of the grease tour de force that is the gigantic block of curly fries), fresh churrros, the smell of the bed bath and bodyworks products that my wife uses, the cucumber smell of kumomoto oysters, and so many more. What a beautiful world 

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

Running water. Metal. Klein bottles. Falling face first into a snowdrift on a mountaintop. Cold. Fire. Ink. The scent that lingers after waking up from a vivid dream. Melting sand. When the rain is approaching and the clouds are gathering in the sky. Salt. Feathers. Ash.

Fooooooooooood!

A lot of the flowers traditionally known for their smells like jasmine. I go to the park to sniff them like a madman sometimes.

Weirdly, I like the smell of petroleum but I try to avoid that because I know that's not good, obviously

Meat cooking with something sweet and potentially extra savory. 

To me that mostly comes in the form of Thanksgiving. My mom will be cooking the turkey, but the ham will also be out, and on the stove she'll be candying some sweet potatoes. These smells will mix and create a smell that's just heavenly. Combine it with the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and a little Final Fantasy XII every couple of years (or Fallout New Vegas that one year), and you've got the perfect nostalgia trap. 

However if it's not thanksgiving, then making some candied bacon (just some brown sugar over bacon) works just as well.

...I'm too hungry for this...

• 1 year later...