The Mechanics of a Havah's Underskirt

Hessi's Ward

Question

So we know that a typical havah has an underskirt that is consisted of layers of pleated sheer silk to give volume. I picture the layers as having a starched lining or just straight up starched silk. However, I'm having a little trouble imagining them being worn without the waistband making an impression on the smooth bodice. Does anyone have an idea of how the underskirt work? Are the layers thin enough that the waistband isn't bulky from layers of pleated fabric? What kind of closure does it have? Buttons or ties or hooks and eyes? Could the waistband be tucked under the bodice vest to smooth out the silhouette? Is it closed at the waist or works like a kilted underskirt of a bustle dress?

1 answer to this question

Shallan mentioned in WoR that Jasnah's havah was a body-hugging garment, so I imagine that there aren't many layers in the underskirt.

The closure it has probably depends on the type -- if you remember the folio page from OB, it shows that the Liafor elites design all types of different havahs with ties, buttons, etc. It's like how we have sweater dresses, but there are infinite ways to design such a dress that still qualify it as a sweater-dress.

As far as I know, the only elements a havah absolutely must have are the safehand sleeve, the long skirts, and the high neckline. Everything else is subject to the whims of the designer, which really means that there's no standard for this.