Book recommendation game

1 minute ago, Wyndleblade said:

Try A  Confusion of Princes by Garth Nix. The main character is in the Space Navy instead of the Space Marines though;)

Another option you could try is the murderbot diares which starts with All Systems Red by Martha Wells.

'Space Marines' is somewhat of a flexible term in my definition.  It looks interesting, I'll definitely pick it up!

• 11 months later...

This looks fun, so *necroes* 

I'm looking for a book with good friends in it. It doesn't necessarily need to be about them, but it needs to feature them working together and enjoying each other's company. If there is tension between them, let it be for a legitimate reason, and not just drama for drama's sake.

Well, there's this not very well-known book series, but it's really good and it's called...HARRY POTTER :P

In all seriousness, maybe try Artemis Fowl. It's like older middle grade, and the friendship doesn't really kick in till book 3 but I think it might be what you're looking for. 

If you want friendship from the start and don't mind DaRknEsS then read The Gentlemen Bastard Series. But beware it is an adult book series and does have dark stuff in it, though the overall vibe is rather cheeky. 

I'm looking for a long book series (think 10 or more books with 500+ pages for each book) and epic (think Stormlight) also its gotta have darkness in it

Edited by Elf

Hmmmmmmm 

Simon Snow Series- Rainbow Rowell?

The Princess Bride- I don't know the author's name?

Sherlock Holmes- Arthur Conan Doyle?

The Raven Cycle- Maggie Stiefvater? (you really should re-read it please)

The Ascendance Series- Jennifer A Nielsen? (friendship kicks in in third book)

Edited by Elf

Read the first four, will check out the fifth, it looks interesting! And yes, I really should.

I forgot to recommend you any books! The Wheel of Time fits your criteria perfectly, but it has some flaws.

Riyria is also a great series, it's about two thieves, Royce and Hadrian.

The Vorkosigan Saga, by Lois McMaster Bujold is one of my favourites though they're science fiction and not very long. I started with Shards of Honour, which at first I wasn't terribly impressed by, but read on and by the second book I was deeply in love.

I hear The Black Company and Malazan Book of the Fallen are good, but I haven't had a chance to read them yet, so can't judge.

The Mortal Instruments, by Cassandra Clare is an awesome series. Don't be turned off by the first book's terrible cover, it's one of my favourite series. I wasn't the biggest fan of Jace but then I never like those types. Malec was my first ship :wub:

Wild Cards is definitely epic in its scope, though very dark. I wouldn't say grimdark, but it's treading a line. Not quite 500+ pages but still doorstoppers (I think; I have the Kindle editions.)

Try The Thief  by Megan Whalen Turner. There are 5-6 books. The first 5 are good, I'm not sure about the 6th but I've heard weird things about it. Like she changes things in a weird way in the 6th book. I haven't read it yet, but am planning to.

Edited by Tani

Ohh I completely forgot about The Thief! You should definitely try it, it's one of my favourite series. (I have a lot of those.) Personally I loved book 6, but I understand why opinions might vary.

I have one more recommendation!

Sandman, written by Neil Gaiman also fits, though it's a comic book. It's a absolutely beautiful series, I am in awe of Neil Gaiman's prose and storytelling. The art is also gorgeous, though I'm not as good a judge of that. Easily my favourite comic book ever. Haven't read the whole series though, I'm waiting for when I have the money to get paper books instead of reading them on my tablet.

Oh, and I forgot to mention before, Wild Cards is also very explicit. So don't read it if you're not comfortable with that.

On 1/13/2022 at 10:55 PM, Elf said:

I'm looking for a long book series (think 10 or more books with 500+ pages for each book) and epic (think Stormlight) also its gotta have darkness in it

The Dresden Files are great. They’re quick reads (like 300-500 pages iirc), but there are like 17, so it kinda matches your length requirements. It’s about an openly practicing wizard in Chicago, though nobody believes he can do real magic. They’re generally about stopping supernatural monsters or crime. First book: Storm Front, author: Jim Butcher

Also by Jim Butcher: Codex Alera (first book: Furies of Calderon) I’ve only read the first book & a half of this series, but it is very epic. It is set in a setting based off of the Roman Empire.

Powder Mage by Brian McClellan is also good, doesn’t fit your series length requirement though, being a trilogy and a sequel trilogy.

All of the above books have some adult themes (first two more than the third), if that bothers you.

• 1 month later...

38 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I'm looking for a book that has high stakes, low plot armor, and has a serious tone.

I'm not too concerned with Genre.

How does teen romance sound? The Selection Series by Kierra Cass is mushy and fun. I have read it twice it's so fun ahaha

Edited by Doomslug The Destroyer

13 hours ago, Frustration said:

I'm looking for a book that has high stakes, low plot armor, and has a serious tone.

I'm not too concerned with Genre.

If you’re not concerned with genre, and don’t mind historical fiction, I can’t recommend Projekt 1065 by Alan Gratz enough. Very high stakes, low plot armor, and a quite serious tone. Its a world war 2 story centered on an Irish boy who’s family (who are embassadors in Nazi-ruled Berlin) are spies for the British. Extremely good book.

I’m looking for something with a hard magic system, (military?) fantasy, that’s preferably a standalone. (Or at most a trilogy)

Edited by #1 Taln Fan

Just now, #1 Taln Fan said:

If you’re not concerned with genre, and don’t mind historical fiction, I can’t recommend Projekt 1065 by Alan Gratz enough. Very high stakes, low plot armor, and a quite serious tone. Its a world war 2 story centered on an Irish boy who’s family (who are embassadors in Nazi-ruled Berlin) are spies for the British. Extremely good book.

Oh, that sounds excelent

1 minute ago, #1 Taln Fan said:

I’m looking for something with a hard magic system, (military?) fantasy, that’s preferably a standalone. (Or at most a trilogy)

Does the Powder Mage trilogy work?

Does anyone know of any books centered around religion (real or made-up) where God(s) is portrayed not as the perfect, utterly unquestionable solution to all problems if you just trust an organization, but also not as secretly abusive or neglectful? (Specific ask, I know, but I figured it was worth a shot.) 

7 hours ago, AonEne said:

Does anyone know of any books centered around religion (real or made-up) where God(s) is portrayed not as the perfect, utterly unquestionable solution to all problems if you just trust an organization, but also not as secretly abusive or neglectful? (Specific ask, I know, but I figured it was worth a shot.) 

So, there's this book I read a bit ago called The Distance Between Lost And Found, by Kathyrn Holmes.  It's about three teens who get lost in the mountains while at a church camp.  It's more about the baggage the main character is carrying, but I think it's pretty good. 

3 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

So, there's this book I read a bit ago called The Distance Between Lost And Found, by Kathyrn Holmes.  It's about three teens who get lost in the mountains while at a church camp.  It's more about the baggage the main character is carrying, but I think it's pretty good. 

I'll look into it, thanks for the rec! 

Can't help you with the first thing sorry.

THE SECOND ONE I HAVE AN AMAZING SERIES. Ok, maybe you've read it maybe you haven't, but the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer is fairy tales but better. And if you have read those, then the Selection Series by Kierra Cass is good too. And if you've read both of these, then uh I can't help you sorry.

41 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

I would not call the Lunar Chronicles "fluffy". :P 

The scenes where a bunch of characters are just bantering together debatably are! And most of the couples are pretty fluffy with each other (with the exception of early-days Scarlet and Wolf).