Book recommendation game

So my first topic on this thread.

I have noticed an number of places where people ask for book recommendations here, but not a specific thread, and why not make it a game.

So one person will be "it" they will put a general idea of what their looking for(genre, content, themes etc) and the next person will recommend a book of that fits them as best as possible, and then they will put their inquiry down.

So here is mine, I'm looking for a fantasy book, where magic actually playes a role, not just mentioned. I would like it to be heavily centered on politics. And with almost no sexual content, nothing worse than Mistborn.

It has been a while since I read it, but the Wheel of Time series fits those requirements pretty well from what I can remember. I would definitely recommend confirming the last requirement, though, as my memory can be a bit fuzzy.

I would like a hard sci fi book that also has an emphasis on characters.

5 hours ago, Frustration said:

So here is mine, I'm looking for a fantasy book, where magic actually playes a role, not just mentioned. I would like it to be heavily centered on politics. And with almost no sexual content, nothing worse than Mistborn.

I’m cheating and doing both of you: The Legend of Eli Monpress has everything you’re looking for here. 

5 hours ago, Lunamor said:

I would like a hard sci fi book that also has an emphasis on characters.

Lunar Chronicles! I’m blanking on if you’ve read those or not already, please glare at me if you have, and a secondary recommendation of anything by Scott Westerfeld. 

Someone give me a good romance with lots of fluff, no angst. I need something pure and wholesome. 

4 hours ago, AonEne said:

Someone give me a good romance with lots of fluff, no angst. I need something pure and wholesome. 

The doesn’t exactly fit the requirement, but try out Pride and Prejudice (if you haven’t already read it). I’m about halfway through it right now, and while it does have some angst, it’s 1800s English angst, so it’s really not that bad.

Ok, I need a book that’s novel (pun intended) and really just drops my jaw in terms of the the world, plot, characters, magic (if applicable). Adventure is a must have as well.

On 6/6/2020 at 10:39 AM, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Ok, I need a book that’s novel (pun intended) and really just drops my jaw in terms of the the world, plot, characters, magic (if applicable). Adventure is a must have as well.

The Chrestomanci Series by Dianna Wynne Jones (author of the Howl's Moving Castle series, which is also a fantastically crafted universe) is pretty good. It's officially a children's series, but it's a children's series in the way that Zootopia is a children's movie, or how Mistborn is technically rated for Grade Levels 8-12. Though the magic system isn't as hard and fast as Sanderson's, it's always intuitive and makes sense within the setting, and it's made clear that even the most powerful characters aren't gods or overpowered. Read the books in order of publish date (which isn't in order of in-universe chronology, but it's better this way). The series takes place in a number of parallel universes that are connected (like how the various Shardworlds are stated to have interplanetary trade and interactions), and focuses on the Chrestomanci, the title for singular, incredibly powerful magician who is responsible for solving and investigating major magic related problems and dilemmas throughout the Related Worlds (twelve series of parallel universes that branch off at different major historical events, with each series being made up of a handful of worlds that are relatively similar), sort of like Doctor Who. I think what stands out about this series is that it has a very interesting take on the idea of how varying levels magic would be integrated into different societies, the ways that each of these worlds interact, the way that characters feel human, and the lack of unfinished plot threads and interwoven details that branch across the books in the series.

I want a fantasy book/series that covers a particularly slow burn romance that develops gradually and consistently, even after the two get together, rather than a "I just confessed that love you and we shall begin planning our marriage" situation. If possible, the fantasy system shouldn't rely on introducing new powers whenever the plot demands in order to solve problems. 

Edit:If it's not possible to have both details, then a book with just one would be fine. :) 

Edited by SirWolfe
Clarification

On 6/6/2020 at 10:55 AM, SirWolfe said:

The Chrestomanci Series by Dianna Wynne Jones (author of the Howl's Moving Castle series, which is also a fantastically crafted universe) is pretty good. It's officially a children's series, but it's a children's series in the way that Zootopia is a children's movie, or how Mistborn is technically rated for Grade Levels 8-12. Though the magic system isn't as hard and fast as Sanderson's, it's always intuitive and makes sense within the setting, and it's made clear that even the most powerful characters aren't gods or overpowered. Read the books in order of publish date (which isn't in order of in-universe chronology, but it's better this way). The series takes place in a number of parallel universes that are connected (like how the various Shardworlds are stated to have interplanetary trade and interactions), and focuses on the Chrestomanci, the title for singular, incredibly powerful magician who is responsible for solving and investigating major magic related problems and dilemmas throughout the Related Worlds (twelve series of parallel universes that branch off at different major historical events, with each series being made up of a handful of worlds that are relatively similar), sort of like Doctor Who. I think what stands out about this series is that it has a very interesting take on the idea of how varying levels magic would be integrated into different societies, the ways that each of these worlds interact, the way that characters feel human, and the lack of unfinished plot threads and interwoven details that branch across the books in the series.

I want a fantasy book/series that covers a particularly slow burn romance that develops gradually and consistently, even after the two get together, rather than a "I just confessed that love you and we shall begin planning our marriage" situation. If possible, the fantasy system shouldn't rely on introducing new powers whenever the plot demands in order to solve problems. 

Edit:If it's not possible to have both details, then a book with just one would be fine. :) 

It’s a bit little kiddish of me, but I really enjoyed Of Giants and Ice by Shelby Bach. It looks like a kids book rather like you described your book, but give it a shot. I think it fits your requirements.

I want a light, fluffy read with awesome characters and some good old fashioned, pure adventure, please. 

8 hours ago, Soulbinder said:

I want a light, fluffy read with awesome characters and some good old fashioned, pure adventure, please. 

Have you read the Redwall series by Brian Jacques? It is also a children's series but is quite good. (I wonder why everyone is recommending a children's series :ph34r:)

I am not looking for any book right now, but whoever wants to ask next can do so. :)

Edited by The_Elsecaller

5 hours ago, The_Elsecaller said:

Have you read the Redwall series by Brian Jacques? It is also a children's series but is quite good. (I wonder why everyone is recommending a children's series :ph34r:)

Redwall gave me whiplash, it kept on going from stuff like "and they caught the biggest fish and had a tea party" to "he was crushed under the wagon wheel and perished in a red mist" :lol:

On 6/9/2020 at 10:51 AM, xinoehp512 said:

There is a lot of food in that series.

I'm looking for an adult fantasy without egregious 'adult' content (i.e. nothing worse than Brandon). Wheel of Time would fit, but I've read that already. :P 

You might enjoy The Black Prism. I haven't finished it so I can't say for sure though.

I am leaving this open for anyone to put forward a request.

2 hours ago, Gears said:

I wish for an epic fantasy book series similar to the cosmere and the Kingkiller Chronicles. [I've probably already read the first thing you thought of, so a list would be wonderful, thanks

Malazan, it has the largest and most realized fantasy world that's ever been. There are over 20 books, written by 2 authors and they are amazing. Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erickson is a 10 part epic with each book having endings that rival the Sanderson avalanches. They are incredibly good but definitely more adult. They have the additional benefit that most of the series are complete.

Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber are great, or if you are looking for a standalone his book Jack of Shadows is great, but I think his novel Lord of Light is one of the best fantasy novels ever written. 

One other honorable mention is Bram Stoker's Gothic horror/ fantasy about an Egyptian curse,  The Jewel of the Seven Stars, which is a fantastic read and you can read the ebook for free.

I would like a good mystery series, like Sherlock Holmes, Raymond Chandler, and Nero Wolfe, good action, good mysteries and possibly solvable while you're reading them.

6 hours ago, Frustration said:

You might enjoy The Black Prism. I haven't finished it so I can't say for sure though.

I am leaving this open for anyone to put forward a request.

The lightbringer series is definitely “worse than Brandon” at some points

Edited by The Last Post

2 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

I would like a good mystery series, like Sherlock Holmes, Raymond Chandler, and Nero Wolfe, good action, good mysteries and possibly solvable while you're reading them.

The Davinci code is good! its a cool code solving book thats Interesting, and a little like national treasure. 

I'm looking for a good Dystopian, but something a little more complex and undiscovered then, for example, the giver. Any suggestions? 

7 minutes ago, Hentient said:

I'm looking for a good Dystopian, but something a little more complex and undiscovered then, for example, the giver. Any suggestions? 

Have you read 'The mysteries of Cove?'  the first book is like that.

Again free pick for whomever.

2 hours ago, Hentient said:

The Davinci code is good! its a cool code solving book thats Interesting, and a little like national treasure. 

Cool, I'll check it out. I've got a buddy that loves Dan Brown.

"We" by Yevgeny Zamyatan is really good, it's a pretty bleak story about a futuristic society where egalitarianism is strictly enforced, everyone lives in glass houses, no one has names, etc. It's a really good examination of the idea that when individual freedoms are surrendered for the collective good the worst kind of society is the result. It was written in th 1920's by a very talented Russian author that saw totalitarianism from the inside.

1 hour ago, Spren of Kindness said:

I'd like a good sci-fi, good characters and world building, no language/explicit content worse then a Sanderson.  Preferably no love triangle.

Ubik by Philip K. Duck is one of the best sci-fi stories I've ever read. It's about a futuristic society where firms employ telepaths known as precogs to gather industrial secrets, and the firm where the protagonists are from is the premiere counter pre-cog firm that companies hire to protect their secrets when they sense a pre-cog attack is imminent. It's a very convoluted story, and in typical PKD fashion it deals with the line between reality and psychosis induced visions of false reality with the line ending up very blurry indeed. It's really good!

11 hours ago, Frustration said:

Have you read 'The mysteries of Cove?'  the first book is like that.

looks like its got some adventure too, which is great!

9 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

"We" by Yevgeny Zamyatan is really good, it's a pretty bleak story about a futuristic society where egalitarianism is strictly enforced, everyone lives in glass houses, no one has names, etc. It's a really good examination of the idea that when individual freedoms are surrendered for the collective good the worst kind of society is the result. It was written in th 1920's by a very talented Russian author that saw totalitarianism from the inside.

Sounds similar to Anthem by Ayn rand, where he has a number for a name and is forced to be a street sweeper. Pretty much the whole time, when he talks about himself, he says "We" instead of "me" or "I" to emphasize the fact that he is part of a society. 

Thank you! Ill check these out. 

39 minutes ago, Hentient said:

Sounds similar to Anthem by Ayn rand, where he has a number for a name and is forced to be a street sweeper. Pretty much the whole time, when he talks about himself, he says "We" instead of "me" or "I" to emphasize the fact that he is part of a society. 

Hahhaha, yeah she was another one that saw the inherent weakness of self nullifying collectivism. I loved the Fountainhead, I'll definitely check out Anthem, it sounds great!

3 hours ago, Ghanderflaffle said:

I need a good ol’ dragon book. Preferably with a little length but not drawn out like Temeraire. After I was disappointed by Temeraire I need to renew my faith in the dragons!

There is DragonWatch by Brandon Mull, it's a lower reading level though.

Adventurer's Wanted has Dragons but the fist book is just a Hobbit knock off.

The Silmarilion! There it's perfect.

Free grab for anyone.

On 6/14/2020 at 10:28 PM, Spren of Kindness said:

I'd like a good sci-fi, good characters and world building, no language/explicit content worse then a Sanderson.  Preferably no love triangle.

A really really good Sci-fi is Cinder and the rest of The Lunar Chronicles. There arent love triangles, and its clean, and all togeather just a really good book. (The description on the back of the book is a bit cheesy but trust me its amazing.)

Another good one is Uglies by scott westerfeild. 

I don't have any book I'm looking for yet either so, I'll leave it open for someone.